vendor Hirts Gardens

I'm growing some questionable peppers from them now... LOL...

o well.. there either Bhut Jolokia or Habanero, there supposed to be Bhut's but from the posts people had about them they might not be.

Well, the peppers I bought from them this year were the saddest looking bunch of seedlings I've ever seen. Best case scenario, they were extremely leggy and all but the topmost leaves had fallen off, worst case they infected the rest of my plants with fungal leaf spot and aphids. They recovered, in time... and now that the peppers are setting fruit I'm not 100% sure that they're all as advertised, namely at least one of the plants looks like a cross.

I won't be buying from them again.

Not a good vendor at all, they're (in)famous for seeds and plants that are mixed up or don't grow true, stealing other people's pictures without permission, shipping bad looking plants, and non existent customer service. They sell Caribbean Reds labeled as Bhut Jolokia, and when people tell them they're not Bhut Jolokia they just insist that they are indeed bhut jolokia when it's blatantly obvious to anyone with a brain that they aren't. Checkout Dave's Garden's Watchdog site, they have something like 45% negative reviews, and someone from the company tried to pose as a satisfied customer on page 2. I would never buy anything from them, they are scum bags at worst, incompetent at best.

If you order from them you might get what you ordered, the seeds might germinate well or the plant might be in ok shape, but it's a crap shoot. And if there is a problem, they might do something to fix it, ordering from them is a roll of the dice.

Last year I got Caribbean Red, Red Scotch Bonnet and Brazilian Starfish from them and they were fantastic and some of my best growers... but I think the CR and BS are easier to grow than most varieties so it is probably the variety and not that fact I got them from Hirts. The plants I received were not as large as my CCN plants but I was not unhappy with their size. CCN or thechilewoman would be my first choice but this late in the season there are not may people selling plants so what the heck give it a try with a small order.

I believe RefiningFireChiles.com (Jim Duffy, Habanero500 on here) still has plants for sale, including a lot of superhots. They're a little pricey but good quality and will be what they say they are.

This is the hybrid last year I make, C.Galapagoense x Cap 1546. I lost due to Hirts plants was in the garden with mine ,Hirts plants are full with afrids,never buy again anything from that nursery,also they use my peppers images & put on Amazon.com selling product

CGalapagoensexCap1546P1030650.jpg

I believe RefiningFireChiles.com (Jim Duffy, Habanero500 on here) still has plants for sale, including a lot of superhots. They're a little pricey but good quality and will be what they say they are.

I'm not so sure about his Scorpions. He recently decided to retitle his Scorpions as ButchT's even though he admitted on here that his source never labeled them as such. I think they were supposed to be New Mexico Scorpions or other. But I guess everyone knows it's best to buy the ButchT's from Neil.

Last spring, I bought a plant from Hirts that was supposed to be a Bhut Jolokia. I didn't have a chance to find out, as it came with Aphids. I tried to kill the Aphids, but it was a losing battle, so I threw that plant out.

This forum, as well as other internet sites has many complaints about Hirts. Check out the bad Amazon reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/Bhut-Jolokia-Chile-Pepper-Seeds/dp/B00125QT3Y

Stay away from them!

I'm not so sure about his Scorpions. He recently decided to retitle his Scorpions as ButchT's even though he admitted on here that his source never labeled them as such. I think they were supposed to be New Mexico Scorpions or other. But I guess everyone knows it's best to buy the ButchT's from Neil.
I think he now has seeds directly from ButchT, and his previous stock was likely already ButchT. He was not involved in naming them New Mexico scorpions, he was totally against it.
Neil is a great source but many members here have been growing it for many years before him, including Butch himself

I noticed, After seeing scotch bonnets, and What I noticed from the leaf shape of my bonnets last year( even though they never produced fruit)
The sent me 3 red mushroom plants.....)
But the flavor is one of the best
I have tried when it comes to chili.

Well on the same token you don't know much about chili vendors. Just as I and several others have learned the hard way you MUST purchase seeds from a trusted vendor. Check out the sticky for help on finding a trusted vendor.

Good luck

Back