• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Help With my Germinating Setup!

Hey Guys.

Well im germinating seeds this year, and i'm having great success using peat pellets but i recently bought a 24 tray and i'm in a bit of trouble!

The peat pellets were germinated in a styrofoam box, and once germinated they were moved under a fluro light...

I was losing track of which chilli is what so i started using a seedling tray. Problem is they are starting to germinate and i have no lights on them!, i can't take them out like the peat pellets.

The box goes to 30c when the lid is on, but if its off it drops down to room temperature (there is a heat mat in there)

Here are some photos.

3926906703_001195d388.jpg

3926906741_84ffa2fdb6.jpg

3927688254_03592b9d91.jpg

3926906849_fefc501dca.jpg

So i guess my question is... How can i add light to that box for the seeds that geminate, as well as keeping the heat up?

Thanks in advance!

Do you guys think that the heat mat will get hot enough for the tray outside of the box?

IF so, i can just put it on the shelf with the lights above it...

Thanks

?? It looks as though you have a light in there ?
Is that not sufficient ?

edit: sure if you enclose it a little with plastic or mylar, the box with both light above and heat mat below should be fine to keep up the heat and humidity.

Hey man.

Thanks for the response... Thats two different setups...

The box is one, then the chillis are moved onto a shelf with the fluro light above them.

Problem is, the fluro lights are to long for the box... so i can't get them low enough to light the seedlings in the box.

Would a single fluro bulb be sufficient for that whole tray? cause then i could just lean it into the box.

most just have 2 leaves... some are starting their second set.

Yep they'll go outside once their big enough.

can you bury the peat pots directly into the soil of the larger plants?

Can i plant them directly into soil from my compost?

Aszental said:
most just have 2 leaves... some are starting their second set.

Yep they'll go outside once their big enough.

can you bury the peat pots directly into the soil of the larger plants?

Can i plant them directly into soil from my compost?

I would replant them now ! yes just plant the WHOLE THING into a really good potting soil. As the net is biodegradable.

If you are going to take them outside / or plant into vegy patch soon I would start hardening them off. 1st with a small fan & if the weather is good, you should start taking them outside for a couple of hours a day - put them in the SHADE to start with. (for a week or two - increasing the time & sun outside each time)

You'll struggle to put any sort of a light in that styrofoam box....

This is what I have, and it acts as my germination and grow box.....

IMG_0963.jpg

And if I end up having more plants and can't fit them all in the box they go here untill they are big enough to go out side....

IMG_0903.jpg

Yep i had trouble with that box so i've started again.

Instead of filling the tray with soil, i've filled each tray up with a peat pellet.

Once they gemrminate, i'll move them to the strip lighting until they get a little larger.

Then once their big enough to repot, i'll have a similar setup to Moyboy in a cuboard...

Like here
3928523108_9e87692247.jpg

Moyboy, what wattage fluroecent bulb is that?

I want to buy somethign that large, can you get any with already made power leads or do you have to wire it yourself?

Just using terracota and tub premimum potting mix, do i repot them when they get the second set of leaves?

thanks guys

ye didn't think of that... i just put individual peat pelets into each slot...

I have another seedless peat pellet that i stick the thermostat into... have the soil at exactly 30c.

I'm going away for 2 days over the weekend, reckon they will be ok with no water?

The answer was so obvious but it took me ages to figure that out myself. Sometimes we're too busy looking for the hard way....
I guess you could try turning your heat mat off for the weekend and that'd lessen the chances of them drying out. Couldn't say if that would affect germination though but I'm guessing it's better than dry soil.

Aszental said:
Yep i had trouble with that box so i've started again.

Instead of filling the tray with soil, i've filled each tray up with a peat pellet.

Once they gemrminate, i'll move them to the strip lighting until they get a little larger.

Then once their big enough to repot, i'll have a similar setup to Moyboy in a cuboard...

Like here
3928523108_9e87692247.jpg

Moyboy, what wattage fluroecent bulb is that?

I want to buy somethign that large, can you get any with already made power leads or do you have to wire it yourself?

Just using terracota and tub premimum potting mix, do i repot them when they get the second set of leaves?

thanks guys

Ok, My fluro is a 6400K at 100W......Once the plants get to about there 2nd to 3rd set of true leaves I put them under a 2700K at 100W.

I use the same 3 inch pots to start with, and I don't repot untill I see the roots starting to come out the bottom of the pot. Then I move them to 6 - 8 inch pot and do the same thing, then they go to there final position.

One thing My brother and I have both found with terracota is it gets really hot in summer as it soaks up the heat and the chillis don't usually like that and it slows down there growing....That's not to say the plants I had in those pots didn't do well but they didn't do anywhere near as well as the plants I had in basic plastic pots.

Is it normal that the seeds will come up attached to the end of the leaf?

All of mine are like that, some fell off and are looking fine but on others the seed is still attached... Seems to be stopping the leaves from spreading?

I've had a few seeds pop up with hats on. Sometimes it requires a bit of a delicate surgery to remove them. It's nothing too serious really. Sometimes you can gently slide them off, other times I've used a small pair of fly tying scissors to make a small clip in the underside of the seed so that it loosens up a bit. Just be sure not to cut the leaves off when you do it ;).

I destroyed a Jonah trying to pull the seed cap off. Most come off easy though. On one difficult one I left it on and the cotyledons just twisted around so that they got the light they needed and eventually pushed the cap off themselves.

Back