Hi, my name is Mark, I'm excited to start growing super hot chillis...

As the title says, I'm excited to start growing super hot chillis!

I live in South Australia, Australia. I've ordered some genuine red savina habanero seeds and some orange habanero seeds, and would like to grow about 3 plants of each, this coming spring/summer.

I'm curious as to what mediums to raise the seedlings in, and what medium to transplant them into, once they are ready. I've been reading up and am considering coco coir mixture with perlite etc, but will obviously consider a peat/mixture as well depending on what people think.

I'd like to grow them in 5 gallon white buckets to get as much yield as much out of them as possible, just using a quality growing medium and some fertiliser, possibly liquid fertiliser. I'd like to grow them in buckets due to the fierce summers here in Australia. I will probably need to move them to shadier areas during the peak of our summer here.

All that said, thank you for reading everyone, and any advice given will be greatly appreciated. I'm not rich by any means, but I'd like the effort put into growing up to 6 decent sized chilli plants, to not be wasted. Therefore I'm happy to spend a reasonable amount on seeding starting mediums (some recommend peat pellets?), their final growing medium and nutrients (sourced within Australia if possible).

Just something to mention, I've got a reasonably dark coloured soil in my garden, quite clay-like, but I've added some gypsum and will add some more. The soil appears very nutrient rich and has plenty of worms in it. Would it be worth mixing some of this in with the final growing medium or a bad idea? It doesn't have any manure in it. I've read that chilli plants need well draining soil, so I wouldn't think it would need much of any to be of benefit. What do people think about this idea?

I look forward to learning how to grow well, these super fruits. In time, id like to try to grow some ghosts as well. Since I've started buying them from my supermarket (inferior quality then home grown I know), my metabolism has improved, I've lost weight, I feel healthier and I have more energy (I've also been walking regularly, but the chilli's have helped raise my metabolism much then otherwise would've occurred with just walking).

P.s do I need to buy a PH tester for the growing medium? What additives whilst in their final growing medium, should I be thinking about getting?

Thanks everyone! 🍻

(Sorry if there are already a lot of threads on this very topic).

Last edited:
Cheers 🤠

I've just realised, there are probably a lot of threads on this site about the topic I've raised... I should probably have a read through them now.

I wonder if there are some Australian chilli growers who use this forum? If not, all good anyway. Glad to be here all the same.

:welcome: Mark!

Pop over to the Pepper Growing Forum and start a thread with your questions about growing. Lots of helpful folks here.

:welcome: Mark!

Pop over to the Pepper Growing Forum and start a thread with your questions about growing. Lots of helpful folks here.
Thanks for the welcome and tip Downriver, just wondering how I might find this pepper growing forum... I've typed pepper growing forum into the search bar and I can't seem to find any "pepper growing" thread. It's safe to say that I've done it wrong though 😆

Cheers 🤠

I've just realised, there are probably a lot of threads on this site about the topic I've raised... I should probably have a read through them now.

I wonder if there are some Australian chilli growers who use this forum? If not, all good anyway. Glad to be here all the same.
You will find both here, if you look around.
Welcome!

:welcome:
from the Pacific NorthWest, USA!

Back