• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pics Hot Paper Lantern, Tobago Seasoning, Red Habs, Black Pearl Pics

A few pod pics and plant pics just to get them down here. I know there is some disagreements as to the size shape color of what tobago seasoning look like. This is my plant, seeds were from pepperlover. These are phone pics so they aren't the best but they get the job done.

Top is the Red Hab, middle is the Paper Lantern, and bottom is the Tobago Seasoning:

Peppers by JB464, on Flickr

Red Hab Pod:

Red Habs by JB464, on Flickr

Paper Lantern Pod:

Hot Paper Lantern by JB464, on Flickr

Tobago Seasoning Pod:

Tobago Seasoning by JB464, on Flickr

And the Black Pearl which I gave to my father. This plant is prolific. The rest of my pepper plants had trouble this year early on, they are only catching on within the past few weeks. The black pearls were never slow.

Black Pearl by JB464, on Flickr

Yep, those look good.......there are so many variants with the red hab. The main think is that your plant is prolific and you enjoy the taste.
I partically like the Caribbean Red. It doesn't have the funky twisty shape that some people thrive for, it's actually boring looking. The plant produces heaps of identical looking pods and its by far one of my favorite sauce making chili's!

Good luck with the rest of your grow

Greg

As far as the Caribbean red looks goes, it looks like the ones originally sold as such then latter sold as Red Savina by several vendors looking for increased sales.
I think that a lot of the Caribbean reds sold are really Antillais(SP?) Caribbean Habaneros.
Which are different.More long and wrinkled...

In my opinion all your plants look great and what they are supposed to be.

I see a lot of Black podded and purple plants sold as Black pearl.
They don't have the round pod and aren't really black pearls.

Nice looking grow you have going.

I also think Paper Lantern has been way under appreciated in general.
Depending on your seed stock , they have an excellent taste and some can get pretty darn hot.
Close or hotter than Red Savina way back when.
A very neglected variety in my opinion.

As a side note I've seen several GREAT crosses with them before super hot mania took place.
SOME Paper Lantern strains were VERY Hot.

Thanks guys.

The habanero actually came from a nursery so I wasn't expecting anything specifc. My brother bought a plant from the same nursery that said carribean red on it, and stated a higher scoville rating than the one I bought, which simply says habanero. now that they have both produced pods, they are definitley different, His look more pumkin shaped, as opposed to the ones pictured that look more like a traditional hab imo.

The only one I was referencing when I mentioned pod shape, size, color, heat, etc. was the tobago seasoning. I searched for them over the internet and got many different looking peppers (including the one tested by the hippy seed company). These look similar to the paper lantern which is suprising. I am hoping for something on the mild side so I can make a dish with the chinense fruitiness with much less heat.

As for the paper lantern I think it is one of the best looking pods, and the plants I have seen look amazing with all the pods on it (it's produces a lot). This one is exactly what I was expecting. I am most excited to try these for some reason.

I also have some thai chiles (not pictured) that are fantastic. Completely different and much more interesting taste than any of the other annuums that I have grown, and great heat and production. (though they grow like frutescens, maybe they are?)

Back