• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

HM's Second Attempt for 2020

OK,

Last grow was decimated by broad mites. It's been 3 weeks since I got rid of all the plants, so that should have been long enough to kill any remaining stragglers that might have fallen off the plants in the grow room. Now, since I'm WAY behind in 2020, I'm starting plants that are good producers - nothing fancy, nor too ambitious - I just want a decent harvest to get some redemption.

Here's the list:

Lemon Drop (superhotchiles.com) - always been interested in this one, never had a chance to grow it.
Jalafuego (tomatogrowers.com) - our favorite Jalapeno. We only tried a sample of pickled jalapenos earlier this year, we want more.
Pepperoncini (tomatogrowers.com) - Another one for pickling
Chichimeca Jalapeno (tomatogrowers.com) - I've had these seeds for a while and never grew them. Wanted to compare these to the Jalafuego.

My wife also wanted some tomatoes, so I'm going to be growing a determinate variety in a 5 gal kratky, along with some basil. We'll see how that goes.

All seeds were pre-soaked for 24 hours in a 0.15% H2O2 solution.
O9JqDA6.jpg

They are now in rockwool cubes on the heating mat.
Yx3zdu1.jpg

Now the waiting game begins...

Glad to see your Kratky plants doing so well, HM!  :party: 
I would say you have definitely saved your grow
with the ‘second season’ attempt. Oh, yeah.

And more seeds to plant!  :woohoo:

75FFCD8E-ECAA-424F-849C-202EFCD9E5D5.jpeg

Well done, Mr. Miser  :clap:

Looking great! Hopefully your pepperoncini turn out better than mine. I loved the flavor, but by the time they even started to ripen, every single pod was developing mold on the seeds. No idea what that plant's deal is; nothing else growing around it had that problem.  :confused:

PaulG said:
Glad to see your Kratky plants doing so well, HM!  :party: 
I would say you have definitely saved your grow
with the ‘second season’ attempt. Oh, yeah.

And more seeds to plant!  :woohoo:

attachicon.gif
75FFCD8E-ECAA-424F-849C-202EFCD9E5D5.jpeg
Well done, Mr. Miser  :clap:

Thanks Paul, hopefully I'll be able to get a decent harvest from these plants. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for better luck this time around! Those mites really did a number on my previous grow...

internationalfish said:
Looking great! Hopefully your pepperoncini turn out better than mine. I loved the flavor, but by the time they even started to ripen, every single pod was developing mold on the seeds. No idea what that plant's deal is; nothing else growing around it had that problem.  :confused:

Thanks 'fish! Both my wife and I are intrigued with the pepperoncini, since we've only tried them pickled. Never seen a ripe one, so it will be fun to try them out! No idea about the mold on the seeds though, we'll see if that happens with this plant. I'll definitely report back!

Quick update to show the seeds that germinated yesterday. I planted both of them earlier this year and wasn't able to see them setting fruit. Both of them will be grown in 1 gal containers.

Top one is my "Mystery Pepper", obtained at an Asian market. I think it's a kind of Thai pepper, but we'll see...
Bottom one is Numex Twilight. 
wYdsCsy.jpg

HeatMiser said:
Thanks 'fish! Both my wife and I are intrigued with the pepperoncini, since we've only tried them pickled. Never seen a ripe one, so it will be fun to try them out! No idea about the mold on the seeds though, we'll see if that happens with this plant. I'll definitely report back!

Mine were sold as Golden Greek but appear to have been mixed up with the variety that ripens red. Seems to me the mold thing must be a problem with that plant, because I don't see how you'd manage to get viable seeds from those pods to keep the strain going if that were a normal issue... anyway, delicious pods. Looking forward to yours!

Plants are doing great so far. 

They've added a few inches this week, so I had to raise the lights a few times. All plants have flower buds now, so I'm excited to finally see some peppers.

Lemon Drop and Pepperoncini
The Lemon Drop has a few flower buds already. Looking forward to trying these peppers for the first time. The Pepperoncini must have close to 100 buds already, with about ten or so flowers already open.
YlVa6vP.jpg

And the Pepperoncini is the first one to develop a pod. There are many more coming - hopefully we'll like them because this plant is gearing up to produce A TON of them.
eXIfV6I.jpg

Jalafuegos
These have gotten taller this week and are working on developing a few flower buds. Should see some flowers soon
DtzAdAt.jpg

CaneDog said:
Great to see how well everything is doing HM.  Sounds like that pepperoncini could be be a real producer for you!

PaulG said:
+1, CD! Plants are looking great in your kratkys!

