food HOT Chili Meat Pie

I want to say that I have been really REALLY busy lately and haven't had much time to post. But, I want to let all of you know that I have missed you and that I have still been getting my daily dose of the BURN.

Here is a creation that I am in the process of whipping up (with Pictures this time :lol:) This is my variation of Shepherds Pie or rather a Hot & Spicy Chili pepper meat pie. So far, I am in love with this dish, but have only tasted the meat and chili combination as I'm still waiting for the potatoes to cook.

1/2 lb of sausage
1/2 lb of ground beef
1 large sweet onion
1 large Red Savina Hab
3 reg. Chocolate Habs
3-4 teaspoons of minced garlic
several pinches of ground Savory (or to taste)
Several pinches of ground black pepper (or to taste)
mashed potatoes
1/2 bag of frozen peas
1 can of sweet corn
a touch of beef broth

HERE'S WHAT I DID...
Brown the meat, onion, garlic and peppers until done. Add the peas and corn and cook on low until the peas are thawed. Next put the mixture in the bottom of a baking dish and cover with a layer of mashed potatoes (approximately 1 inch thick). Bake in oven at 350 until the mashed potatoes begin to brown. Then enjoy :)

Here are some of the ingredients
DSCF2932.jpg

Here is the meat mixture
DSCF2933.jpg

Here it is in the oven...I sure wish I could speed this up. BTW, mine is on the right. My wife's is on the left, without onions or peppers. I know...she's weird, but I still lover her...LOL After 12 years of marriage, I've gotten use to cooking 2 dinners. :P

DSCF2934.jpg

The finished product
DSCF2935.jpg

WOW!!! If I may say so myself, that turned out incredible. It had a very nice flavor and everything combined wonderfully. The burn was exquisite and lasted a good 15 minutes after finishing the meal. I really don't think that You'll need any hot sauce if you try this recipe. However, next time I'm going to try making the meat filling with some sort of thick gravy. I also think that I will be trying this in a pie crust with the gravy idea, sort of like chicken pot pie.

WOW! That looks really tasty!

Pepperfreak said:
I really don't think that You'll need any hot sauce if you try this recipe.
Looks at recipe....
"1 large Red Savina Hab
3 reg. Chocolate Habs"

Ya....I'm going to have to triple that.... :hell:

Okay, you got me there IGG. I guess I should amend the recipe to read: Add Amount of peppers to taste :lol:

I came home from work this morning and decided that I'd try this pie as a breakfast dish. This time I flipped it so that the mashed potatoes was on the bottom and covered the meat mixture with cheese then topped with 3 over easy eggs. It turned out, I really love meals that are good and versatile.

This looks awesome. I would have called it a Shepherd's Pie, though. Meat Pie has a crust, like phyllo dough. At least, around here. And you can typically only find it at Greek delis...

klyth said:
I would have called it a Shepherd's Pie, though.

Do you mean Cottage Pie? I thought Shepherds pie was made with lamb and Cottage Pie with beef ;) You know Shepherd= sheep and Cottage= oh never mind.

rainbowberry said:
Do you mean Cottage Pie? I thought Shepherds pie was made with lamb and Cottage Pie with beef ;) You know Shepherd= sheep and Cottage= oh never mind.

You are right RB...That is why I told IGG that he could use ground mutton (lamb). I have just always called this Shepherds pie cause I didn't know about cottage pie.

Pepperfreak said:
IGG, you can always make this with the original meat preference of ground mutton, since I know how you feel about cows and all.

rainbowberry said:

Cottage = house in my mind so cottage = beef doesnt make any sense to me.:lol:

rainbowberry said:
Hmmm I was trying to make a link but it didn't work did it.

That was funny how you figured that out midpost.:lol:

Whatever it's called that pie is good! I made on similar to that not long ago. Though I added green beans and carrots and omitted the peas.

Back