• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Here comes the cold! Bring 'em in?

Sunday is supposed to have a low of 43, then back up to 50 on Wednesday... Should I start bringing them in and overwintering? It would be a shame, some are LOADED with pods.

You can leave them out until temps hit around 40. If you have an indoor light and are waiting for pods to ripen like I am. Use the light unless it is nice and sunny outside.

We getting in the low 70's at night, high 80's at night, please send some cooler weather my way, I would like 50-60's at night, and high 70's low 80's during the day.

Our temps will drop down in the upper 30's at night with highs in the low 50's during the day, so tommorrow I will dig some of my plants up, I really hate having to do that, as my plants are full of green pods that just need two more weeks I'm pretty sure that if I dig them up and put them in 5 gal. buckets that they will just wilt and the pods will get rubbery rather than going ahead and ripen. I guess I will make some green sauce!

It's all about frost. No frost = no need to do anything yet, unless you plan to grow, not just overwinter, them inside during winter.

There's a low of 34F predicted here for tomorrow night. My plants are staying put, at most I'll pick off any pods that are starting to ripen and bring one favorite into the garage. If it frosts on the remaining pods I'll pick the remaining full sized ones off the next day and make sauce.

It was 15 here last night. That is Fahrenheit, not Celsius. Needless to say, anything that was not in the greenhouse is toast.

Yea its winding down here in WI too. 30's at night. Been bringing in a couple plants that still have some life in em over night.

Cool! Thanks guys! It ended up being only mid 40's... Would have been a shame to bring them in with at least 2 more weeks in the season. Sorry to hear that snarg... Jealous of everyone with greenhouses though!

Yeah, you have to inspect the pods, in rare cases snow can fall and the plants and fruit survive, but more often it is time to pick all pods and process then however you want as they will spoil within the next few days. YMMV, look for soft spots, a pod that remains firm is not ready to quit yet, but the signs are there, time is almost up either way.

you can turn the squishy ones into powder...

Yes you can indeed. Dehydating and grinding into powder is a perfect solution to end-of-season squishy or under-ripe peppers that just can not be thrown away. Im gonna dry some green habaneros tomorrow just so they get used rather than tossed onto the compost pile. I figure Ive had plenty of tasty sauces made from green habs, so why not make green pepper powder. Great idea biscgolf.

Back