• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Highalt's 2014 Grow = Meager beginnings

Just getting started, and don't even have a full list put together yet.

Yesterday I planted the following:

Pubescens:

6  Yellow Manzano (from Smokemaster)
6  Orange Manzano (from Fanatic 79)
9  Mexican Manzano (from Smokemaster)  Not sure on the color, it may be a mix.

Chinense:

6 Peach Habanero  (Harvested '12)
6 Pink Habanero (PepperJam)
3 Jamaican Hot Chocolate (Peppermania)
3 Bonda Ma Jacques  (?  no name on packet, and can't remember now)
3 Tobago Scotch - Yellow  (Melissa)

I may add a couple more, like maybe the Purple Bhut, or a Fatalii if I can find seeds for a yellow one.  How much hotter is the 7 Pot Yellow than the Fatalii?  I think I may have seeds for that one ...

The Baccatums will get sown in another week or two, and the Annums will be started by mid-February but I haven't quite figured out which ones yet.

I really like the Rapid Rooter/Root Riot plugs I've used in the past, but didn't have the funds for those this time, so I just sowed in some Jiffy Organic Seed Germinating Mix.

Once the first seed sprouts, I'll try and get a pic posted.

Okay, I know they're still pretty tiny, but at least they're not DEAD!

Rtl4v3b.jpg

S0k78Wj.jpg

BjfC1ZU.jpg

This one is Aji Limo Rojo
xKyLghp.jpg

Sweet Pickle
u5Iibbj.jpg

Charapita

MzW1ijM.jpg

Guess I spoke too soon on the "not dead" thing ...

Don't get me wrong, I should end up with enough plants to supply my needs, but I lost a ton of sprouts.  Mostly due to the germinating mix issues.  Wet on the surface, but bone dry 1/2" below the surface.  I tried potting them up into a mixture of Ocean Forest and the germinating mix, but then it was too heavy.  Plus, there just wasn't enough root system to sustain the sprouts at that point.  Just couldn't seem to get it right this year.  Think I'll go back to the Root Riot plugs next year.  

A few are finally taking off, but things are way behind last year.  At least I don't have to worry about the plants getting too big before plant out!    :rolleyes:

On a positive note, the tomatoes did awesome this year.  Almost every seed germinated and no casualties.  Why aren't peppers as easy to grow???

Outside, I have lettuce, spinach, and peas starting to come up, and I planted a few carrots and radishes today.

Still waiting on the community garden plot to be tilled, so I can start getting things ready over there.  

I'll try and get some pictures posted soon ...

Happy Easter to all!!!

I also planted carrots and radishes today. :)
Sorry to hear about the germinating soil issues. There is always something that can go wrong. Soil is a big one. I went back to my basics this year and that helped my numbers. Always a risk when charting uncharted territory.
On a positive note, glad to hear the tomatoes are doing well. I planted some seeds from the ones you sent me last year and they all are germinating. By your dates, some are 4 to 5 years old.
Stay positive and think about how much room each plant will have with the numbers down. ;)

Hi Bonnie, what is your camera? Nice close ups!
The Aji Chinchi Amarillos, and Aji Chihuacle Amarillos(please correct my spelling-going from last seed pack viewing,and that was a while ago)came up like nobodies business. I will probably do one more anuum start(here we go again..."just a few more").
I had temperature issues delay my germinations -next year a heating mat or 2 is going to be first order of business.My best group was simply MG seed starting mix and perlite-back to basics as GA Growhead said.Funny ,that seems to work across the board!
Down here , I wish the tomatoes would grow as well as the peppers!Most fall prey to in ground fungus after the first go round, but I need to research seed and variety types for disease and heat resistance-vs buying starts.
Rocky starts mean bountiful finishes-
Have a good one,
DJ

GA, some of the tomato seeds I sowed this year were from as far back as 2008, and had close to 100% germination.  The only no show was Neves Azorean Red.

DJ, the camera is a Nikon Coolpix L310.  I've had it about a year.  It takes great outdoor pictures, and the sports mode is really cool when taking pictures of the kid's soccer games.  My only complaint is it doesn't do well indoors.  I've tried multiple settings, and haven't found one that works consistently.

Speaking of pics, I didn't get any today.  I did, however, pot up 40 + sprouts.  That's the last of the ones in the bad potting mix, so hopefully things will improve from here on out.  Added a lot more perlite this time around, and the mix feels much better.

Bonnie, I have a full sealed bag and over 3/4 of another bag of root riot I am not sure if I will be using.  If you would like to pick these up at a discounted price, I would be more than happy to mail them to you.

No rush on them, they aren't going anywhere.

Hey, Bonnie,  your grow is on!  Should be looking even better by now.  Sorry I have missed
your glog so far, but I just haven't been doing much forum surfing lately!  The little fuzzy
manzanos look great.  I hope you can grow them all out!

Glad you are still present on the grow forum, girl!  BTW the Devil's Tongue have great heat,
but not much for flavor in my opinion.  I probably won't grow them again since Bonda Ma Jacques
and Fatali are so much better.  If you want some seeds for next season, let me know.  
I also have some Yellow Fatali seeds, too, same situation as Shane - OP stuff.

Thanks for the offer, Jeff!  Not sure how long they are good for, and I am done sowing for this season.

Hi Paul!  Thanks for stopping by!  The Fatalli sprout didn't make it, and the Datil's were helmet heads, so not really going to have any hot yellows this season.  Can't remember if I have any Bonda Ma Jacques seeds left or not.  I sowed them last year, but the one plant that survived never produced anything.

There will definitely be fewer plants, and fewer varieties this season, but some of my favorites are hanging in there.  I have two Mexican Manzanos and one Yellow Manzano that look like they are going to make it.  Will baby those on the back patio, instead of sending them to the harsh realities of the community garden.

Also doing well are several Bishop's Crown, Rain Forest, Alma Paprika, Aji Limo Rojo, and Aji Habanero.

Will try and do a picture update this weekend when I have more time.

Hi Bonnie,

Sorry to read about your woes, we all have them. I had some that didn't germ, and some that did and said no afterwards :mope:

I have a L820, not much higher on the specs, 16mp is the major difference, and that's not much over 14.1. I use mine without the flash and it does fine indoors and in low light. I guess just play with it ;)

Good luck this season!

Still no pics to post ... sorry.  

Currently it is snowing like crazy, and there is a freeze warning the next two nights!!!  So much for the "Don't plant until Mother's Day" myth around here.  I haven't even thought about hardening anything off yet.  Will probably be well after Memorial Day before the peppers and tomatoes go in the ground.  This is fine by me, since my plants are still pretty tiny.  Hoping they'll take off once they are in the great outdoors.

Only one more week of soccer, and then I'll have a little more time to focus on the garden.

Was supposed to go to work tomorrow but got cancelled because of weather in Aspen. It just rained down here today. Couple more cold nights and it looks promising. Good luck

Finally took a few photos!  No group shot, since this is all the decent looking ones I have!

Mexican Manzano

83eZAcs.jpg

Pink Habanero

8lqiz6P.jpg

Bishop's Crown

DVE8Ewp.jpg

Rain Forest  (yes, that is snow you see out the window!)

GfjcUh1.jpg

Tobago Scotch Yellow

sbfnV6w.jpg

Alma Paprika

AadbRk7.jpg

Charapita

Q638491.jpg

Tomato jungle  (Yeah, I know, they are in serious need of repotting, LOL)

v9q1ncP.jpg

View out my front door this morning

bTU3P1D.jpg

Back