• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pics Help with my bhut plants? (pics)

My two young bhut plants are about a foot tall i have them in 5 gallon buckets with holes in the bottom to drain excess water, they are in a grow tent under 250w MH kept at about 90 degrees. They have about 12-14 true leaves however they are turning a bit yellow one of my plants has a yellow tint throughout the entire plant with the bottom leaves tips drying up turning slightly brown and have broken off. The other plant looks similar but this one has dark green leaves at the top and now has tons of new growth sprouting from every joint all are a good green color. I believe it may be over watering but I'm unsure my digital moisture thing is saying 9.9 on the left but then 7 on the right 5.7 in the back i just don't get it so i don't think i trust the meter. I haven't watered my plant in weeks and those numbers just are not coming down the top of the soil is dry as a dig down it is moist but i don't think its to wet but what do i know. i am just wondering do you also think it's over watering? is it something else? what actions should i take? I've searched the web for information on over watering but why do i have new growth on the one plant please help can i wait this out until the moisture is 2-3 do they need replanted?

Thank you in advance,
Chile Face

Here are some pics sorry about the stripes my grow light does that to my camera for some reason.
1353202191307.jpg

1353202190312.jpg

1353202189420.jpg

1353202188516.jpg

1353202187593.jpg

1353202186547.jpg

ive personally never over watered a plant, i suspect you need really poor soil to do it. that or just get nutty watering like every hour.
i wouldnt trust your digital soil probe thing, they are pretty much a joke. they are just measuring conductivity, wet soil will generally conduct more electricity because of dissolved minerals, but its nothing near accurate.
your best bet with those things is to establish a baseline right after you water then observe how the conductivity changes as the plant drys out and starts to wilt. but still i wouldn't use it, its likely to waste your time and mislead you. just pick them up and feel them out. observe how light they are when they are just beginning to wilt.

what soil are you using? how, and what are you fertilizing with. pics help too.
Sounds like it could just be nitrogen deficient, but its hard to say without pictures.

I agree that it could be an issue with needing fertilizer or possibly something else. If they are dry along the top of the soil it could just as easily be under watering as over watering. The best way to keep water even with pepper plants is to put a good layer of mulch on top of the soil. I use my finger to see if the soil is still a touch damp, and my plants have always done well with this method. Another possibility is bugs along the roots of the plants or on the underside of the leaves, but it is tough to be sure without pictures and being able to visually check things out.

Your pics went up just as I posted. Based on the pics I think a layer of mulch to keep the water even should do the trick, because the plants seem pretty healthy.

lol those look like good plants to me. leaves yellow on the bot like that when they are looking for nitrogen OR are old or heavily shaded for a long ass time. i wouldn't read to much into the margins drying out and cracking on a leaf thats on its way out like that. try adding a touch more nitrogen if you want. you mention uniform yellowing of the whole plant tho? i don't see it, could be the pics are washed out from the MH light.

your pics do that because of your magnetic ballast. they run the lights at like 60hz at a high voltage. the tube will dim then get brigt then dim then get bright at 60hz. your cameras ccd probably scans from top to bottom of the sensor so its capturing bright and dark pixels as the sensor is recording the image. i think if you make the photo faster... idk what its called im no photographer it will diminish... make the photo slower it will show more lines.

same thing happens when you photograph anything moving very fast like a prop in an airplane. photo gets all screwy.

Overwatering is singularly THE most common reason for leaves to turn yellow. Continued overwatering will cause brown spots to occur, starting around the edges of the leaves, and leaf drop. Peppers prefer to be fairly dry, but not bone-dry. Most of us who have been growing peppers for a while look for two things if the plants are in pots: 1) Let the leaves droop a tad before watering again. Keep in mind that even though the surface or spots inside the pot may be dry, it may be quite wet beneath or in other areas. Allowing the leaves to slightly droop is the way the plants tell you it's time to water again. 2) Routinely pick up the pot to get an idea of how much it weighs. Pick it up right after you water it, to guage how much it weighs at that point. Pick it up again after the leaves have started drooping. THAT is about how much you want it to weigh before you water it again.

If you back off overwatering, the leaves that have yellowed a tad will not return to green, but the new growth will come in green.

Back