• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Help with leaf issue ID?

Hello,

I just started growing hot peppers for the first time and have a healthy 94 seedlings so far so going well, but I have noticed that some leaves on some of my plants have some small discolorations on them and was hoping for help identifying the cause.

It's too cold still to bring them outside so they have all been grown inside, LED fuul spectrum, hum about 12 inches from the plants. For fertilizer I did a dose of Myco Blast (a probiotic-type) when they were transplanted from seed tray to little plastic cups, then a half-strength dose a week after that with Alaska fish fertilizer, however I want to note that some of the discolorations happened before fertilizing.

I've attached a few pictures to show. Overall I don't see any impact on health from it, they're all growing nicely and around the same pace. The most severely affected leaf still seems healthy, just a little crinkled.

Thanks for the help!

158cc38711eda7a92975bec799851be8fd897286.jpg
aaf4e0140931e3a2fa87d902e929821fdc8f31c8.jpg
b5ec09fbbf14a1049f5ca18432b398403d564a3e.jpg

Meimisk said:
I have noticed that some leaves on some of my plants have some small discolorations on them and was hoping for help identifying the cause.

I've attached a few pictures to show. Overall I don't see any impact on health from it, they're all growing nicely and around the same pace. The most severely affected leaf still seems healthy, just a little crinkled.

I agree.......... Healthy but a little crinkled.............. 

+1.  If anything, the LED could be a touch low, but I'm not sure of this and, if so, we're talking fairly minor stuff.  What I notice, again fairly minor, are some instances of incomplete leaf formation evident in the margins and some chlorotic discoloration in spot areas and overall hue of certain upper leaves.  What specific light are you running at 12" distance?

If you're new and doing this well, you're off to a great start!

I'm using Barrina white LED grow lights, 10W each and 2ft long. I have them in levels with two rows of light each spaced about 6-8 inches apart.

Oh! I just noticed this, the only seedlings that are showing these signs are al the same, the chocolate Bhutlahs. Maybe I'm doing something they dont like?

With some higher intensity LED's, 12" would be an issue.  I  think yours are fine, but if you see the leaves start to turn up at the sides in a cupping/canoeing fashion or signs of any burned spots/dried brownish/white patches I'd back them off some.   I can see neighboring leaves at the top and bottom of the first two images that look picture-perfect and I'm not sure there's any reason to adjust what you're doing.

Sometimes a given type will do funky things because of how the seed was treated or for other reasons.  I'd keep an eye on the the Chocolate Bhutlahs, just to be on the safe side.  If you see any increasing failure of the newer leaf sets to thrive, such as the leaves looking unhealthy and getting progressively smaller, or if you see those minor chlorotic spots start to increase and spread together into a pattern, post pic's again.  I really doubt there's an issue, though.  Plants are just living things and do the occasional odd thing.

Good to have you posting on the forum and I hope you'll post more about your plants as they grow and produce.

Meimisk said:
Oh! I just noticed this, the only seedlings that are showing these signs are al the same, the chocolate Bhutlahs. Maybe I'm doing something they dont like?
Interesting observation, my chocolate bhutlahs have the same deformity. I wonder if it's specific to that variety. Did you happen to get your seeds from Pepper Joe?
Here's a picture of my chocolate bhutlah seedlings as well as a C. Reaper plant that has deformity as well. Maybe has to do with poor seed quality?

QITmGRb.jpg

F0J8Kqq.jpg

I have the same symptoms

Pepper - TS Moruga Red
Substrat - compost + coco
Light - Fluorescent Lamp 120w
Water - 6.5 pH
Treatment - Spray one time Bacillus Subtilis, Spray one time VALAGRO: Kendal, Megafol, MC Start

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 92
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 93
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 90
I will assume that this is due to the pH of the substrate. 

Correct me please if I'm wrong

evolka said:
I have the same symptoms

Pepper - TS Moruga Red
Substrat - compost + coco
Light - Fluorescent Lamp 120w
Water - 6.5 pH
Treatment - Spray one time Bacillus Subtilis, Spray one time VALAGRO: Kendal, Megafol, MC Start

Unless you're growing these for show, I think this is all much ado about nothing.  Minor variations in leaves are often timestamps on past issues.  Sometimes, they're just random.
The point is, if you're studying your plants so closely, that you even notice this issue, you're trying way too hard, and are in danger of crossing into "loving your plants to death" territory.  There's nothing wrong with those plants, as is.
New strategy: chill out, watch these plants grow for awhile.  See what happens.  If an actual problem arises, figure out an effective strategy to address it.  In the meantime, it's probably best not to overthink, or else you'll end up "fiddling".

Back