• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Help with an Unknown Annuum

My parents sent me some seeds for this unknown chile that they have been growing in their garden for years. It's the only kind of chile they grow.  Originally they called it a Goat Horn pepper (translated from Vietnamese), but I later found out that they actually don't know what it is and just called it a Goat Horn b/c it was easier. I am not sure where they got it from.  Any ideas what it could be?

msg102049208295.jpg

I grew it in my garden this year and assume it is an annuum variety.  The plants grew very tall, I think the tallest one was about 4 feet high. Flowers were white and solitary, pods grew downwards.  Below is an image of the color progression.  They all started out a pale yellowish green.  The majority of the pods were similar in size and shape to the one in the photo above, some slightly thinner and others shorter.  Sometimes the pods were curved like a horn pepper.  Here's an image of the color progression.

colorprogression.png

I'll post photos of the inside when I get home tonight, but basically its fairly fleshy. Walls are about a millimeter thick. Tons of placenta from top to bottom.  Seedy. And you can see some pockets of oil on the placenta.

In terms of flavor, depending on the pod there is some sweetness and sometimes tanginess with an undertone of bitterness(?), but then again I probably don't have as refined a palette as the pros (still learning though!).  The heat hits very fast, almost instantly actually, but doesn't linger too long.  It's quite nice.  Definitely hotter than any of my Jalapenos.

I hate not knowing what I am growing, so hopefully someone might be able to shed some light on this.

--edit: here are some more photos--

2013-12-19%2018.05.32.jpg

2013-12-19%2018.11.06.jpg

DesertPod said:
Sort of Chile de Arbol or one of the many varieties of Cayenna
yeah he's right

there are countless types that look like that and without consistent knowledge of it origin and a solid name it may be near impossible to id it 

thanks your friend Joe

Thanks for the ideas! It is quite thick, but also long.  I have several that are just shy of 4 inches. For that reason I don't think it is a Japones; I may have grown those awhile back and they are significantly smaller and not as hot.  Chile de Arbol are quiet a bit skinnier if I am correct. So I think at the moment I will go with Cayenne as the best fit.  Of course I am welcome to other ideas!

Looks like an Indonesian one to me. Possibly hybrid. 

The peps sold as "Lombok" here fit your description completely.  Def. Annuums. 

But of course, they could be anything... 

pepertjes.jpg

peperpz5.jpg

verse%20lombok.jpg

filmost said:
Thanks for the ideas! It is quite thick, but also long.  I have several that are just shy of 4 inches. For that reason I don't think it is a Japones; I may have grown those awhile back and they are significantly smaller and not as hot.  Chile de Arbol are quiet a bit skinnier if I am correct. So I think at the moment I will go with Cayenne as the best fit.  Of course I am welcome to other ideas!
I just noticed it's too thick to be a Japone or cayenne. I overlooked the image with it cut in half for some reason. I don't know what it is, heh.

Looks like an Indonesian one to me. Possibly hybrid. 

The peps sold as "Lombok" here fit your description completely.  Def. Annuums. 

But of course, they could be anything... 

pepertjes.jpg

peperpz5.jpg

verse%20lombok.jpg

We might have a winner here! Do you know if there is a max height that these typically grow to? MyFolia seems to suggest 1.5ft tall. My plants were upwards of 4ft...

Sorry, not sure. Would depend on container size, nutes,light, temps, and other growing conditions.

​This page says the lomboks grow 5 ft. tall, which I'm sure is in Indonesian weather conditions. 

http://www.smartgardener.com/plants/4523-peppers-lombok-chile-lombak/overview

I've never grown Lomboks myself as these are a dime a dozen here on any market. 
(Just like you find jalapenos everywhere in the South-West of the US, they are not special at all)

Dulac said:
I think it's a Japone. It's too wide to be a chile de arbol.
i think its too large to be Japones and i don't think its de arbol

there are quite a few Asian species in particulate that look alot like that so again could be impossible to say just what it is

thanks your friend Joe

Sluggy said:
Sorry, not sure. Would depend on container size, nutes,light, and other growing conditions.

I've never grown Lomboks myself as these are a dime a dozen here on any market. 
I'd be like jalapenos in the South-West of the US, You find them everywhere. 

Bet. I figured as much. Thanks for the help! I'm going to call it good and just label this Lombok. 
ajijoe said:
i think its too large to be Japones and i don't think its de arbol

there are quite a few Asian species in particulate that look alot like that so again could be impossible to say just what it is

thanks your friend Joe

Yeah I figure not knowing the origin would make it impossible to be 100% sure. Going with Sluggy's suggestion and just going to label it Lombok.

Back