hospital mask IPA keg disaster :_(

so i left my CO2 regulator and picknick tap attached to my 5 gal soda keg of aptly named simcoe hopped "hospital mask IPA" (name courtesy of iggy) overnight. the next day when i returned for some simcoe necter goodness, the CO2 canister, and the keg were empty :_(. keg was about 2/3 full, and i had the 5 lb. CO2 tank for over a year. the regulator was set to ~4 psi, and was attached to another keg (via a line splitting device) as well; though i don't think there was a picknick tap on that one. point being, the other keg was fine, and there is a blood trail of IPA on the floor outside my kegerator going to the drain in my basement sink; not to mention the messy yeasty sediment all over the inside of the kegerator. has ANYBODY ever experienced this before?! If so, what happened?! somewhat complicated to describe, but the picknick tap was hung on a wire rack shelf above the keg in the fridge...i'll try to get a pic up. any ideas? or should i just not leave stuff connected like that?! ha.

Normally you should have been fine but not with that style tap. If its one of those small plastic squeeze doodads hooked to a line, that would be the weak link in the system. I too shall mourn your loss by doing a shot of tequila to mark this sad sad day. Alas....I have no homebrew at this time.

Amen, TB.

after performing an operability assessment, i have determined that the Apparent Cause of the event was mispositioning of the picnick tap on the wire shelf. the closed door most likely applied enough force to open the picknick tap, and spew forth its contents.

Fr0tran said:
after performing an operability assessment, i have determined that the Apparent Cause of the event was mispositioning of the picnick tap on the wire shelf. the closed door most likely applied enough force to open the picknick tap, and spew forth its contents.

And after I performed a review of last night I've come to the conclusion that we must play some more pool.

Back