food Holiday Meals

So what are you cooking for Christmas Eve, Christmas Dinner, New Years?  Post 'em here if you want to.  

Myself, we usually have a ham and all kinds of munchies at my mom's Christmas Eve.  I make my own ham dinner on Christmas Day, then we always have Pork Roast w/ sauerkraut and mashed potatoes on New Years Day.

We don't do anything really special for Christmas Eve dinner, especially this year, we have to work. But every year on Christmas day we stay in our pJ's and make a boatload of finger foods and dips. The ultimate in indulgence. Chicken wings, Lumpia, spinach dip, hot artichoke jalapeño dip, pub cheese fondue, shrimp cocktail log... Among a few of the faves, and all home made.

snacks for Christmas eve and usually Prime Rib for Christmas day.  Hubby wants ham for Christmas dinner this year.  We're staying home for the first time in about 6 years, so we'll do something different.  Might have to get the prime rib for New Years...;)

teaser- Christmas Day dinner 2011

Christmas2011 041.JPG

Christmas day is a tradition to have baked stuffed lobster with seafood stuffing.  Whole foods is having there midnight madness sale again this year tomorrow night from 10pm-1am and they have there dry-aged prime-rib on sale for 50% off reg price. So I will grab two, one to roast after the holiday and one to cut into steaks for x-mas eve.  :cheers:

Last year's midnight madness dry-aged prime rib
primerib-Copy_zps6b724f08.jpg

And last year's baked stuffed lobster
026_zps9cb2e126.jpg

Chile-rubbed flank steaks for Christmas dinner. It's a recent tradition for us, I think this will be the 5th year, maybe. Only we're doing Christmas the day after, as my daughter won't be here until Thursday. So the real Christmas day will be a take-it-easy day. We traditionally play board games after dinner, so we'll probably do that a couple days in a row.

I just called my Whole Foods. They do not participate in midnight madness. In fact, they had no idea what I was asking about. 

Screw them.

Bah Humbug.

Fiddy please tell me that you will be making the traditional Cuban pork meal for Christmas.  We need a very merry SoFlo Christmas.

I just bought a massive bone-in rib roast. We will be having that will twice baked potatoes, Yorkshire pudding and fresh salad. I'll post some pictures once the meat comes out and is cut...might make an ajui to go with the already planned horseradish cream sauce. 

Happy holidays!

This is our Xmas Lunch Menu, for 21 people, boy oh boy do we all have a lot to do

Meats:

Roast Turkey
Full Pork Loin
Ham

Sides:

Roast Parsnip
Maple Roasted Pumpkin & Apple Skewers
Grilled Prosciutto wrapped Asparagus
Croutons Sausage Stuffing / Regular Stuffing baked in Baby Onions
Duchess Potatoes
Peas
Seafood platter (prawns/oysters/smoked salmon)
Christmas Skewers with Bocconcini, Basil, Cherry Tomatoes
Devilled Eggs

Home made gravy

Desserts:

Cherry Custard Tarts
Brandy Snaps
Xmas Pavlova

Mom cooks for the Holidays like no other!
Does Turkey And Ham mostly.
ALL THE GOODIES TO GO WITH IT.

ALSO cooks more deserts,cakes,cookies etc. that no Bakery could ever put out.

THEN she uses leftovers AND adds stuff so as soon as you have a TINY bit of room in your tummy,She is putting out more eats.

IF I make it to their place(get a ride),I'll be bringing my smoked Bacon for MOM to play with and maybe a Pastromi smoked Brisket.
Thinking Mom will make green beans with Bacon and Pastromi/turkey/ham sandwich tray as soon as she thinks we can eat more-ON homemade bread-a couple versions.

Mom cooks for all of us kids and the several Grandchildren.
She LOVES the more the merrier.
She IS a GREAT COOK.
EVERYTHING/most stuff is homemade-WITH LOVE!
Holidays are a TON of work for her,BUT DON"T get in her way!

Sparks fly off her knives in the Kitchen as she cooks.
She is in her Young 80's.

She makes stuff months ahead and freezes it if necessary(bread,rolls etc.).
MOM could give the cooking show guys and foodies a Lesson in GREAT EATS.

You leave my parents place fat and sassy with leftovers too.
Gotta bring an Igloo or? for the stuff you take home.
Top it off,a couple people these days are Squirrel food addicts (Vegan or whatever).
She pleases EVERYONE.

Can only give you what was being served after the fact.
Mom cooks everything. :)

My Mom did the dinners (Thanksgiving and Christmas) for (forever) and they always rocked.  When I was 10-14 years old, my oldest brother was in college and he would come home for the holidays and usually brought 1-4 tag-a-longs....kids who couldn't make it home for the holidays. 

My 2nd older brother did the same thing when he was in college.  When I was older and dating a Navy dude, we always seemed to have Extras for join us for holiday dinners.  Mom never complained and I always knew I could invite anyone to join us and they would be welcome and well-fed.  Just a little bit of home for guys and gals who couldn't make it home for the holidays.

I remember one time- my girlfriend (she was probably 22 y/o) came over on Wednesday before Thanksgiving.  Mom was making homemade rolls and my girlfriend (Total city slicker and non-cooker) was completely blown away to find out rolls don't always come out of a package!  :eek: The rolls were proofing on the stove using the heat of the oven from the pies baking.  She was... like..."OMG!  You make your rolls from scratch?!?!??? "

Love it~

You see my posts point.

It isn't WHAT they cook as much as the reason MOM cooked it.
Family trips and the LOVE involved.

I've taken friends to their place at different times(not only Holidays) and MOM always was great with the eats.

Love and the art of cooking combine.

One example would be I called my parents and told them me and his family wanted to come to visit one day.
I told Mom there would be 2 adults and a young child/girl.
Mom cooked Spaghetti because she knew kids love it,but she didn't break the noodles down so the kid could get a face full of sauce and she could enjoy the kid learn how to suck spaghetti up.
Kid was used to cut up canned stuff or whatever.

Moms sauce was better and the kid was covered in sauce by the end of the meal.
The kid,insisted on sucking up the Spaghetti rather than having her Mom cut it up first,once she figured things out.
Mom had fun and the girl had fun too.So did Judy and Bob.

I'm sure your MOM is as GREAT AS MINE.

Well,almost,Mine will always be better... LOL
She loves me...I'm prejudice.

Sounds like YOUR MOM would be very good friends with mine.

We ARE very Lucky to have Mom's like ours.
Hope your Mom lives forever.as I do mine does.

Have a GREAT Holiday!

well, my Mom makes better punkin pie than your mom!   :razz: 

Just kidding~  :)

it's all good and understood.  I've been cooking away from home for the past several years.  It'll be nice to cook at home for the 'Kid.  He has packages under the tree and we caught him shaking and squeezing them last night.  I never realized that he didn't have that aspect when we were away and at the relatives' homes.

tamales.. green and red.. chicken and pork... with fresh pico de gallo made with fresh manzano peppers and a few of my sauces on the side.., in addition rice  and refried beans with fresh hand made tortillas.. for dessert  she wants to try fried icecream..

Back