• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pests Help! Several kinds of bugs just showed up on my plants.

(cross-posting from my glog, sorry if this is against the rules but I'm impatient and anxious)

Discovered the following thos morning while bringing my plants under the awning before today's rain.

These green eggs (?):

1fUJjY2l.jpg

And these green bugs (might be the eggs too, but this one definitely has legs):

ab30Nchl.jpg

And this dude on the underside of the plant:

vsDK44cl.jpg

And this off-white egg? I saw some whiter eggs of the same shape/consistency too:

shBSHB2l.jpg

And finally THIS insanity right on top of one of my Thai Chilis (and here's a bigger image):

cBBXmHsl.jpg

What's the game plan here; are some (or all) of these beneficial or should I be looking into pesticides? It's raining on and off all day today so I'm not about to crutch around looking for ladybugs.

Pic 3 looks like an assasin bug, an ally of yours so don't kill that one, unless it's from friendly fire ;)

The other ones do not look friendly, including the egg cases. But I'll let the bug experts here do the identifying.

But the white ones would worry me more than the aphid looking ones.

most of your pictures to me look like aphids, i saw squish them all! they will mess up the growth of your plants well after you get rid of them!

spongey600 said:
most of your pictures to me look like aphids, i saw squish them all! they will mess up the growth of your plants well after you get rid of them!
+1 Soap & Water.

Neam oil does good work and is organic---derivitive of Chrysanthemun oil....We sell 500 lady bugs at Ace hardware for $9.99...i just a boatload of stinkbugs show up on my peppers.

ed
staugiehotpeppers.com

Thanks all, crushed all the aphids I could find and I'm going to check in a few minutes to see if any have returned.

StAugieHotPeppers said:
Neam oil does good work and is organic---derivitive of Chrysanthemun oil....We sell 500 lady bugs at Ace hardware for $9.99...i just a boatload of stinkbugs show up on my peppers.

ed
staugiehotpeppers.com

Just found spray bottles on Amazon. There's also a cake version that I could theoretically break up and mix with soil but is that advisable after I've already potted them? (growing them wholly from containers)

I can't make it out properly but the "off white egg" could be an aphid mummy, and if so, is a very good thing. It would mean you have parasitic wasps getting around helping you in the battle. Parasitic wasps inject their eggs into the aphid, egg hatches, larvae eats the aphid inside-out.... :dance:

Hard to tell from the photo though.

+1 to what gasificada said. I just watched a video recently of just exactly that and it does look ( The pic is blurry ) just like the mummified Aphids I saw in the video.

Back