• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

HM's Second Attempt for 2020

OK,

Last grow was decimated by broad mites. It's been 3 weeks since I got rid of all the plants, so that should have been long enough to kill any remaining stragglers that might have fallen off the plants in the grow room. Now, since I'm WAY behind in 2020, I'm starting plants that are good producers - nothing fancy, nor too ambitious - I just want a decent harvest to get some redemption.

Here's the list:

Lemon Drop (superhotchiles.com) - always been interested in this one, never had a chance to grow it.
Jalafuego (tomatogrowers.com) - our favorite Jalapeno. We only tried a sample of pickled jalapenos earlier this year, we want more.
Pepperoncini (tomatogrowers.com) - Another one for pickling
Chichimeca Jalapeno (tomatogrowers.com) - I've had these seeds for a while and never grew them. Wanted to compare these to the Jalafuego.

My wife also wanted some tomatoes, so I'm going to be growing a determinate variety in a 5 gal kratky, along with some basil. We'll see how that goes.

All seeds were pre-soaked for 24 hours in a 0.15% H2O2 solution.
O9JqDA6.jpg

They are now in rockwool cubes on the heating mat.
Yx3zdu1.jpg

Now the waiting game begins...

This was Feliz Trinidad, from the calendar.  It's day 20 and I've amassed a small army of these guys on my desk.  They've been hotter varieties of a late - the scorpion was yesterday's and it's XMAS in Carolina, today - but, judging by the few I've tried, I don't expect any to be true scorchers.

Yep, I'm a big fan of cooking the larger portions and letting it cover multiple meals, when possible.  It's just too much time and effort to start all over again every time.

Quick unbiased review of the pickled Pepperoncinis from my wife:

"They taste just like a pickle"

5 minutes later: "let me have another one"

2 minutes later: "I don't think these are going to last very long"

So she liked them, but not enough to grow again. I tend to agree - while they definitely improved in flavor from being pickled, the store bought pepperoncinis are better in this case.

HeatMiser said:
Quick unbiased review of the pickled Pepperoncinis from my wife:

"They taste just like a pickle"

5 minutes later: "let me have another one"

2 minutes later: "I don't think these are going to last very long"

So she liked them, but not enough to grow again. I tend to agree - while they definitely improved in flavor from being pickled, the store bought pepperoncinis are better in this case.

Yeah, that's why I want to grow them as well :)

ahayastani said:

Yeah, that's why I want to grow them as well :)

Yup, they are good, but in my case I don't think we'll be growing them again. Hopefully with the warmer weather down in Mexico yours turn out with a little bit of heat. It's part of the fun!

Well, finally a fully ripe Pepperoncini. 

pniM34l.jpg

We tried this one, and I must say I was surprised. The bitter, "green" flavor was no longer there. Instead, this pepper had a really sweet taste to it - definitely a step up from store-bought bell peppers. This is a redeeming quality, but still, I don't think I'll be growing them again.

HeatMiser said:
....definitely a step up from store-bought bell peppers. This is a redeeming quality, but still, I don't think I'll be growing them again.
I've been on/off the fence about growing this pepper for years. A "step up from store-bought bells" is NOT a ringing endorsement lol. Looks like I'm off the fence, at least for 2021. Thanks HM, I can use the extra space!

DownRiver said:
I've been on/off the fence about growing this pepper for years. A "step up from store-bought bells" is NOT a ringing endorsement lol. Looks like I'm off the fence, at least for 2021. Thanks HM, I can use the extra space!

Glad it helped!

I really wanted to like them, I really tried - picked them green, picked them as they were just turning red, picked them fully ripe and pickled a bunch. I'm still glad I grew them since we really like store-bought pickled pepperoncinis, but in this case, we'll stick with the store-bought ones.

Merry Christmas guys!

Just a quick update today...

