Help! Something's eating all my plants

I've tried insecticide (d-Phenothrin) and it's no good...

I've been out day and night to see what's eating and couldn't see anything

Here are links to photos:

photo1

photo2

photo3

You got caterpillars, bro.

You many need to go out with a light after dark. Get them before they start growing. Or they may defoliate you.

Stop with the poison, and get yourself some BT. (Bacillus thuringiensis)

i had hornworm eggs all over my plants too..only found one tiny worm.  gotta inspect your plants daily and use the product (bt) that these dudes/dudettes recommend. waiting for the next round of pepper munching invaders..this time i will be ready! :hell:

Hi

Thanks all for your suggestion. I have a sachet of this stuff and will be applying it after sundown.

Cheers!

Marcus

Ouch! I had a few seedlings hit by a caterpillar and some flea beetles the other night. I used neem and castille soap and that was the end of it, whether it was that or it just moved on I don't know but no other seedlings were effected. Its butterfly time here, there are thousands of them and thousands of caterpillars too, they were ravaging the passion fruit shrubs and the neem and castille seemed to get rid of them in a couple of days. But I would go for what the guy's here are using as they have the pepper experience. I am just using what I have to hand and that is as organic or natural as possible.

marcusj said:
Update: while trying to identify another plant (on my current profile picture), I spotted some tiny yellow things on the leaves my macro photo.
Aphids

Spray them off with a jet of water, or spray them with dawn + water. I never measure out an exact amount, just give a good squirt into my bottle then fill with water. I guess its about 1 or 2 tbsp per 32oz that I use.

When I get aphids (the black ones with the wings) on my tomatoes, I pinch off a few of the bottom-most leaves, chop them up really fine and add them to water in a covered jar. Shake the jar well, let it steep over night, strain into a sprayer and then spray the plants well. There is a chemical or enzyme, don't remember which, that is completely toxic to the aphids and kills them within a day or two after a couple of sprayings. No harm to the plants.

I bought pepper plants and naturally, the green aphids from whichever greenhouse they were grown in, came with the plants as an added bonus. I did use this spray on them and the green aphids have been history for about 3 weeks now. Tonight I found a few ladybug larvae on the pepper plants. A gardener's warrior bug! Hope they restore balance to the force!

If they are really bad. i will sometimes add dish soap to the mix for the napalm effect.

Can the damage in those photos have been from grasshopper nymphs? Reason I ask is because I had similar damage to (not all) my peppers, specifically to two beds that are next to each other. Earlier in the season, I noticed a significant hatch of grasshoppers, my fault for not turning over my beds earlier to try to kills some of the eggs.

Regarding the caterpillars - do they emerge from the ground or are eggs laid directly onto the plants? I've never checked my peppers for them before, time to start.

Thanks.

ako1974 said:
Can the damage in those photos have been from grasshopper nymphs? Reason I ask is because I had similar damage to (not all) my peppers, specifically to two beds that are next to each other. Earlier in the season, I noticed a significant hatch of grasshoppers, my fault for not turning over my beds earlier to try to kills some of the eggs.

Regarding the caterpillars - do they emerge from the ground or are eggs laid directly onto the plants? I've never checked my peppers for them before, time to start.

Thanks.
Caterpillars come from moths laid on top, but usually on the undersides. Hard to miss, if your looking.
I havnt seen any on my plants this week , but a couple weeks ago i plucked at least 100 eggs within about a week span.

Back