• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Holly~tone for acid loving plants

Has any body used Espoma's "Holly~tone for acid loving plants" ? My plants are in desperate need for calcium, I mistakenly thought that bone mill was a calcium supplement 2 weeks ago. I am going to toast crushed egg shells until black and soak in vinegar for 2 weeks but want something right away. I went to the local DYS store and asked for dolomite lime and this is what they gave me. Have any of you tried this?

Y7JM1l.jpg
vpiOD.jpg

Never tried it or heard of it for that matter. It looks like it has a good supply of calcium in it though. Does it dissolve in water or is it a topical application?

yep, peppers are acid loving. not super acidic. 6.5-6.8 pH from what i've read is optimal. but 7 is pretty darn good which is neutral. (soil)

would recommend you look into Tomato Tone instead.

For one thing, Tomato Tone is made for tomato/pepper type plants. In fact you could easily use tomato tone and nothing else (I have done so) and everything would grow just fine - it's well-balanced for the needs of nightshades specifically.

For another, Tomato tone is 5 % calcium to Holly Tone's 3 %. So if it's calcium you seek, tomato tone has more of it, 66 % more to be exact.

more info: http://www.espoma.com/p_consumer/tones_tomato.html

I don't consider peppers acid loving. Those are usually plants that like the ph at around 5 or so. Peppers are like it more along the lines of 6 -7. Slightly acidic, but not along the same lines as azaleas and such.

I like the Espoma products, but have never used that one. I imagine it has some extra sulfer in it for the acid loving plants, but should work ok for peppers. I usually use the Tomato Tone for my tomatoes and peppers both.

jacob

I bought Espoma domomite lime from Lowes. I mixed one tbl to a gal of water. It completely disolved and watered each of my plants yesterday. Some of my plants have a couple of yellow leaves and the dolomite lime has both calcium and magnesium. I also ordered Chile Focus but have not rec'd it yet.

mega said:
would recommend you look into Tomato Tone instead.

For one thing, Tomato Tone is made for tomato/pepper type plants. In fact you could easily use tomato tone and nothing else (I have done so) and everything would grow just fine - it's well-balanced for the needs of nightshades specifically.

For another, Tomato tone is 5 % calcium to Holly Tone's 3 %. So if it's calcium you seek, tomato tone has more of it, 66 % more to be exact.

more info: http://www.espoma.com/p_consumer/tones_tomato.html

Awesome thank you so much! That's exactly why I posted on here. I'll pick some up tomorrow. I am getting some pro mix next week to pot up in I'll be sure to mix some in.

Blister said:
Never tried it or heard of it for that matter. It looks like it has a good supply of calcium in it though. Does it dissolve in water or is it a topical application?

its for topical or mixing with the soil, I tried to dissolve some in water however there was still quite a bit at the bottom.

chilehead70301 said:
I bought Espoma domomite lime from Lowes. I mixed one tbl to a gal of water. It completely disolved and watered each of my plants yesterday. Some of my plants have a couple of yellow leaves and the dolomite lime has both calcium and magnesium. I also ordered Chile Focus but have not rec'd it yet.

You will have to keep us updated once you get the chili focus, I've been keeping an eye on the experiment to see if halo post some more pics and if it makes a big difference.
http://www.thehotpepper.com/showthread.php?18229-Chile-Focus!-The-Experiment!&highlight=Chile+Focus

I've been waiting for him to post an update, but nothing. I figured for $12, I'll give it a try as it says you can foliar feed the plants weekly or every day with a diluted solution.

Back