• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Highalt's 2014 Grow = Meager beginnings

Just getting started, and don't even have a full list put together yet.

Yesterday I planted the following:

Pubescens:

6  Yellow Manzano (from Smokemaster)
6  Orange Manzano (from Fanatic 79)
9  Mexican Manzano (from Smokemaster)  Not sure on the color, it may be a mix.

Chinense:

6 Peach Habanero  (Harvested '12)
6 Pink Habanero (PepperJam)
3 Jamaican Hot Chocolate (Peppermania)
3 Bonda Ma Jacques  (?  no name on packet, and can't remember now)
3 Tobago Scotch - Yellow  (Melissa)

I may add a couple more, like maybe the Purple Bhut, or a Fatalii if I can find seeds for a yellow one.  How much hotter is the 7 Pot Yellow than the Fatalii?  I think I may have seeds for that one ...

The Baccatums will get sown in another week or two, and the Annums will be started by mid-February but I haven't quite figured out which ones yet.

I really like the Rapid Rooter/Root Riot plugs I've used in the past, but didn't have the funds for those this time, so I just sowed in some Jiffy Organic Seed Germinating Mix.

Once the first seed sprouts, I'll try and get a pic posted.

My germination percentage overall is not great, but it seems to be an all or none kind of proposition.  Some varieties have no sprouts, and others every single seed popped.

Bishop's Crown  (100% germination)

WkQlDv9.jpg

Mexican Manzanos  -  These have done GREAT!  The Yellow ones, all but one had helmet heads, and none of the Orange came up at all!

Zs0XaW6.jpg

Aji Yellow

nz4718k.jpg

... and a little belated Valentine I made for the kids today,  Chocolate Chip Cherry Muffins

WrmvLJe.jpg

The annuums should start popping up any day now ...

Are the bishops from your crazy longer ones or from another source? Those were cool! Plenty of them popping which ever they are!
The others are great choices too. Sorry to hear some are struggling to live.
:)
I love muffins!

Looks great. I to live in Colorado. Parachute to be exact. Had good success last years first time pepper grow of 40+ Habs and Bhuts. 12+ cayennes. Good luck !

I always know I can find pictures of wonderful deliciousness here!  Glad to see you back at it this year Bonnie!  I'll have to isolate some Fatalii seeds this year and send you a pack of proper seeds and not run it through Shane so I can get that monkey off my back.  Things just change out in California.  It's a strange place out there... 
Glad to see stuff sprouting for you  - best of luck!

Okay, here is how germination is looking

Sown 1-10-14

Pubescens:

1/6  Yellow Manzano (from Smokemaster)
0/6  Orange Manzano (from Fanatic 79)
8/9  Mexican Manzano (from Smokemaster)  Not sure on the color, it may be a mix.

Chinense:

3/6 Peach Habanero  (Harvested '12)
5/6 Pink Habanero (PepperJam)
0/3 Jamaican Hot Chocolate (Peppermania)
0/3 Bonda Ma Jacques  (?  no name on packet, and can't remember now)
1/3 Tobago Scotch - Yellow  (Melissa)

Sown 1-20-14

Chinense:

2/4, but both are helmet heads  Fatalii  (from GA Growhead)
0/4 Burkina Scotch Bonnet (not sure of source)
3/4 Purple Bhut  (Melissa)

Baccatum:

2/5 Aji Yellow  (Paul - I think)
1/6 Aji Chinchi Amarillo  (harv. seed '12)
4/4 Aji Habanero  (Wayright)
4/4 Aji Limo Rojo  (Smokemaster)
6/6 Bishops Crown (not sure of source)
3/4 Rain Forest  (my harv. seed from '12)

1-24-14

1/6 Datil (GA Growhead)

