Hobby Sauce / Powders sold as if Commercial

I just listened to a rant on Youtube.  I am sure it is old news, but just using that instance as an example.  From what the rant said, there was a hobby sauce being sold as a commercial sauce.  The makers home was inspected for an unrelated issue; accusations of child abuse.  Per the rant, authorities found dead animals, poop, and disgusting living conditions.  The rant assumed that is where the sauce was being made and bottled.  No commercial kitchen.

Rant caused me to wonder: Is there any labeling requirement to list under what authority a food product was prepared?  Maybe a permit number?

Every state has different laws.  Not sure about other states, but in mine even if all you do is dry pods they are considered processed foods.  So all dried pods and powders require a commercial kitchen or other approved processing facility. 

Wife has an education in food services.  I was watching a video made by someone who sells dried pods and powders.  He was showing how his solar dehydrator works.  Wife said the thing was illegal for commercial use for a bunch of reasons.  It was made out of wood, the temperature could not be properly controlled, the thing was outside, and so on.  So have to wonder about dried pods, powders, salts and the likes too.

She is good for that.  Grossing me out.  Was once at a Renaissance Festival and bought a pretzel from a merchant who walked around with them on a stick.  She said it was illegal to sell food that was not covered.  I asked why.  She said birds could poop on the pretzels.  Then she told me about the cheese sauce the guy produced from his pocket.  If only she had mentioned these things before I spent five bucks.

Anyway, having no clue about labeling requirements: What should we look for to be safe?  Well, other than bird poop and pocket cheese?

Edmick said:
Aw man that's gross. My wife grew up in Taiwan and has some pretty bad horror stories too.

I lived in Korea for a little over a year. Some of the local markets get pretty sketchy.

A friend of mine would never eat off food trucks. Said cross contamination on these trucks happens all the time. Funny my favorite place to eat is a taco truck. 

My taco truck guy moved into the old dive shop he used to park in front of, he fixed it up really nice in there, never been sick off of his food and they speak English pretty good in there. Best tacos in town for sure

Walchit said:
My taco truck guy moved into the old dive shop he used to park in front of, he fixed it up really nice in there, never been sick off of his food and they speak English pretty good in there. Best tacos in town for sure
I've lived in southern California most my life and have eaten at some pretty sketchy places with amazing food and never had any problems but it wasn't til I moved to Sonoma in the heart of wine country for a couple years and ate at a "nice" sit down Mexican place that I got food poisoning. Go figure

Funny comments. Lol.

To the original question, there are no labeling requirements as to ac facility or licensing authority.

Sometimes, the label will say-
Made for xyz sauce company by ABC processing.

queso_kilt.png

Back