• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Help with ID of critters!

I have started growing my hot peppers this winter and they have been doing very well up until recent. I have been growing them indoors the entire time and had them when they were little inside a green house with lights. These bugs have taken over and I can't get rid of them! I have sprayed them with soap and water, rinsed off the plants in the shower, and even bought some plant soap. Nothing seems to keep them away. I get rid of them for a few days then they are back. My leaves are starting to wrinkle on the edges and they have infected all 40 or so of my plants. Here are some pics.
http://imageshack.us/a/img853/1680/photomar02145123.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img252/8029/photomar02145102.jpg

Applying Neem oil and insecticidal soap is likely to be your safest and best method to control and supress the aphids.

It will likely take several applications to eliminate the ones you see now and the next generations to come that are already in the works.

Applying Neem oil and insecticidal soap is likely to be your safest and best method to control and supress the aphids.

It will likely take several applications to eliminate the ones you see now and the next generations to come that are already in the works.

Thanks for the help. Will definitely have to order some Neem Oil tonight. I haven't seen the oil here in Japan so looks like a visit to Amazon for me. They are the pest! By far the worse to get rid of. When I get my green house set up outside I am going to unleash some ladybugs on them if I still do not have them under control.

A garden center should have something that you could use. The times I've been to Japan were not spent looking for aphid controls. I'm certain you could find something on the local market instead of trying to ship internationally, especially liquid.

Aphids! I use a sprayer with water and a few squirts of mild, non scented dish soap. It seems to work well for me. Neem oil also works well. I think everyone on this forum hates them like the plague! I have heard that Azamax is the ultimate cure .. but is really pricey.

If your in a pinch mix up some dog tick and flea shampoo in a spray bottle, like a Table Spoon of shampoo in a quart spray bottle of water.

I usually squish as many as I can with my fingers, being careful not to damage the plant at the same time. Aphids are super easy to squish, as they don't move very fast and they are super soft. If I am too late and there are hoards and hoards of them, then I may seek help in the form of an insecticide (usually organic first). I have had a resistant strain of aphid in the past in which no insecticide(neem, pyrethrin, pyrethroids, malathion) killed except imidacloprid. Most of the time a simple pyrethrin spray wipes them out good.

That's a pretty bad infestation of them. If you keep with organic fixes you'll need to reapply it every few days for a while. Most organic insecticides will kill the ones it comes in direct contact with but they have no staying power. If you leave one alive they can reproduce at an alarming rate. Good luck.

That's a pretty bad infestation of them. If you keep with organic fixes you'll need to reapply it every few days for a while. Most organic insecticides will kill the ones it comes in direct contact with but they have no staying power. If you leave one alive they can reproduce at an alarming rate. Good luck.

I think I am going to try Azamax if the organic Garden Safe Insecticidal Soap does not do any good. I spray them buggers off and seem to be gone then 3 days later they are back again in force! I just want them gone, especially since most of my plants are starting to fruit now. My poor leaves are starting to have breakage from them ad feel like paper.

Back