• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Help! Spider Mites?

I just picked up some peppers from Cross Country Nurseries on Friday. I put them in my grow area with the plants I started from seed. Today I noticed what I'm thinking is spider mites on several of the plants I just purchased: fish peppers, bhut jolokia, 7 pot, chocolate bhut jolokia, and caribbean reds. :( I haven't seen this any on any of the plants I've been growing. I'm wondering how I missed this when I was purchasing the plants on Friday. I took all the plants I purchased and put them outside on the porch. Are these spider mites? How do I get rid of them? Do I need to worry about all my plants they were in close quarters with for 2 days? :eek:

IMG_20110424_191216-2.jpg

IMG_20110424_191157-1.jpg

IMG_20110424_191058.jpg

IMG_20110424_191042.jpg

I appreciate any help/suggestions! thanks!

id say aphids as well. Not glad to hear this..i just ordered plants from them today. Guess i will look at them very closely

spray just the infested plants or all?
those are peach aphids. kill them it they aren't much ssquash them or give them some rubbing alcohol.! if too many the get some sprays on them and the soil.
they tend to drop off to the soil when they are in danger.

I will go with aphids also...

If they were spider mites, you may not be able to see them with the naked eye...or if you are stark naked either...but thats another story...

best way to tell if you have spider mites is by the tiny webbing they make (thus the name spider) and take a piece of white typing paper or any other white paper, put it under a branch then brush the branch with your hand knocking stuff off the branch onto the paper...if you see tiny red dots moving...that is probably spider mites...use a magnifying glass or jewelers loop to really identify them...

id say aphids as well. Not glad to hear this..i just ordered plants from them today. Guess i will look at them very closely

I'd heard great things about them, I had intentions of placing an order, but we decided to just take a ride up there. The plants looked pretty healthy, didn't inspect them too closely(yes, I know I should have), now I'm regretting it. I'm contemplating emailing them and showing them what I found, but my guess is they're probably aware of the pest issue already. I'd inspect your plants closely! Hope your peppers arrive healthy and bug free!

as a plant seller, I hate to hear someone getting aphids off plants they bought...

being a grower, that's why I always start my own seeds...and when the plants are seedlings...no one, and I mean NO ONE goes in the area except my wife and my puppy dog...too much chance of someone transferring aphids unknowingly to my plants...I don't even go to a nursery or around any other plants when I have seedlings started...

Is there asomething I can do to protect my other seedlings? They don't seem to have been harmed but I can't see them very well. I'm afraid I will have a room full of aphid infested seedlings very soon :(

First I'd recommend calling CCN to alert them to the issue. They have a pretty good rep, and I'm sure they want to keep it.

Second, start a treatment routine now - spraying once is not sufficient, if you are going to use insecticides. You have two basic options - spray the plant or get ladybugs to eat the aphids. You can also do a combo, but you can't use certain things on them too soon before or after getting ladybugs, or the ladybugs will be affected. There are several threads on this site on this topic, so I recommend you look them up. If you get ladybugs, I don't recommend getting them from Hirts.

Edit: and yes, start spraying your other seedlings now, too. You don't know if they have eggs on them or not.

First I'd recommend calling CCN to alert them to the issue. They have a pretty good rep, and I'm sure they want to keep it.

Second, start a treatment routine now - spraying once is not sufficient, if you are going to use insecticides. You have two basic options - spray the plant or get ladybugs to eat the aphids. You can also do a combo, but you can't use certain things on them too soon before or after getting ladybugs, or the ladybugs will be affected. There are several threads on this site on this topic, so I recommend you look them up. If you get ladybugs, I don't recommend getting them from Hirts.

Edit: and yes, start spraying your other seedlings now, too. You don't know if they have eggs on them or not.

thanks! I've been looking through several threads trying to find the best options for my young plants. I'm afraid of killing my 100 or so plants by using something too harsh since they're so young. I'm currently living with my parents and the plants are located in a spare bedroom. My mom doesn't seem to be too keen on the the idea of purposely putting ladybugs inside the house.

Is there asomething I can do to protect my other seedlings? They don't seem to have been harmed but I can't see them very well. I'm afraid I will have a room full of aphid infested seedlings very soon :(
my suggestion get the arsenal out quickly to kill those aphids. and isolate the plants that are affected. they can multiple very quickly and also looks out for ants that are on the plants which have aphids as these ants spread the aphids to the other plants very fast.

don't wait too long. as these are damage your plants long term. they could get stunted. Are you verysure theat the aphids came from the nursery ? did you inspect them plants before purchasing them ? or you only noticed it after a few days ?

I have been using this with good success this year...knock on wood....

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202043615/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Are you verysure theat the aphids came from the nursery ? did you inspect them plants before purchasing them ? or you only noticed it after a few days ?

I've been carefully inspecting all of my plants since I started from seeds(including indersides of seeds), and have had zero signs of pests.

I didn't notice them until today. I had no signs of aphids on any plants before I brought these plants home. I guess there's always a chance there my have been eggs. While at the nursery, I don't think I inspected the plants closely enough, I don't remember looking at the unsersides of the plants. I was inspecting the plants more closely today and found them. The only plants visibly affected are varieties purchased from the nursery. None of my other plants have any visible aphids. I was planning on contacting the nursery to see if other plants seem to be have this issue/ alert them to my findings.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202043615/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053
thanks AJ for the tip :) i wonder if i can find this at my area.
its organic as well :)
these are the ingredients of that spray.
Rosemary 0.04 %
Sesame and Sesame Oil 0.04 %
Peppermint 0.03 %
Cinnamon & Cinnamon Oil 0.03 %
Thyme 0.03 %
Malic Acid 0.02 %
Water and Other Ingredients Balance
hmm wonder if i can make it myself if i cannot find it.! :)

Thanks AJ, I'll get some first thing in the morning. Can't find any place open right now.

I've been carefully inspecting all of my plants since I started from seeds(including indersides of seeds), and have had zero signs of pests.

I didn't notice them until today. I had no signs of aphids on any plants before I brought these plants home. I guess there's always a chance there my have been eggs. While at the nursery, I don't think I inspected the plants closely enough, I don't remember looking at the unsersides of the plants. I was inspecting the plants more closely today and found them. The only plants visibly affected are varieties purchased from the nursery. None of my other plants have any visible aphids. I was planning on contacting the nursery to see if other plants seem to be have this issue/ alert them to my findings.
maybe there were a few that you did not get to see. they multiple very fast.! any ants there yet ??

I would just get a damp paper towel and wipe them off gently. Inspect every leaf to make sure
you get them all. I had a few last year.

Back