• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Hey guys, somewhat new pepper grower. Any input?

Grew my first pepper plant this year in the ground, a cayenne from Lowe's that I planted in May. Tilled in some compost and set up a drip system and fed a few times. I got a good 30+ peppers or so throughout July and part of August until my dog dug up my plant. Man that plant was a nice little bush lol, too bad I was impatient and never let the peppers mature properly, they were huge but still had a "green" taste/look and no heat. I originally planted some Tabasco, Serrano, and jalapeno but something in the soil killed them early on, maybe a cutworm?

Anyway enough rambling lol. Next year I plan on growing in pots mostly with a good bit still in the ground.

Few questions, with this in mind: I live at 3,000ft in the high desert and my soil is alright (not as good as the sandy loam on the valley floor), dry and mostly hot summers. My last frost is sometime in April so starting seeds isn't really an option since I can't start indoor either.

1. Are seed starts from nurseries and places like Lowe's, etc, fine if I select the healthy ones?

2. What strains should I focus on that will do best in my climate? So far I know cayennes do alright.

3. What should I do to my soil in the garden plot? Should I use my rototiller again or should I just work in in a decent amount of compost, manure, maybe peat moss, by hand/with a shovel?

4. Does this soil mix look alright for pots? It's similar to some posted here and I've seen it recommended for other somewhat similar plants and herbs.

5 parts peat moss/coco
3 parts compost
2 parts perlite
Along with some dolomite lime and bonemeal maybe. I plan on feeding with compost teas and organic nutrients when needed. Also plan on mulching and watering consistently of course.

Any help/answers to my questions is GREATLY appreciated.

Why not use a good potting mix and add some extra stuff during the first transplant? My plants do better when left alone instead of micro-managing e'm. My TS been in the ground for over a year nothin but some compost to start em and worm poo water every few weeks except when the flowers are bloomin.
IMG_1110.jpg

Why not use a good potting mix and add some extra stuff during the first transplant? My plants do better when left alone instead of micro-managing e'm. My TS been in the ground for over a year nothin but some compost to start em and worm poo water every few weeks except when the flowers are bloomin.
IMG_1110.jpg

I would love to do that but we get frosts, occasional snow, and bad winds during the winter.

@tupperware, I don't have the space or resources atm to start a good amount of seeds indoors and I can't star outside since our last frost is kinda late.

Welcome to THP! You are definitely in the right place.

Man, if I lived at 3,000 feet I would SO be growing Capsicum pubescens, a.k.a. Rocoto or Mansano. It's an Andean species that's fussy at lower altitudes and higher temperatures, but your location should be ideal. Some say it's the ultimate chile. I wouldn't know, because I've never had one.

The Lowe's varieties are good chiles; at least the ones at our Lowe's here in Louisiana are for the most part good healthy plants, if you get them before the Lowe's employees kill them with their "care.". There's just not a whole lot of variety, but that's okay if you're just starting out. My first year I grew Anaheim, Jalapeño, and Thai Chile—At the time it all seemed very exotic.

answers:

1. the chilis they have are run of the mill you can
likely grow any chili you want to try to
with a little extra tender loving care and such

2. try some: anuums, baccatums, chinenses, frutescens, and some pubescens for starters
grow them and decide what will grow there and how well they will do it, take some pictures and report back here

3 and 4 there is no magical heartiness to be had by growing in pots versus soil
they are very similar with some differences try to grow some chilis from seed
even though you think it is out of the question :crazy:

{you probably fed a 'san berdoo kangaroo' or a mouse with the lost ones not a cutworm}

please try to take a few "chances" so you can learn from doing it

and welcome to the asylum :dance:

Thank you everyone.

@windchicken, I'm at a higher altitude but sadly the temps are still hot here, can reach 100 occasionally during summer.

@nitwit, yeah I'm guessing it was a kangaroo rat now that I think about it, will have to use chicken wire next year.

@papa, I just looked up tepin and those seem really interesting. Apparently they're like bushes with little peppers and can be found in parts of Texas? So they for sure like the heat.

I've decided I'll try and start some seeds this winter.

Back