• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Highalt 2011

Sorry I went MIA for a bit ... my computer contracted a nasty virus last week.

Got a second batch of Cranberry Jalapeno Jelly made last week, plus some more pesto, and another batch of Lemon Basil Jelly, but STILL don't have enough ripe tomatoes to make the first batch of salsa. We probably only have 2 or 3 weeks left before our first frost, so things aren't looking good for this year's salsa/tomato sauce inventory :tear:

Since I'm on a roll with the jelly making though, I thought I would try to make a batch of Habanero Gold. The only problem being that I didn't grow any this year. My neighbors that own a local BBQ restaurant use them in some of their sauces though, so I was able to get some from them. Since I've never eaten or cooked with Habaneros before, I may start with a small batch to see if I need to make any quantity adjustments for the desired heat level. I'll post some pictures once I get that done.

I've got some anaheim type peppers, such as Sandia and Joe E. Parker that are ripe, but since I don't have enough ripe tomatoes yet, I need to come up with another plan for them. I guess I could freeze them, but I'd hate for them to be mushy in the salsa. Any suggestions?

Bonnie, you could dry them and use as dehydrated pods or grind them into powder. I'l probably go the dried pod route. Great for New Mexico Red Chile.

Bonnie, you could dry them and use as dehydrated pods or grind them into powder. I'l probably go the dried pod route. Great for New Mexico Red Chile.
The thought of making powder had crossed my mind. I want to save the seeds though, so I don't think I'll dry the pods whole. So far, there hasn't been any heat in the Joe E. Parker's or Sandias that I've picked, but I know that the Anaheim types have variable heat, so maybe they could still make a decent powder.

Is the New Mexico Red Chile a sauce, or a meat and beans kind of chile?

Had an English muffin this morning with some of the leftover Cranberry Jalapeno jelly from my second batch, and am very pleased with the results. The burn in my throat lasted for several minutes after I finished :dance:

Okay, I'm back with a picture of today's project, Habanero Gold Jelly.

HabaneroGoldJelly.jpg

I tasted each Habanero as I chopped them up to get an idea of the heat level, and they were hot for sure, but not as bad as I expected. The finished product was very similar in heat to the jelly I made with the Serranos, Fresnos, and Santa Fe Grandes. My only complaint was that the red pepper that I added for color has a somewhat tough skin. The recipe called for using a bell, but I didn't grow any this year, so I used a Sandia instead. Wondering what else I have out in the garden that I could use for color next time. I was hoping there would be a ripe Lemon Drop or two to add a little yellow, but they are all still green.

Got another batch of Habanero Gold Jelly in the canner. I didn't grow any red bells this year, so for the red pepper I used Chilhuacle Rojo this time. It's not a real hot pepper, but it does have some heat to it. The skin is softer than the Sandia, so that worked out better.

For those that thought my Cranberry Jalapeno Jelly wasn't hot enough last year, I don't think they'll be disappointed. This batch isn't playing, it has a serious kick to it! :mouthonfire:

Here is a pic of part of the harvest the other day. It became Chicken Tortilla Soup.

Fromthegarden.jpg

I used Sandia, Santa Fe Grande, and Cosa Arrugada peppers, plus some of my homemade paprika. Eating the last of the soup as I type. I think the amount of spice is just right, but my other half said it was too peppery. I said you mean too hot, he says no, just too strong a pepper flavor. This makes no sense to me ...

Looks good!
Nothing beats fresh produce from your own garden. I just harvested my first big lot of carrots (should've taken a pic :P ) and the flavour was so much better than anything you can buy.

Megamoo, I have some carrots that should have been picked a month ago, and they are humongous. Some of them have split they've gotten so big.

I finally tried the zucchini relish I made last month, and it didn't seem to have any heat at all. It looks like I'm going to have to grow some hotter peppers next year. I thought the Serranos would raise the heat level from last year, but I can't tell that they did. Anyone have suggestions for a pepper that would work well in zucchini relish? My other half suggested habaneros, but I don't think the fruitiness would work.

Usually a sauce, Bonnie. Here is a recipe.

Red Chile Sauce

The chiles that are traditionally used for Chile Colorado (red chile sauce) are the ones that are plucked off the ristras. Ristras, those strings of dried chiles that adorn houses in New Mexico are not just for decoration they are used for cooking also. This is a basic sauce that is used in any Southwestern recipe that calls for a red sauce such as enchiladas or tamales or as in the above recipe for Posole.

