• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Hot cherry pepper but hotter

Aji Cereza looks the most promising. Cereza is Spanish for cherry, so it's like a cherry pepper, and the shu is up to 80,000. Much better than around 2,000. :)

Now, I need to find out if it's thick walled, and where I can get seeds and I'm good.

Cobanero is on par with the absolute mildest hab I've ever had, but I would not consider them quite hab strenght. Hotter than a serrano on average, but a good bit below a hab.

The bod'e is hotter than a jalapeno, but I like them sliced on salads and such.

Thanks. Are they as thick walled as a cherry?

The bod'e is very thick, cobaneros less so, but probably similar to the cherry. I haven never grown cobaneros, just tried them once so I'm trying to remember.

AJI CEREZA - hot; 0.75 to 1 inches long by 0.5 to 0.75 inches wide; medium thin flesh; :(
Source

I feel like we're narrowing it down... the search continues, thanks for the help.

Let's say really thick walled, and hot, but does not have to be as round as a cherry (though preferred), just not long, narrow, and pointed, or larger than a golf ball.

thehotpepper.com said:
AJI CEREZA - hot; 0.75 to 1 inches long by 0.5 to 0.75 inches wide; medium thin flesh; :(
Source

I feel like we're narrowing it down... the search continues, thanks for the help.

Let's say really thick walled, and hot, but does not have to be as round as a cherry (though preferred), just not long, narrow, and pointed, or larger than a golf ball.

Or you can try the Aji Cereza from Peppermania. It's larger and thicker, same taste as a cherry pepper but much hotter.

http://www.peppermania.com/annuum_seeds_0.html

Aji Cereza; C. annuum; Peru

A heavy cherry-type chile from Peru (Cereza translates to "cherry". Hot 8, thick flesh and fruity. Approx 1- 1.5". Green pods ripen to a robust red.

That description sounds perfect. I wonder which description is correct.

Thanks. This seems like the the pepper for what I want.

Thanks everyone for the help. I'll be checking these out for pickling. Maybe stuff some with bleu cheese too ooohhhhhh.

thehotpepper.com said:
A possibility. Very thick walled and round (or bell?), decent heat. A little bigger than I want, but maybe... thanks! Got a pic sliced open?

I can do that with my nagas sure. I want to try a new sandwich pepper though not infuse a cherry.

Same shape, but don't know if they are thick walled. You say "fairly".

Any more? The thicker the wall the better, so when you slice it, there is a lot of flesh and little space in the center. Dense is a good word. And hot!!!

my friend gave me one from slovakia and it looked like a cherry it was thick walled i will find out how to source them>:-))

Thanks but that place is notorious for sending bad seeds.

Also you can't tell if it's dense by a pic unless it's cut open.

How about Baccio di Satana (aka Ciliegia Picante, Satan's Kiss). I haven't grown it, but it looks like it might have possibilities.

http://www.growitalian.com/Qstore/Qstore.cgi?CMD=011&PROD=000080

Another option might be Picante Calabrese, which I did grow last year. Some say it's aka Baccio di Satana, but I have my doubts. Piccies I've seen of BdS show pendant fruit, my Picante Calabrese fruit was upright. It is thick walled with a large seed head. It's got some heat, but you won't be reaching for the mlik or anything. It is great for stuffing tho. No pic of the inside, but I might have some in the freezer, if you want me to look.

Picante Calabrese (Sorry, no scale. About 1.25 - 1.75 inches in dia)
PicanteCalabrese.jpg

Thanks, but I'm going with Aji Cereza, bjs2006 is sending me some seeds. :D

I don't have a lot of grow room, so this will be it for the cherry type I seek.

thehotpepper.com said:
Also you can't tell if it's dense by a pic unless it's cut open.

Lucky you were talking about peppers and not humans there boss, i would have been forced to disagree! :D

Back