• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

HID help needed!

My hid rig is seriously pissing me off.

The ballast will light the lamp, but then after a random amount of time, the light goes out. I've pulled it apart, and everything look fine on the inside, I've replaced the bulb, I've tried everything to no avail. Any thoughts?

with a mag ballast there are a few things id suggest, but with a digital... not so much.

even if you knew where the problem was, typically the entire pcb assembly is encased in a resin designed to move heat away from the components... making it all but impossible to access anything.

This is HPS right?

HPS bulbs work differently and I'll probably describe this a little wrong but bear with me. The light is lit with a lower voltage and it is allowed to heat up. Once the sodium gasses are sufficiently hot the next stage kicks in and the high voltage ignites the sodium into that piercing red light. Something in your 2nd stage is going wrong and I would suspect the bulb first. HPS bulbs that go bad won't ignite and the ballasts are programmed to shut down after so many failed attempts to light the sodium gas.

Easy fix for now, try a MH bulb. They don't use that 2nd stage so if that is the problem, you will still have light.

The majority of digital ballasts have internal protection circuitry designed to cut power in the event of overheating or short circuit. Since it actually powers on for some time before shutting off I'd lean towards overtemp protection shutting it off, typically with a short it would show up immediately upon power on except in some odd edge cases.

If I was going to attempt to troubleshoot it, I'd start by pulling the case off & checking for any discolored components(particularly the markings on the components change color from white to brownish). After that, measure resistance across the capacitors, you should see either an open circuit or some resistance, a 0 ohm measurement indicates a problem. Finally I'd plug it in & measure voltage rails as well as checking for components that get excessively hot. Do NOT attempt this if you are not comfortable working with electronics, plugging it in with the case off can expose you to LETHAL voltages. Hell, be careful even with it not plugged in because capacitors can hold dangerous amounts of energy if they don't have any bleed-off resistors. 

Unfortunately though most problems with digital ballasts will be difficult to troubleshoot without a schematic unless it's something obviously blown, and even then you may not find the problem that caused it to blow in the first place. And like queequeg said, a lot of them are encased in resin to prevent you working on them even if you can determine what's wrong.

I'm an electronics tech by trade & honestly I'd either see if I could RMA it or just scrap it if I could afford to replace it. 

Back