• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Help! Whiteflies attacking my seedlings.

Hi all. Need some advice on getting rid of some whiteflies that have started attacking my seedlings. I think they're coming from my wife's eggplant, which had a large population on it, but has been reduced thanks to some ladybug and lacewing nymphs attacking the fly nymphs and eggs. I'd rather not use pesticide, so would an option be to isolate my seedlings from my current plants and kill any whiteflies that are on them? Would this work? This is my 1st time growing from seed, and so far I haven't screwed anything up yet, and have had everything I've planted germinate besides some Tepin's that are being stubborn. Hoping to OW these plants to get a head start next year. Any help is greatly appreciated.

What I do to keep several bugs away (aphids, slugs whiteflies and other bugs) is to make an extraction of garlic and spray it on the plants.
Just take about 20 cloves of garlic, cut them up in fine parts, without peeling and put them in a plastic container,
then I boil some water (i take abt 1/4 gallon water) and poor it over the cut up garlic and leave it stand overnight.
In the morning u will see the water will have a milky shine in it and will very much smell like garlic.
Just filter out the cut up garlic so u just have the liquid and just spray it on the plants. Most of the bugs dont like the smell of garlic
and will stay away. For me it works just fine no bugs to see in miles :)

Hope this works for u too!

Greetz,

Oli

DevilsEyes said:
What I do to keep several bugs away (aphids, slugs whiteflies and other bugs) is to make an extraction of garlic and spray it on the plants.
Just take about 20 cloves of garlic, cut them up in fine parts, without peeling and put them in a plastic container,
then I boil some water (i take abt 1/4 gallon water) and poor it over the cut up garlic and leave it stand overnight.
In the morning u will see the water will have a milky shine in it and will very much smell like garlic.
Just filter out the cut up garlic so u just have the liquid and just spray it on the plants. Most of the bugs dont like the smell of garlic

Greetz,

Oli
Thanks for the info. Will have to give this a try. Appreciate your help.  :)

MeatHead1313 said:
Thanks for the info. Will have to give this a try. Appreciate your help.  :)

No problem at all :)

SweatSauwce said:
My plants are also a victim also to white flies, how often do you spray them with the garlic water? thanks

Depends on the weather a bit, when it rains I spray again and else just give it a go every week or so.
When the fuggers dont go away from the 1st time just repeat, topside of leaves and bottomside of leaves till u are happy.

DevilsEyes said:

Greetz,

Oli
I've also done this with tomato leaves like a tea, I read somewhere that it's because of the high alkalinity of some plants, garlic is one of them.  I add a very very small amount of organic dish soap to the mix to help it stick.

ikeepfish said:
I've also done this with tomato leaves like a tea, I read somewhere that it's because of the high alkalinity of some plants, garlic is one of them.  I add a very very small amount of organic dish soap to the mix to help it stick.

Never have tried it with dish soap, but allready read that lots of people do this. I really wonder if the soap isent harmfull to the
pepperplants as they tend to absorb it into their leaves (same principle as foliar feeding).
To the moment I didnt dare to do it, can u give us some more info as I'm sure MeatHead and SweetSauwce
would like to know more about this too.

Greetz,

Oli

ikeepfish said:
Appreciate the info! 

DevilsEyes said:

Never have tried it with dish soap, but allready read that lots of people do this. I really wonder if the soap isent harmfull to the
pepperplants as they tend to absorb it into their leaves (same principle as foliar feeding).
To the moment I didnt dare to do it, can u give us some more info as I'm sure MeatHead and SweetSauwce
would like to know more about this too.

Greetz,

Oli
I've never had it harm the plants, but I was concerned with it harming my fish when I used it in my aquaponics, so I didn't use the soap on those plants when I had an aphid problem there.  I use just a couple of drops in a 12oz bottle, just enough to get the top to slightly sud when you shake it, if it's too much suds you probably used too much soap.  For my fish system I caught wild ladybugs, problem was solved for a few weeks, by the time the aphids were back I had nice little black and red larvae to finish them off.  I haven't had any aphids since.  There are probably people who know more about harming the plants on a chemical level, but I use it and have never had a problem with it.  Someone told me that it also helps give the aphids fatal diarrhea but I'm not sure if that's true.

I'm gonna have to do this in the next day or two as I just discovered aphids on my biggest plants. I'll have to carpet bomb them with the soap mixture

I started seeing these a few weeks ago when I would bump or move a potted plant. I didnt know what they were at the time till I investigated this post because of the description. suddenly they were gone except a few and I mean just a few stragglers. never impacted the plants.

Unfortunately, the whiteflies that infested the plants I had outside my apartment weren't fully eliminated, even by several applications of dish soap spray. A neighbor asked if he could take the infested plants and try a few other remedies, and I was only too happy to say Yes. A couple of them grew faster than I anticipated, making them problematic for my move, so the neighbor asking alleviated a potential headache.

Think I may have to add the dish soap as well. Tried DevilsEyes approach, and it definitely lowered the amount on the seedlings, but still have some hanging around. I'm pretty sure this is from my wife's eggplant, which is getting overrun again. Might have to isolate the eggplant as well until I get that problem sorted. Think I may have to buy ladybugs for that one.

Back