Help with sourcing a 200L drum Vic, Aust.

Does anyone know where I can get a food grade open top 200L drum in the SE 'burbs Vic?

I've been searching and ringing for 3 days and no luck!

I want to get my UDS started before Xmas.

Cheers in advance, Steve.

(p.s. can a mod delete this post after a happy conclusion?)

Why you need food grade? They are hard to come by.

I would just go to a local heavy machinery shop and ask if you can have one of their old oil drums, nothing a good burn won't get rid of but no open top...

Sweet, doesn't have to be food grade.

I found the drum broker in Dandenong but I don't think they are there anymore. Or at least their phone # is obsolete.

It has only been a few months since I drove past last time and they were still there. Should be plenty in the yellow pages anyway. I buy paint in 200L drums but he's a tight prick and I'm sure he'd charge me if one got lost, I'll ask him where he gets them.

He buys them in Coburg, I'm sure you'll find something closer. He used to get them from Cahill Street but they went bust, so that explains the obsolete phone number.

what ever you get make sure the thing is almost perfect with no major (or even minor for that matter) dings in the seal around the top cause if it doesn't seal close to 100% then you will struggle to regulate the temps......I have learnt the hard way......instead of having to get aftermarket seals or spend time punching out the dents, take your time and get one in 'as new' condition, it's better in the long run!!!

Crikey. These things are everywhere but I just can't seem to find one. Then whaddya know... today I spot a drum at work that contains mineral oil. It's in good condition (small ding in the middle) and is almost empty (it will be very empty soon hehehehe) :whistle: and missing :shocked: :whistle:

very good.....:lol:

I did the same with my first drum, it was from work and a quater full of Alumina (part of what makes Aluminium), but by the end of the day it was empty.....It was truly a miracle......

As long as the seal area is in good shape it's all good.....

Happy conclusion. Thread can be deleted now :)

waaah FARKIN whooooooo!!! Look what I found at work today.:onfire:

And I got a job offer with better money and less work.:cool:

And Green lights all the way home from work tonight.

And I've got three kinds of meat to Q over the weekend.

Just used up a whole chunk of luck today...

PB210273.jpg

And now we need to see pics of the finished smoker and your seasoning smoke. Tradition is, on your seasoning smoke you coat the whole inside with lard, shortening or spray the whole inside with cooking spray and run it up to 300ºF for an hour. Then back the temp down to 225ºF and smoke a sausage fattie in it until the meat hits 165ºF. Then you "officially" have a UDS.
You'll get addicted to those fatties. I start going through withdrawal symptoms when I remove the last of mine from the freezer and start watching sale ads for sausage to go on sale. I just stocked up on more yesterday to smoke this weekend.

FINISHED!!!:onfire:
I did it over the weekend. Still have some small things to finish off.

Seasoned twice with olive oil rub downs and nectarine wood.

Have a brisket on now dry rubbed and marinated for 3 days.

Holds temps like a dream!!! It's not in the pic, but I have a remote thermometer in the brisket. Pics laters.

PB240280.jpg

PB240276.jpg

PB240277.jpg

Animal shortening seasons better, veggie gets sticky on the sides. Good going. That was fast! I was under the impression this too 189 days. :D

I wanted to season it with lard but I was too lazy to buy/render some:) Next rb down will def be yummy pig fat hehehe

189 days:shocked:

It took me 13 beers and two Jack Daniels coffees...:drunk: :lol:

Back