• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Hi from Noobie Who is Trying to Kill His Plants

Hi everyone. I have been reading posts on this forum for a couple of years but have never had a reason to ask a question until now. In my desire to grow pepper plants I have overdone the fertlizers and the watering. I can now see the horrible error of my ways. I have been watering with Miracle Grow General Purpose fertlizer every week. I have added bone meal for calcium and sprayed the plants with Epsom Salts. The pots are heavy with overwatering. My plants are repaying me by dying. The leaves are withered and ugly on half the plants. I have read that I should flush out the pots with fresh water to get the fertilizer out, but I don't want to put any more water in. I have another month or so before I can get them outside and into their garden, so I don't want to re-pot them. If I leave them alone, let the soil dry out for a week or ten days and then (when the pots are light and they need watering) water them with plain water, will that work? Will the plants live?

Thanks.

Thanks punn177. I guess that once leaves show the distress of being over-fertilized those leaves are not going to bounce back, but in your experience and opinion, will the plants survive? Have you had plants that were burnt come back, if left alone?

Thanks again.

Pepperguy -

In my humble opinion, you are way overdoing it. I ferfilize about once a month with Miracle Gro and I water about every other day and it's super hot here in zone 8b.

I do use good soil amended with compost.

Be patient and don't over-fertilize or water - pepper plants don't like it.

They'll let you know if you just watch them grow.

Patience friend..........

Too much love it sounds like to me. Water when plants feel light, and gove nutrients every other week. Good luck and happy growing!

Pepperguy -

In my humble opinion, you are way overdoing it. I ferfilize about once a month with Miracle Gro and I water about every other day and it's super hot here in zone 8b.

I do use good soil amended with compost.

Be patient and don't over-fertilize or water - pepper plants don't like it.

They'll let you know if you just watch them grow.

Patience friend..........
Too much love it sounds like to me. Water when plants feel light, and gove nutrients every other week. Good luck and happy growing!

Thanks very much for this advice. I have learned my lesson. The fear of killing off my plants has scared me straight...in a manner of speaking. I am just wondering if the damage is irreparable or if the plants, left alone, might rebound.

Thank you again.

when you repot, try some natural fertilizer ( manure) chili plants love this stuff when mixed with potting soil!
Miracle grow every 30 days u will be fine.

Back