• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

plant Help with plant identification- Burmese Hot peppers

Last year I spent a month traveling around Burma (Myanmar). I had an amazing time and well...it was a massive expirience. But this isnt the place for those stories.

Being a bit of a "chili head" I made a point of buying interesting looking dried chilis at all the markets I went to (and I love going to markets).

A year down the track, a few drials and errors and I now have a few magnificent bushes growing in my garden.

Here are pictures of three of the plants that are already nicely grown and fruiting. I have a few more types but i'll wait till they are a little more developed before I present them.

Although i'm a second year master student in Biology (animal behavior/marine biology) my pepper taxonomy is pretty weak;) So i'd appreciate any info on the species of these plants, if they are known from other places, considered rare etc...
I'll provide for each picture what ever info I can-

This one has fruit that are ripening as we speak (so to speak;)). Green to red. It took them a good 2 months to ripen, give or take a couple of weeks. I tried one the other night. :mouthonfire: I wasnt expecting such a kick from somehting that looks like a bell pepper....could it be related to the Habanero types?

my.php

my.php

Next is a long type. All are still green, they too are taking a very long time to rippen. Pretty hot but not explosive. I bought them as dried red pods.

my.php

my.php

Last is a cute little bushy plant. Fruit go from white to orange to red. At the moment they are white and not that hot. When I had the red version in burma it was pretty feisty.

my.php

my.php

Thanks ahead for any help that can be provided.

First one is definitely hab related. There may be a fair chance that cross pollination occurred on some or all of these. That is the chance that you run with growing from a harvested fruit.
Those are really cool, and all the better that they come with a good story! Be sure to save seeds from your favorites, you will likely never come by them again.

imaguitargod said:
Second pic is a Cayenne (at first I was going to say Ring-of-Fire, but they are too wide and short for that strand) and the last one may be a Tabasco plant.

I took another look at the white one, do tabasco start out white? I did not grow them the last 2 years and I can't say for sure. It does not seem like it!

Were they started under lights?

First, thanx alot for the info!
So, the first is a habanero type? that would make is a Capsicum Chinese right? is this family common in asia?

Regarding the growing conditions- The seeds were put in a cup with reverse osmosis water and some (this aint science;)) hydrogen peroxide (sterilizes the seeds from any fungus or other bad stuff and promotes the enzymes that start the germination process into action).
They were then sowed in either- jiffy pelet, cup with peat soil mix with coconut fibre, cup with peat/perlite/vermiculite. (lost track of which sprouted were).
The sprouting was done in a simple propagator with no lights on other than the window.
Once sprouted they were "reared" under a 400 watt HPS light I got from a friend (dont ask what he used it for...). Once the plants looked nice and strong (a couple of months) they were moved out side. In big 5 liter pots at first and then most were planted in the garden, some in large pots.
They got periodic fertalization with an organic mix I bought once, especialy for tomatoes...
After that I moved to Humus (just spread around the soil). I think I'll go buy some organic algae fertilizer this week.

As to the color of the white ones I saw the originals in Burma sold dry/fresh as both white and red. So its totaly natural (besides they were no were near flowering when they were under the light).
I looked on the web and tabasco indeed starts white. I also saw a relative plant called an Ankor Sunrise from Cambodia that looks similar. So mabye its from the same family. Although the leaves look much bigger than the tabasco...but that might have to do with the light and over time the new leaves will be smaller (some of the plants under the light gave MASSIVE leaves).

How long do Cayenne usualy take to ripen red? these are taking ages...(My only other chili before these was what we call in israel Sudani peppers. Its a form of African Bird chili. Its the most plentiful chili bush, or any other fruit for that matter, I have ever seen. Its 2-3 years old and I get every season 300-500 chilis- I shit you not.).- (oh and it has 3-4 seasons a year;)).

I will definatly keep and charish these precious plants and seeds. I doubt that more than a few people around the world would have them (Out side of burma that is;)).

Wow! 3 yrs old, nice! Habs are common in India and China, so I would assume that some form is common in Burma. What color did they ripen to? One in the picture looks a nasty blackish red! (by nasty, I mean that it has the look of a pepper that might just melt your face)
Cayenne are a late ripener, but one day you will see one ripe and 2 days later the whole bush will be. Patience! And do yourself a favor and dry and grind some fresh, toss out that store bought stuff in the spice drawer!

imaguitargod said:
Second pic is a Cayenne (at first I was going to say Ring-of-Fire, but they are too wide and short for that strand) and the last one may be a Tabasco plant.

Yep, the pods look just like my Tabscos. Didn't know they grow in Burma.

hab type

As to the hab type color starts light green then turns to dark green. Then over 2-3 days it turns a very dark almost black and then red.
I tried one the other day. i took a big bite, not expecting much out of what looks like a bell pepper (havent had any expirience with other hab types of nagas). probably the same amount as two bird peppers. at first it was the sweetest capsicum i ever had....not a trace of hot...just nice and sweet....and then....ARMAGEDON in my mouth:mouthonfire: for 10 mins or so i was spitting...sweating...dizzy....on fire...swolen glans....and then...all of a sudden calm...but a bit shook up;)
I now have much respect for this plant....

platypus said:
at first it was the sweetest capsicum i ever had....not a trace of hot...just nice and sweet....and then....ARMAGEDON in my mouth:mouthonfire: for 10 mins or so i was spitting...sweating...dizzy....on fire...swolen glans....and then...all of a sudden calm...but a bit shook up;)
I now have much respect for this plant....

Sounds like my mini hab experiance. It was magical. Whole pepper in mouth, chew, ok, chew, ok, then swallow quick alarm went off and I sat staring at the gound drooling. My buddy started eating cake mix powder. It was amazing. Oh, all this talk is making me want my nagas to turn red already!!!

Slinter said:
Sounds like my mini hab experiance. It was magical. Whole pepper in mouth, chew, ok, chew, ok, then swallow quick alarm went off and I sat staring at the gound drooling.

Well, perhaps for some strange values of "magical".

Back