food Hot Chicken curry

I love making curries. I use the packets I buy from a semi local Indian market, as well as Indian dried chilis and today I am actually going to add some fresh hot peppers - habs.

The one with the small meat bits is a meat curry - the larger bits one is a chicken curry.

I have to watch how hot I make it when my kid is going to be eating it but today I am making one just for me and it's going to have as many hot peppers as I can stuff into the thing.

n1295367878_248815_1679.jpg

n1295367878_248814_457.jpg

n1295367878_248805_4420.jpg

n1295367878_248813_9251.jpg

skealo said:
Looks Great!

Would you mind giving a loose recipe please?

Throw some butter or oil in a pot, heat it, then throw in some chopped up onion. If you are doing the large amount I made a half or whole onion, less for a lesser amount. You cook the onion until they become translucent and a bit brown ONLY on the edges. While you are waiting for the onions to get there, it doesn't hurt to throw in a clove of chopped or crushed garlic. If you can get ginger paste throw a teaspoon of that in as well. If not the powdered stuff will do.

when the onions get there throw in 1-2 chopped round tomatoes or 4 of the smaller oval ones. Once those cook down a bit throw in the chicken. You can either use diced chicken meat or throw in whole peices. Just makes sure whatever you throw in will be covered by the sauce. Cokk the chicken a bit on both sides until no more pink, then throw in about a glass of water. The glass I use is about 2 cups worth. Turn up the heat so that gets near boiling.

Now, you have to have Indian spices. I have an Indian market near enough to me, and I live in an area that has a high number of immigrants of every stripe. If you can't get the spices or spice packets, you can get them online. I use Shan packets for chicken and other curries. These come in boxes with a bag inside, imported from Pakistan. They have a mix of all the needed spices AND the hot chili powder too. I add peppers for more heat but I'm a sicko. ;-) I also have extra turmeric and a can of loose curry powder, because I like it strong.

Throw in the spice packet or curry powder mix (or grind your own spices if you can - you can Google the spices that go into curry).

Mix it all up. I also throw in several dried Indian red chilis - mostly the Byadagi or Sanam variety. These reconstitute with all the liquid. I also cut up habaneros or whatever else I have.

Cook that up like a stew with the cover on for a good hour. Make sure it isn't on too high. Once boiling you can simmer the heat and it will do a light boil for the entire time.

Once it's done, you got curry.

Yo can also go on YouTube and see how the real Indians do it. This works for me.

This photo here is a meat masala - but that is the brand of spice that I am talking about which I use and like very much. The indian guys at work tell me that their wives crush and make their own curry spice combination, but use that stuff when in a hurry. One of these days I am going to get the fresh spices and do it myself.

IMG_0794.jpg

you got me experimenting with curry seasoning man. even went to the Indian market here (2 actually) and bought some supplies.

I just have to be careful. Something in Indian food isn't good for my body. Dang.

fineexampl said:
you got me experimenting with curry seasoning man. even went to the Indian market here (2 actually) and bought some supplies.

I just have to be careful. Something in Indian food isn't good for my body. Dang.

Yeah man Edison is like New New Delhi.

Back