• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Hostas

I've just gotten the bug to grow hostas. Although, I know very litte about them.

I'm wondering if I should grow from seed or buy?

Overall tips about growing and/or picking them out.

Buy first,seed later maybe. Hubby got hooked on hostas and now has a flourishing shade garden under the tree next to the garden. The variety of hostas is amazing and like peppers you always find another one you have to have. They can get huge too, as in about 3-4' across, beautiful and easy to maintain. You will like them.

Hey if you are in a deer area-----they luv em!Put powdered peppers on them big time.1 bite and they learn pretty quick.Best of luck.Rich

They are like tribbles. You can seperate them every year and they will double by the next year.

SWMBO is nursing a wound, and so had to order me (again) to move her stupid hostas around.....

I don't really mind. To my knowledge, they can tolerate full sun, but will really flourish in part shade.

I read conflicting stuff about them spreading. Do I have to worry about them if I plant them next to other things?

They don't spread, they just push up new ones right in the same spot, making them "bigger". Most hostas are actually clusters of hostas.

Left alone they will appear to be bigger year after year, but there will, in fact, just be more of them squished into approximately the same space.

They like shade and that's why I don't grow them - diametrically opposed to pepper/tomato growing. I simply don't have enough shady area to grow.......

Back