• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Homemade worm farm

How do you guys control all the flies that accumulate in the bin? Am I doing something wrong because there are a bunch of flies and bugs in bin?

Same thing happend to me a week or so ago

I cleaned some of the excess food out and let it dry out just a bit then i put about an inch or two of dirt with some carrots(because the carrots dont mold) over everything. They seemed to all go away. No more flies or other bugs that i can see. Just worms and some gnats.

the flies/ gnats shouldnt be able to reach the food. I think you must have something going wrong here. the worms require a beddding ( too poop/and multiply in) this bedding should be partially moist. then there is a layer that you would feed them on top of that. and finally I have a layer of dry bedding on the top. for some people its shredded newspaper, Coco Coir, you name it. this top layer keeps all the flies out. the food is 3 inches or more down, and there is no way the flies can get to it. as well as the top layer is dry so the fungus gnats wont lay eggs in it. always maintain a thick layer of bedding on top of the food, and you should see your fly problem nearly vanish. I still see the occasional fruit fly. but rarely

when i feed, i just peel up the layer of dry bedding on whichever side i didnt feed on last, feed em, and cover them back up with dry bedding. I also keep a thin slice of cardboard on the very top to mark where i fed last and in which direction im feeding in

hope some of that is useful cheers.

the flies/ gnats shouldnt be able to reach the food. I think you must have something going wrong here. the worms require a beddding ( too poop/and multiply in) this bedding should be partially moist. then there is a layer that you would feed them on top of that. and finally I have a layer of dry bedding on the top. for some people its shredded newspaper, Coco Coir, you name it. this top layer keeps all the flies out. the food is 3 inches or more down, and there is no way the flies can get to it. as well as the top layer is dry so the fungus gnats wont lay eggs in it. always maintain a thick layer of bedding on top of the food, and you should see your fly problem nearly vanish. I still see the occasional fruit fly. but rarely

when i feed, i just peel up the layer of dry bedding on whichever side i didnt feed on last, feed em, and cover them back up with dry bedding. I also keep a thin slice of cardboard on the very top to mark where i fed last and in which direction im feeding in

hope some of that is useful cheers.

I had food mixed through out. But ive fixed all my problems in mine. Doing really good now and always seeing a ton of baby worms

There are two types of Castings Teas: extracted and aerobically brewed.  In the extraction method, water is run through the earthworm castings to simply extract the microbes from the castings into the water. so as long as you are running clean water through your worm farm and your farm doest smell bad...then the worm juice is fine to use.

So ive had my bin setting for about a week without worm(as i heard it helps) and i went to move it into my house because it was getting to hot in my greenhouse(up to 95F) and i looked inside and the plants from last year that i put in are all very moldy. I looked through to see if the food scraps were the same but couldnt find them( didnt really dig that deep) is this mold ok to put the worms into? Or is this not normal. Could it be cause it was getting so hot?
I went ahead and put it back outside but not in the geeenhouse
I was talking on the phone to a guy who raises worms on a commercial scale and he told me to my surprise that the worms actually feed on the Mold and Fungus and that is what they eat as there food breaks down.

I was talking on the phone to a guy who raises worms on a commercial scale and he told me to my surprise that the worms actually feed on the Mold and Fungus and that is what they eat as there food breaks down.

I think ive heard they rely on bacteria, mold, fungus to break all the food down before they eat it

Worm castings are the best nutrient you can give a plant....period! Toxic? Where do people come up with this stuff?

Beautiful plants you have there Novacastrian. :cool:

Back