• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

help with manzano pepper

i am growing yellow manzano (tree type) peppers in a greenhouse.
they are loaded with flowers but not much fruit (flowers end up dropping off) any suggestions on how to get more fruit?

They tend to drop a lot in the beginning. It happens to me, too. I have 4 of them and that happens. One is 2 1/2 years old. I got up to 50 fruits throughout last year all the way to December from that one. I brought stuffed manzanos to a Christmas party! How tall are they? They don't require a lot of sun. Morning sun then shady in the afternoon works best for me. Be patient.

My first year rocoto reds are much happier now I've moved them to a spot with morning sun and afternoon shade. Flowers were dropping as almost-open buds and I now have some open flowers (don't rocoto flowers look cool! :))

I still hand pollinate mine. I have plenty of pods already this year. From Redwood City Growing Tips: "Pollen is produced on the stamens, and usually ripens between noon and 3 PM every day.

To hand pollinate, take a moistened water-color paint brush, and pick up some pollen on your brush and transfer it to the other flower centers. You can get close to 100% fruit set with hand pollination."

bigt said:
I still hand pollinate mine. I have plenty of pods already this year. From Redwood City Growing Tips: "Pollen is produced on the stamens, and usually ripens between noon and 3 PM every day.

To hand pollinate, take a moistened water-color paint brush, and pick up some pollen on your brush and transfer it to the other flower centers. You can get close to 100% fruit set with hand pollination."

Thats cool, I've been sacrificing a flower to polinate mine. I have an orange manzano with alot of flowers and some pods. my yellow hasn't flowered yet though? Seeds were sown at the same time too....

How hot does it get in your greenhouse? My experience with Rocotos is that they will not set pods at high temperatures.

dead_thread.jpg

POTAWIE said:
Willard has always been here to help people and I would seriously take any advice he gives

I think Willard is right! People ask the same questions all the time. Why should he be dogged for giving the same answer? The guy has been growing alot longer then many of us. Ask him a serious question and you'll get the right answer.

!

joeknowsjolokia said:
I think Willard is right! People ask the same questions all the time. Why should he be dogged for giving the same answer? The guy has been growing alot longer then many of us. Ask him a serious question and you'll get the right answer.

Sorry if it seems like I'm dogging Willard. Wasn't my intention at all! I know he knows a ton about chiles because I've read it here on these forums. It just seemed that lately he's only had one of two things to say whenever he posts.

Back