2-8-14

7/8 Alma Paprika  (Harv.'13)
4/6 Ancho San Luis (Harv.'11)
4/6 Black Hungarian (Harv.'12)
6/9 Cascabella (Harv. '10)
0  One pod's worth of Charapita seeds (Shane)
3/6 Cayenne Thick (Socal Chilehead)
7/7 Chilhuacle Amarillo (Harv.'12)
2/6 Chilhuacle Negro (Smokemaster)
4/6 Chilhuacle Roho (Harv.'11)
7/9 Fresno (Harv.'13)
5/6 Golden Cayenne (Doc-N-Rock)
2/3 Georgescu Chocolate (Baker's Creek '13)
6/6 Georgia Flame (Harv.'11)
9/9 Jaloro (Harv.'13)
7/8 Jamaican Hot Yellow (KingDenniz)
6/6 La Rouge Royale (Hillbilly Jeff)
4/6 Lumbre (Harv.'13)
2/6 Mulato Isleno (TradeWindsFruit)
0/4 Patio Red Marconi (Baker's Creek '09)
6/6 Sandia (Harv.'12)
8+ 1 HH/9 Santa Fe Grande (Harv.'13)
0/6 Serrano Cozumel Market (Paul G.)
5 +1HH/6 Serrano Tampiqueno (Harv.'11)
5/8 Sweet Pickle (Harv. '10 or '11)
6/6 Tunisian Baklouti (Baker's Creek '1)
0/6 Piquillo (Tinley244)
0/8 Volcano (Elkwc)

2-14-14

0/6 Aji Chuncho

I was misting the top of the soil prior to germination, but should have started bottom watering the ones that had sprouted.  When I went to separate some of the seedlings, the top was moist, but 1/2 way down was completely dry, and there were almost no roots at ALL!  When I used the Root Riot plugs the past couple of years, I had great root systems.   :mope: 

Hopefully,  I caught it early enough to salvage the situation, but it will probably slow growth down for a bit.

Say what!?!  Over 150???   I hadn't actually counted until I saw your post, JJ!   :rofl:

Hmmm ... I only have enough room for 75 - 80, but I'm sure I'll lose a few sprouts before plant-out arrives, and I enjoy giving away the leftovers.  

Just caught up Bonnie, glad to see you back. Great list of peppers, even a few I'm growing too. 

Looking forward to seeing all the Jelly and Jamin fun :)

Prayers lifted

I love those manzanos - and the peach habaneros.  Although, I'm not growing those this year, I'm doing Bahamian Goat peppers instead.  Not sure if you've tried those but they are wonderful!  Great list!

No, I haven't tried the Bahamian Goat peppers, but will have to research them for next season.

Killed off most of my Manzano sprouts when I separated and replanted them.  Down to 2 Mexican Manzanos and 1 Yellow Manzano.  Lost a couple of habs as well, but have a couple of late sprouters than I am excited about.  Today, one of Shane's Charapitas finally popped up, and a Volcano, which I didn't get any germination with last year.

Resowed the Aji Chuncho for the Tallest Grow contest, even though I don't have a chance in #@!& of winning at this point.  Also, resowed the Patio Red Marconi, and the Aji Chinchi Amarillo.

Sowed 21 kinds of tomato seeds today.  Some seeds were as old as '08, so I'll be curious to see what kind of germination I end up with.  I'm retrying a couple of varieties that didn't sprout last year.  Since I only have room for about 18 plants, it will be okay with me if not all of them sprout.  Especially since I sowed 3 or 4 of each kind!!!

Here's what I planted:

Amish Paste
Amazon Chocolate
Aunt Gertie's Gold
Anna Margaret's Pink German
Black Cherry
Box Car Willie
Cherokee Purple
Caspian Pink
Dana's Dusky Rose
Earl's Faux  (my favorite!)
Galina's Yellow Cherry
Giant Belgium
Heart of Compassion - Pink Oxheart
Hillbilly
Huge Lemon Oxheart
Ludmilla's Pink Heart  (these were HUGE last year)
Matt's Wild Cherry
Neve's Azorean Red
Orange Oxheart
Striped German
Virginia Sweets

A few of the peppers are getting their first set of true leaves.  I'll try and get some pictures up later.

Haven't had time to check on everyone's grows, but hope everything is going well for all my THP friends!

Sorry about the Manzanos, Bonnie, buy yay on the Carapita! 
I wanna try that one next year.
Your tomato list is longer than mine by a little. I'm doing the that Amish, the Black Cherry , and the Cherokee.
I'm putting out a few tomatoes early that I've already sowed, but I'm holding off until the last minute on the main wave on account of light shortage.

May spring find you early.

Back