Hey All

Hey ladies and gents. Longtime lurker here. Calling out from West Africa.

Been very interested in growing chilli's for a few years now. Have experimented with various chilli's with very poor results I must say. Considering am growing in the tropics I should have almost perfect conditions for growing.

Anyway just thought to say hello to everyone. Hoping to spread my vast knowledge of how 'not' to grow [emoji3] in my region. But looking forward to meeting fellow growers especially those with experience of growing in the tropics.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

:welcome: from the Philippines! - What part of West Africa are you at? I used to live in Liberia, left later due to the civil war in the 90s. I love the West African food, use a lot of scotch bonnets and african bird's eye chili peppers in their cooking along with palm oil, dried fish and local meats/vegs.

labuyo said:
:welcome: from the Philippines! - What part of West Africa are you at? I used to live in Liberia, left later due to the civil war in the 90s. I love the West African food, use a lot of scotch bonnets and african bird's eye chili peppers in their cooking along with palm oil, dried fish and local meats/vegs.
Hey Labuyo
Am in Nigeria. West African food is great. We of course use peppers in almost every meal we eat.

Choices of peppers are very limited. What you would get in a market would be red habaneros/scotch bonnets(we call tatashe) and red bells peppers (ata rodo).

In the past I have bought seeds from mostly Amazon UK and US and had friends and family bring back home for me. But my success rate with growing has been very poor. Most issues stem from germination and poor pest control. The spider mites ain't playing here.

Anyway just ordered seeds from pepper Joe's and another company with and hope to receive and start my journey again in about 2 weeks.

Welcome. Please feel free to share your favorite recipes using peppers at some point - I think most of us in the US are not too familiar with west African food but I know I'd like to learn 

jhc said:
Welcome. Please feel free to share your favorite recipes using peppers at some point - I think most of us in the US are not too familiar with west African food but I know I'd like to learn 
Hey Jhc

I would be very happy to share my limited knowledge on how Chilli's are used in West African couisine.

The most popular West African food that peppers are used is the renowned Jollof rice. This rice has led to many a Twitter war between Nigerians Ghanaians and other West African countries as to who makes the best rice.

I will share my recipe for making this rice but note everyone's recipe is different.

1. First thing I do is wash 2 cups (normal mugs) of rice in cold water(easy cook long grain rice or you can use easy cook basmati). This is to remove the starch and any dirt

2. Once drained of the water, add boiling water to the rice. Add 2 chicken stock cubes( chicken is preferable as beef cubes may be too strong). Mix and leave the rice to soak in the water.

3. Make your sauce.

Ingredients:
2 tins of peeled plum tomatoes(or the equivalent fresh tomatoes)
One large onion
4 habanero/scotch bonnet peppers
2 bell peppers
4 Chicken stock cubes
Salt
Mixed herbs

Note:
Go ahead and use your favourite peppers and chillis. We are limited by the variety of peppers we have in our markets.

A. Use your food processor or blender to mix the sauce ingredients into a smooth soup.

B. Heat up half a cup of vegetable oil till very hot and add the soup and stir.

C. Add the stock cubes and mixed herbs to the sauce. The herbs should not over power the sauce so constantly taste. Keep cooking the sauce till it taste cooked(7-10 mins on a medium heat should do)

4. Combine rice and sauce
The rice that has been soaking in the stock water should be drained of all excess water and mixed into the sauce. Once mixed taste the mix to ensure the taste is right. Add salt herbs or stock cubes if the taste is bland.

5. Place on the lowest heat on your cooker and try not to stir. You may find or hear the rice at the bottom of the pot start to burn. This adds a smoky flavour that gives jollof rice its unique taste.

6. The rice should soak up all the sauce and be soft but not mushy. You should still be able to see individual grains.

And voila you are done making the rice. There are many variations to this rice and people add everything from cooked prawns to sliced onions (when the rice is almost cooked)

Hope someone tries this out with some of the wonderful peppers you have growing or available to you.

Stay blessed.

Reactions: jhc
Back