10 to 12 dried red New Mexican chiles
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 medium-sized onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 cups beef or vegetable broth
1 teaspoon dried oregano, Mexican preferred
Pinch of ground cumin
Salt to taste

Arrange the chile pods on a baking pan and place them in a 250 degree F. oven for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the chiles become very aromatic, being careful not to let them burn. Remove the stems and seeds and crumble the chiles into a saucepan.

Cover the chiles with hot water and allow them to steep for 15 minutes to soften. Drain the chiles and discard the water.

Heat the oil in a saucepan and when hot, add the onions and saute until they are soft. Add the garlic and saute for an additional minute. Add the chiles, broth, oregano, and cumin and simmer for 10 minutes.

Place all the ingredients in a food processor or blender and puree until smooth. Strain the mixture for a smoother sauce.

If the sauce is too thin, place it back on the stove and simmer until it’s reduced to the desired consistency, if too thick, add additional broth or water. Adjust the seasonings and serve.

Yield: 2 to 3 cups

Heat Scale: Medium to Hot

Source: Fiery Foods

Is the New Mexico Red Chile a sauce, or a meat and beans kind of chile?

I finally tried the zucchini relish I made last month, and it didn't seem to have any heat at all. It looks like I'm going to have to grow some hotter peppers next year. I thought the Serranos would raise the heat level from last year, but I can't tell that they did. Anyone have suggestions for a pepper that would work well in zucchini relish?
That is a great recipe you posted--will be giving it a try. To up the heat, consider adding some pequins--I had good luck with the Numex Bailey. Very hot, would make a great addition to anything pickled. A bit of fuss to cut up the little suckers, though

Super Chilis would go well in there, also.

Also don't give up on those Serranos. Maybe let them go to red to get max heat, though mine take forever. And/or double up the quantity on whatever peppers you got as we hit the end-o-season.

Thanks again for the recipe.... :cool:

Usually a sauce, Bonnie. Here is a recipe.

Red Chile Sauce

The chiles that are traditionally used for Chile Colorado (red chile sauce) are the ones that are plucked off the ristras. Ristras, those strings of dried chiles that adorn houses in New Mexico are not just for decoration they are used for cooking also. This is a basic sauce that is used in any Southwestern recipe that calls for a red sauce such as enchiladas or tamales or as in the above recipe for Posole.

10 to 12 dried red New Mexican chiles
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 medium-sized onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 cups beef or vegetable broth
1 teaspoon dried oregano, Mexican preferred
Pinch of ground cumin
Salt to taste

Arrange the chile pods on a baking pan and place them in a 250 degree F. oven for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the chiles become very aromatic, being careful not to let them burn. Remove the stems and seeds and crumble the chiles into a saucepan.

Cover the chiles with hot water and allow them to steep for 15 minutes to soften. Drain the chiles and discard the water.

Heat the oil in a saucepan and when hot, add the onions and saute until they are soft. Add the garlic and saute for an additional minute. Add the chiles, broth, oregano, and cumin and simmer for 10 minutes.

Place all the ingredients in a food processor or blender and puree until smooth. Strain the mixture for a smoother sauce.

If the sauce is too thin, place it back on the stove and simmer until it’s reduced to the desired consistency, if too thick, add additional broth or water. Adjust the seasonings and serve.

Yield: 2 to 3 cups

Heat Scale: Medium to Hot

Source: Fiery Foods

Sounds yummy! Thanks for sharing the recipe. So what type of pepper do they make the ristras from?

So today I made another batch of Cranberry Jalapeno Jelly, though I probably should just call it Cranberry Pepper Jelly, since I don't actually use Jalapenos in it. Used Serranos, Santa Fe Grande, and a Georgia Flame. Kind of thought the Georgia Flame was supposed to have more heat to it than it did. This batch is not as hot as the last one, though the heat does gradually build. My five year old begged for a bite, and said it was yummy and not too hot, but after a couple more bites, she said I could have the rest. Guess it crept up on her. I was a little disappointed though, because it didn't have enough heat to make my lips burn, or my nose run. :rofl:

Right now, I have a batch of Zucchini Candy in the dehydrator. Hoping tomorrow to put some peppers in there, or get a batch of Tomatillo Salsa canned. Our first frost is only a week or two away, so I'm trying to get something frozen, dried, or canned just about every day. Otherwise, when the frost arrives I'll have to work 'round the clock to get everything put up before it goes bad on me.

