• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

herbs

Herbs can grow outside or inside, but are a great candidate for container gardening. And if you are growing tomatoes, well any basil grows wonderfully in the tomato pot or right next to it.. the two plants love each other..lol

while out today I bought the following: cilantro, sweet basil, oregano, vivian lettuce (romaine type), iceburg A lettuce, and green onion. Is there anything wrong with starting these indoors now? or should I wait to start these outside? My last avg. frost date is May 15th so I have 2.5 months till then. Any input from those who grow these would be great. thanks.

Hold off on the basil a bit. It really does not thrive unless it has heat and intense light. Lettuce will grow very quickly, but you can put it outside in a sheltered location about a month before your last frost. Just watch for hard freezes.

theres nothing wrong with starting herbs before plant out. you dont have to plant lettuce before plantout, its fine to plant them outside as seed (even for here, so you should be fine)
as for onions, I'll say its easier to buy onion sets than start from seed, I mean onions do grow fast yes!
but when its cheap enough to buy several onion bulbs at the stores, IMO why deal with onion seeds.
onion seeds will sprout within a couple days.

Pam said:
Hold off on the basil a bit. It really does not thrive unless it has heat and intense light. Lettuce will grow very quickly, but you can put it outside in a sheltered location about a month before your last frost. Just watch for hard freezes.

Pamela,

FWIW, we sowed lettuce a couple of months before the last frost, but it was under a canvas. And it does survive a hard freeze (

It seems to make it tough if it goes through a hard freeze uncovered, or at least the varieties that I like do.

I always keep my lettuce covered - spring, summer, fall or winter. That's how dad did it. The exception is the plants in my hydro bucket in the office window.

Mike

lostmind said:
Mike, what do you cover them with?

An old bed sheet! As a kid we used a cotton tobacco canvas but they are hard to find in the city, plus they are at lest 50 feet long. Plus, a sheet covers more than enough room for the amount we use, especially if I sow a couple feet once a month. When I reach the end, I can start over.

Mike

The bed sheet lets enough light through?

At what temps will lettuce germinate? We are out of snow and hard frost season here now... but will get quite a few more light frosts... Could I plant out some lettuce seed now and cover it?

lost,

Lettuce doesn't need a lot of light. My sheets are not new - they usually are the ones that have seen their fair share of washing machines and dryers.

We sowed seeds as soon as the ground thawed and dried out enough to work in. It usually took 2-3 weeks (depending on the weather) to germinate but frosts or freezes didn't seem to hurt it, unless maybe those seeds at a specific point of germination. Considering Frost Free is May 15, and the seeds were up by April 1 or so, I'm sure they saw their share of cold weather.

As I noted to Pam, I had a head of lettuce still growing in January this year, well after a couple of very heavy freezes and even a snowfall or two.

BTW, we grew Black Seeded Simpson, a loose leaf variety.

Mike

Interesting. I'm going to try and put out some lettuce seeds the next sunny day we have. Along with the onions and garlic...

A tip on sowing lettuce:

Find some really fine dirt and pound it until it is almost dust or run it through a sieve to get out large pieces. Dry it completely, even in a microwave. Depending on how much room you plan to sow, I would have 2 quarts to a gallon or more. Mix some lettuce seeds into the dirt and I mean mix. For 10-15 minutes or more. Then sow the dirt/seed mixture, going over the area several times and stay close to the ground if there is any type of breeze at all. If you do it right and get lucky (!) you should not have to worry about thinning the bed later.

Mike

I grew basil, chives, cilantro last year. I still have about 4 pounds of Homemade Basil Pesto left in the freezer!!! LOL

Ciao Potawie-

Florence Fennel grows in our Zone 5 Toronto garden and it naturalizes, self-seeds and comes back every year. If you grow it for bulbs, that's another matter and I'm going to try doing that in a whiskey barrel this season. They must be blanched, like leeks, to keep the white colour as they grow. If you want seeds for your sausages, just PM me. I have enough if tomorrow all of Rome, including the Pope, showed up for a barbeque. Where do you get your Mexican Oregano? I was thinking of phoning Richters to see if they had it as a plant. I don't intend on trying to grow it from seed.

lostmind said:
I've heard something similar for carrots too. I'll see if I can give it a shot this year.

Probably a good idea unless you want to grow carrot grass like I did first time I tried planting them.

Txclosetgrower said:
I used to mow vacant soldiers housing on Ft. Hood when I worked at this lawn care place, and a few of the yards had mint that had naturalized itself. I love the smell of freshly mowed mint :)

I love the smell of mint and bourbon,mint in a Mohito aint half bad either.Cilantro must be grown in spring and fall here,and it doesn't like full sun.I use it roots and all in my Thai Street Chicken.My chives last all year here but they can also be dehydrated easily,they are blooming now and the flowers are good in salads.We grow tarragon,my wife makes the best salad dressing
I've ever had from it.Its a classic,Green Goddess.I have a pretty unusual Basil,its called Indian Basil.I haven't quite figured out what to do with it yet,I usually throw a few crumpled leaves and some split Lemongrass(another) into a pot of Jasmin rice.(Yes I have Indian Basil seeds avail)Smells like curry.
There is a woman here who steeps various herbs in Vineger,She gets like $18 a bottle.Its organic but she is always at the farmers markets and street fairs here.She has perfected several different types.We are lucky to grow most year round here and hit them pretty hard.Its my first year for the stevia and I'm anxious to try it.

Back