• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Help With my Germinating Setup!

not trying to be negative at all here but there was some talk over the past year about the nets on the peat pots impeding root development and the recommendation was to gently remove the netting before transplanting...

anyone else remember this ?

I can't say first hand because I don't use peat pellets...

found the thread....just FYI...

http://www.thehotpepper.com/showthread.php?t=10441&highlight=peat+pot+netting

Ok well i got my 130 watt grolite for the larger plants... gonna move them from the 20 watt fluro after i repot em from the peat pellets.

Problem is it has a weird mount, have no idea where i could bolt this to as it has a really long tail.

3949413204_ae13e69817.jpg

What do you guys think?

Remove the tail and splice in extention wires as long as needed to a better location for that part of the unit.

Dont think its that simple... the tail is welded onto the main peace... the i just opened up that little box, and there is a wire bolted to the tail piece as well (you can see that little metal piece on the bottom sticking out a little)

AlabamaJack said:
... there was some talk over the past year about the nets on the peat pots impeding root development and the recommendation was to gently remove the netting before transplanting...

And the net doesn't break down in the soil. Not only that, once potted, the netless peat can cause watering problems for the seedlings; I'm guessing because consistancy is different than the soil and/or retains too much water compared to the soil at a very delicate time in the life of the plant.

I love using peat pellets for germination, but learned some hard lessons from all my transplant problems.

Now I remove the net, and as I place it into the cups I use a paper clip to break apart the peat somewhat for better air flow before adding the remainder of the soil.

It's very similar to mine. I have it in a wardrobe so I just bought a bit of light gauge chain from Bunnings and hung it from the rail. It had wingnuts already in the mounting holes.

that fixture looks like a recessed fixture...the flanges near the bulb are the mounting points...

watch the duct tape because when the metal heats up (no doubtedly it will), it may cause the adhesive on the duct tape to melt and not hold very good...

All going well, problem is that its drying everything out really quickly.

Seem to have to water it every hour or so... any way to stop em drying out?

Put the light further away from the plants......How close is the light away from them at the moment?

The top of the soil my look dry but as long as the soil is still moist near the roots the plants will be fine.

Back