• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

History of the Traveling Chile

Does anyone have any knowledge where the Hawaiian chili pepper could have come from originally. There are a couple different varieties that I know of, this one being the smaller and hotter of the two. Not sure when chiles first made it too the islands. Cook didn't make it here until 1778 so I'm guessing sometime after that.

Forgot to add photo
Hawaiianchilipepperwater002.jpg

Does anyone have any knowledge where the Hawaiian chili pepper could have come from originally. There are a couple different varieties that I know of, this one being the smaller and hotter of the two. Not sure when chiles first made it too the islands. Cook didn't make it here until 1778 so I'm guessing sometime after that.

I would assume the Portuguese/Asian populations introduced them at some stage when they were brought in/came in to work on the sugarcane plantations sometime after Cook in 1800-1890?? I really have no idea though however that would be my guess and as to their exact origin/species that would probably require some DNA comparison to have any idea.

That pic you posted looks alot like...

Jindungo pod
1354748009_821f49deaa_z.jpg

Jindungo Plant
05Quixico_arbustos%20do%20jindungo.jpg

The Portuguese brought these from Brasil to Africa and Europe, maybe they stopped at Hawaii a hundred years later or something.

Bleash

That pic you posted looks alot like...

Jindungo pod
1354748009_821f49deaa_z.jpg

Jindungo Plant
05Quixico_arbustos%20do%20jindungo.jpg

The Portuguese brought these from Brasil to Africa and Europe, maybe they stopped at Hawaii a hundred years later or something.

Bleash

That would be my guess too!!

OK I'm looking at both pods and they are either C. Annuum or C. Fruitscens, one may be C.Annuum & the other C.Fruitscens or they may both be the same, pictures of the blossoms would help.

Back