• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Help to ID...

This plant was grown from what was supposed to have been Bhut Jolokia seeds. My biggest plant is every bit of 4ft tall from soil to tip of tallest branch. Here are a few pictures I took this morning, thanks for the help.

Pictures from the big plant....

pepper2.jpg

pepper3.jpg

pepper4.jpg

and now pictures of the small plant, came from the same pack of seeds.

IMG_0795.jpg

pepper794.jpg

pepper1.jpg

I ordered some seeds from Hirt's Gardens online and this is the email I sent them:

I ordered 10 Bhut Jolokia seeds and I grew them and they were red savina habanero seeds. I would like a replacement for the wrong seeds you sent me. I worked hard to get these to grow and it wasn't what I ordered.
My order# 002-7585524-5042607

The only reason it's been so long is because I have been waiting for them to produce and I finally had one ripen and it's a habanero instead of being a bhut jolokia like you showed on the website.
Please inform me by email on what to expect from this mistake.
Thank you,

And this was their reply:

thanks for placing your order with us
my supplier has admitted their mistake, i can either refund or send a fresh bact of the correct seed.
please let me know

So I just said ok send some more and they replied:

ok, ill reship today
thanks again and sorry for the mixup

Nice of them to do that but it was depressing when I found out it wasnt bhut's I was growing.

Charles

I've never grown Red Savina but I am growing Caribbean Red.... wait, I'll run outside and look.....yep your pods look a lot like mine, especially the little tip/tail on the end of the pod. Colour is the same as well.

The pod changed from that yellowish green colour to an orangish flare then brightened to a red, I was a little concerned with the orange, thinking maybe the plant was mislabeled(purchased from Home Depot) but with a little patience the pods have changed. Going to chow down one a pod any day now.

...since the Surfman provided a picture I feel I at least have to match his postmanship.

..............and NO, they don't need nitrogen, the yellowing of the leaves is from the flash on my old HP camera!

HPIM1856.jpg

same plant, different angle.

HPIM1857.jpg

My Carribs look just like yours BC. I also have a plant that came from seed exchange that were labelled Red Savina, but they look identical to the carribs.

http://www.tradewindsfruitstore.com/

is where I bought the seeds from... Oh well, I'll just have to grow the bhut jolokias next year :P

http://www.tradewindsfruitstore.com/

is where I bought the seeds from... Oh well, I'll just have to grow the bhut jolokias next year :P

That's too bad, nice looking plant though. I ordered 5 types of seed from them for this season. Three were big disappointments, seemed to be the plant it was supposed to be, but they were very weak and most had poor germination. It shouldn't be too hard to find Bhut seeds now.

Oh I have already gotten seeds of all sorts of mmm mmm goodness from thehippyseedco :P. Really looking forward to next years growing mayhem as I will be moved into a new house with lots of room for a garden... I can't wait!

All of my Caribbean Red's form all sorts of pod shapes, all on the same plant. You name it (exceptions being heavily wrinkled, long and skinny):

smooth and tapered,
dented or dimpled,
wrinkled at top,
smooth at top,
round,
oval,
flat.

All of these different shapes on the same plant. You cannot take the pod shape as the only identifier as the Caribbean Red has a very unstable pod shape that changes throughout the season.

Many claim to be growing Red Savinas and actually have Caribbean Reds or something else, the reason for this isn't well known but here is the short story. All of this information can be found throughout the internet.

Real Red Savinas were a mutant of an Orange Habanero found growing in a commercial Orange Habanero field (Reference). From what I have seen and heard, the plant looks identical to an Orange Habanero plant with the exception of the pods being red when ripe, more dented and wrinkled and abnormally hot (duh). Orange Habaneros have longer ovate leaves with dark green immature pods (thus so do Red Savinas) like this...
caps_81.jpg

while Caribbean Reds have shorter heart shaped or roundish leaves with light green immature pods that are mostly smooth (no bumps and very few if any dents) and are not heavily wrinkled, also they may have some minor wrinkling at the top near the stem and the pod shapes can vary allot on the same plant either at the same time or different times of the year. They also have very short stems, which tends to leave some pods erect to horizontal instead of pendant.

Just because you purchased seeds online or from a buddy that claims to be "Red Savina" doesn't mean you are growing real Red Savinas, which are protected and ILLEGAL to sell or commercially grow without a proper license. That is why it is so damn hard to find REAL Red Savina seeds, also dried Red Savinas have inviable seeds due to the drying process they use. Since there exists a Red Habanero that is around the same shape and size that is also much hotter than a normal Orange Habanero (the Caribbean Red), people have knowingly and unknowingly sold Caribbean Red seeds as "Red Savina" seeds because most people won't know the difference. In fact, RedSavina.com sells Caribbean Red seeds that they label as "Red Habanero" (since they cannot sell real seeds due to the plant protection) which is confusing to most people that don't know this.

If the Red Savina and Caribbean Red habanero were really so close that their differences were "infinitesimal" then they are NOT different and are one in the same! And since Caribbean Red habaneros were developed by Seminis Vegetable (Reference) for commercial use in Antigua and Barbados (don't believe me, look it up) if they were the same plant, than the guy who claimed he developed the Red Savina is actually growing a variety produced years before the Red Savina was even a twinkle in his eye.

The bottom line is, the Caribbean Red is a very unique plant, it has a great set of traits that make it a very good variety. You would be VERY hard pressed to find another different variety that had the same traits as a Caribbean Red.

Heart Shaped to Roundish Leaves - Not so common, long ovate more common
Light Green Immature pods - Recessive trait, tends to be lost in crosses with medium to dark green Immature pods
Short Compact Growth with Short Flower stems - Less common that long stem and leggy growth
Short to Medium length round pods with thick walls - A somewhat unique shape and tends to be much thicker than other C. Chinenses
Above Average Heat - Hotter than most Habaneros
Unique Flavor and Aroma - I only know of ONE other C. Chinense that has this aroma and flavor, that is the Chocolate Congo. From crosses I have done with other types, the flavor tends to be recessive and is drowned out or replaced by other C. Chinense flavors (known exception being the Orange Habanero).
Very prolific (high yeilds) - This plant pods up very well, I have had plants every year with > 100 pods at one point.

I have not seen a single plant in person or on the internet that did or was said to have all these qualities on the same plant. I challenge anyone to name another variety that does.

I actually find the pod shape on my Caribbean reds to be quite consistant, and I find them as hot or hotter than red savinas and probably better tasting too.

Caribbean red

Aug 10 004 by potawie, on Flickr

I actually find the pod shape on my Caribbean reds to be quite consistant, and I find them as hot or hotter than red savinas and probably better tasting too.

Caribbean red

Aug 10 004 by potawie, on Flickr

Maybe it's just me, but looking at that plant I see round pods, long pods, dented pods, typical C R looking pods (teardrop). When I talk about variation I mean subtle variation, not extreme variation.

Back