Thanks a lot guys! I'm still keeping my fingers crossed since it was at about this time that I started having issues with my previous grow. However, I like the fact that the grow has been pretty much uneventful so far, which is what I was expecting from my first grow here in THP!

Another weekly update...

The plants are now increasing their nutrient consumption, so they got their second replenishment this week. They drank a full gallon of nutrients in 2.5 weeks and there were two gallons on average left in the buckets. From now on, they will be replenished with 2 gallons at every nutrient change.

The Lemon Drop keeps growing upwards and is now developing flower buds. I'm hoping to see flowers soon. However, there seems to be some signs of nutrient deficiency (I believe Potassium), which I hope will be resolved by the nutrient change. Otherwise, I'll have to increase the concentration since the EC was at 0.8 in this one plant when I changed the nutes. The Pepperoncini is absolutely loaded with flowers and there are a few pods already on it. I've only seen this many flowers in ornamental species, so this plant has been a pleasant surprise, despite the "meh" factor of it being a pepperoncini. Definitely fun to grow this one.

Group Shot
2PhH5Pt.jpg

Flowers on the Pepperoncini - it was hard to take a picture that captures most of the flowers on this plant.
wWfX976.jpg

Necrosis on some leaves on the Lemon Drop - I believe this is caused by a Potassium (K) deficiency according to this. Putting this here to see if anybody has any other suggestions.
Miza6lE.jpg

Jalafuegos
The Jalafuegos do not want to be left behind. They are flowering, but not as prolifically as the Pepperoncini. There are already a couple of pods on these plants, which I'm definitely excited to try

The two jalafuegos
REZ7DKv.jpg

Few flowers on one of the plants
05DLdP2.jpg

A micro-jalafuego
2rsebRT.jpg

Great to see the pods forming on the pepperoncini and jalafuego, HM.  It seems like the plants have been developing quickly - of course, it always seems quicker when it's someone else's plants  :)

And good luck with the marginal necrosis - this is supposed to be your hassle-free grow!  Whatever it is, your plants generally look healthy and vigorous.   :thumbsup:

CaneDog said:
Great to see the pods forming on the pepperoncini and jalafuego, HM.  It seems like the plants have been developing quickly - of course, it always seems quicker when it's someone else's plants  :)

And good luck with the marginal necrosis - this is supposed to be your hassle-free grow!  Whatever it is, your plants generally look healthy and vigorous.   :thumbsup:

Thanks CD, they have indeed been developing quickly - growing about half an inch on a daily basis for a few weeks now. I know this because I have to raise the lights pretty frequently!

Haha, I know! I wasn't supposed to have any problems with this grow, but well - it's been a walk in the park compared to the previous one :). I think this should be fixed by increasing the nutrient concentration since that one plant is taking nutrients in faster than the Annuums. I wonder if this is a trait of the Baccatums in general. So I will do more periodic nutrient changes, increasing the concentration each time and see where that takes me. But as you said, overall the plant is looking healthy. Hopefully it stays that way..

ahayastani said:

Indeed :thumbsup: I've sown pepperoncini about a month ago and I can only hope my plants will look like yours :)

Thanks ahayastani - these pepperoncini have definitely blown my mind with how quickly they have developed and how prolific they have been so far. I'm sure the weather down there will help your plants grow even faster.

While most people are already finishing off their seasons, I'm still at work trying to manage a decent harvest before the end of the year :)

That being said, things are progressing nicely around here. 

The Lemon Drop was starting to get too tall for my liking, so I started pruning it a bit in an attempt to get it to grow more bushy and not much taller than the pepperoncini. I also changed the nutrients for this plant in an attempt to mitigate the necrosis in some leaf margins. I used 12ml/gal of CNS 17 which resulted in 1.5 EC. This is a slight increase over the 1.2 EC that I was using originally. A couple of days after the change, the EC had dropped to 1.3, so this tells me the plant is absorbing nutrients faster than the others. The leaf necrosis doesn't seem as prevalent now, but I'll still increase the nutrient concentration to about 1.8 EC.

The Pepperoncini is hard at work producing more flowers and pods.

Both plants
ZnmgDoP.jpg

Top view of the Pepperoncini. This plant continues to impress me.
u5ViZND.jpg

A few pods
K6abXlT.jpg

Jalafuegos
These plants don't want to be left behind. They are currently flowering quite a bit and some pods are beginning to set. Overall, they are bushier than the pepperoncini, and with bigger leaves. 

Group shot
sS0zxMH.jpg

Some pods. Notice the pollen on some leaves - I shook the plant before taking the picture
bE4oS3k.jpg

Those are some healthy looking plants, HM!

The light box looks like it's really doing the job.

Back