Whatever they are growing. Usually some type of long, green New Mexican chile (ripened to red before picking, of course). I think Big Jims are most popular, but 6-4's are popular (and mild) and Barker and Sandias (more spicy) are popular as well.

Sounds yummy! Thanks for sharing the recipe. So what type of pepper do they make the ristras from?

Here is what I harvested this morning. Clockwise from the bottom are Alma Paprika, Chilhaucle Rojo, Kalocsai V2, Czechoslovakian Black, and Cosa Arrugada. It was enough to fill two trays in the dehydrator.

PepperHarvest9-28-11.jpg

This is my first year growing Cosa Arrugada, and at first I was disappointed because it was milder than I expected, but I have to say that plant is one of my best producers. The branches are so loaded with pods that they are dragging the ground! It has a very sweet flavor, and the flesh is very thin. I think that it will make an excellent sweet paprika, which is great, since I needed a replacement for my struggling Alma's this year.

Whatever they are growing. Usually some type of long, green New Mexican chile (ripened to red before picking, of course). I think Big Jims are most popular, but 6-4's are popular (and mild) and Barker and Sandias (more spicy) are popular as well.

I figured they used one of the New Mexico Anaheim types. My Sandias have little to no heat, which is disappointing since I grew them because I had read they were hotter than some of the other varieties. Guess I'll try Barker next year ...

So yesterday I made my first batch of salsa this season. Only had enough ripe tomatoes to make ~ 4 1/2 pints, but it's better than nothing. I used Serranos, Jalapenos, Santa Fe Grande, Georgia Flame, Joe E. Parker, and one of my mystery peppers. After two years of being disappointed in the lack of heat in my salsa, I finally achieved what I believe is a solid medium heat level. :woohoo:

We have a freeze warning for the next two nights, so I harvested EVERYTHING. Here are some pictures of my final harvest.

Ancho San Luis - these things are almost as big as bell peppers!

AnchoSanLuis.jpg

Serrano Tampiqueno - these all came from one plant!

SerranoTampiqueno.jpg

Sandia - also from one plant

Sandia.jpg

Remember that Mystery pepper that was supposed to me an Alma Paprika. Here's was I harvested from it.

MysteryPepper.jpg

Lemon Drop - not a single ripe one on the plant yet. Is there anything I can use these for?

LemonDrop.jpg

Georgia Flame

GeorgiaFlmae.jpg

... and here is some miscellaneous peppers, mostly ripe Georgia Flame, and Cosa Arrugada.

Miscmostlyripepeppers.jpg

That is a great recipe you posted--will be giving it a try. To up the heat, consider adding some pequins--I had good luck with the Numex Bailey. Very hot, would make a great addition to anything pickled. A bit of fuss to cut up the little suckers, though

Super Chilis would go well in there, also.

Also don't give up on those Serranos. Maybe let them go to red to get max heat, though mine take forever. And/or double up the quantity on whatever peppers you got as we hit the end-o-season.

Thanks again for the recipe.... :cool:
Finally got some ripe Serranos at the end of the season, and the batch of salsa I made with them today was definitely a solid medium on the heat level. Not sure why that relish didn't seem to have any heat ...

Yesterday, I got a couple more trays of peppers in the dehydrator, and another batch of pepper jelly made. Used Serranos, a Santa Fe Grande, and a couple of the Kalocsai V2 in it, and it was my hottest batch yet, so yeah Siliman, I think those Serranos did get hotter when ripe. My lips were burning for at least 20 minutes after eating the scraps left in the pan. :onfire:

Today spent the day making salsa. It was a lot of work for 9 pints, but I do have almost a pint leftover for snacking. :dance:

Salsa-1.jpg

Other than salsa, jelly, and powders, what else can I use my bounty of peppers for???

Other than salsa, jelly, and powders, what else can I use my bounty of peppers for???
I don't know, but I sure like how your beauties end up as tasty food!

Wife loves the relish recipe SO much, as a sweet way to reduce the zuke overload. We ended up with a couple of runs using a hot mix of peppers--kind of what was on hand at the time, with the pequins being the most 'active' ingredient. Simply amazing results. Thanks again..... :cool:

Now if I could just get my serranos to ripen. Man, they are stubborn.

Back