• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

health Help! - White fuzzy spots growing on stems

Flamecycle

Extreme Member
I don't even know what to search for to find out what this is.

I'm growing in Phoenix AZ, so day temps are in 90's right now, lows in the 60s -70's. Low humidity, lots of sun. Growing in organic potting soil, watering about every 5 days , feeding Botanicare.

Can anybody help me out?

HxP5dDg.jpg

Qim8G5O.jpg

What is it? Do I need to get rid of it? How?

Thank you!

Looks like mealybugs or some sort of egg mass. Either way, get rid of it! Do you have any ants around? They might be culturing whatever it is. Insecticidal soap, or wipe with 70% isopropanol followed by wiping with water.

I agree, looks like mealy bugs from the pics. "Small pests covered with white, cottony fluff. Large clusters can occur on the stems and under the leaves... a serious attack leads to wilting and leaf fall."

Wipe them off with damp cotton wool or for severe attacks spray with thiacloprid.
:flamethrower:

Thanks for all the help guys. They look a lot like some of the pictures of mealybugs I can find, but I certainly cannot see any insect body etc, just the white fuzz. And they definitely didn't appear to move around at all.

I went ahead and wiped all the ones I could find off with a paper towel soaked in alcohol then sprayed off with water. Hopefully they dont return...

Back