After trying the pepperoncini earlier this week, I'll be chopping the plant down on the 31st. The Jalafuegos are now in maintenance mode - I'm just waiting for a few pods to ripen so that I can harvest the plants and move on. I need to make room for the 2021 grow I'll be starting on Jan 1st.  :party:

The focus of the grow is now the Lemon Drop and the two plants I have in the 1 gal kratkys

The Lemon Drop seems to definitely be digging the HLG100. It's turned into a monster (albeit not a very symmetrical one). 
R5gI1eF.jpg

Does anybody know how long the pods take to ripen? It's been about 7 weeks since the first pods set. I'm just trying to figure out the logistics of having plants at different stages of growth when I start the new grow. 

The Twilight and Mystery Pepper are growing more bushy. I expect some flowers in the next week or 2
BNP9dzV.jpg

Well, I got part of my question answered this morning. 

I was working under the Lemon Drop checking the nutrients. Then I look up and this is what I see:
AXAq3b7.jpg

They are starting to ripen now. Super excited for this, since there seems to be plenty of pods on that plant.

The Lemon Drop is an awesome pepper, HM!
They make a very flavorful powder with not a
lot of heat for your non-chilihead friends!

Happy New Year to you and your family!

PaulG said:
The Lemon Drop is an awesome pepper, HM!
They make a very flavorful powder with not a
lot of heat for your non-chilihead friends!

Happy New Year to you and your family!

Thanks Paul! Yes, I'm super excited for these to ripen. I already have plans to make fancy pepper flakes and powder with them. And if there's any left over, some hot sauce too! There are a few more turning yellow at this point.

Happy New Years y'all!

I got rid of the Pepperoncini plant yesterday to make some room to start the 2021 grow. This is what was left on the plant
KCmy6bb.jpg

For sake of completeness and full disclosure, I must say that two or three of the pods above were little zingers! there was a nice heat to them that lingers a bit in the tongue. Just about what you would expect from a Pepperoncini, which is perfect for snacking. This, paired with the sweetness of the ones that were ripening made up for a much better tasting pepper than what I had previously described. IMHO they should be picked ripe and not green.

Would I grow them again based on this discovery? No, given the fact that I had to go through a bunch of tasteless ones to get to a couple good-tasting peppers. 

That's it for today's update - stay tuned for the start of my 2021 grow. I'll keep updating both for a bit until I'm done with the plants I have currently growing, and then fully transition to the 2021 grow.

Mildfruit said:
I personally didn't like the taste of a raw lemon drop, way too baccatum soapy for me. However, as powder I really liked it and it looks really cool! It keeps the color really well when dried I think. Heres an old photo of mine from my first lemon drop powder. 

Thanks MF!

Yes, that's what I've been reading recently. Seems similar to what some people experience with cilantro. Some people love it, and some just can't stand it. Hopefully we will like the taste of them raw, but it is good to know that even if we don't, the flakes/powder will still taste good, which is what I plan to do with some of these peppers.

That powder looks really nice BTW. I've read that you have to dry them at a low temp in order to preserve the color of the peppers. Was this the case for you?

Mildfruit said:
I personally didn't like the taste of a raw lemon drop, way too baccatum soapy for me. However, as powder I really liked it and it looks really cool! It keeps the color really well when dried I think. Heres an old photo of mine from my first lemon drop powder. 
That's my take on it, too. Great powder.

HeatMiser said:

Thanks MF!

Yes, that's what I've been reading recently. Seems similar to what some people experience with cilantro. Some people love it, and some just can't stand it. Hopefully we will like the taste of them raw, but it is good to know that even if we don't, the flakes/powder will still taste good, which is what I plan to do with some of these peppers.

That powder looks really nice BTW. I've read that you have to dry them at a low temp in order to preserve the color of the peppers. Was this the case for you?
I try to dry my pods at 95-105 degrees
to preserve the color.

Bonus, the dried seeds are viable. 

Mildfruit said:

Absolutely agree MF. :thumbsup:

Now you watch, HM's gonna love em raw. :rofl:

Back