• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Hot Pepper Companion Planting plants

Anyone do this or even believe it works ??

Here's a link I found for Companion Planting...interesting

http://www.ghorganics.com/page2.html

And here's what it says about plants for Hot Pepper companion planting.

PEPPERS, HOT: Chili peppers have root exudates that prevent root rot and other Fusarium diseases. Plant anywhere you have these problems. While you should always plant chili peppers close together, providing shelter from the sun with other plants will help keep them from drying out and provide more humidity. Tomato plants, green peppers, and okra are good protection for them. Teas made from hot peppers can be useful as insect sprays. Hot peppers like to be grouped with cucumbers, eggplant, escarole, tomato, okra, Swiss chard and squash. Herbs to plant near them include: basils, oregano, parsley and rosemary. Never put them next to any beans, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts or fennel.

I do it..
I plant peppers in containers, therefore the rest of the companions are spread throughout the garden in containers as well as raised beds.
This year I used:
Spearmint
Basil
Onions/chives
and the king of companion plants...
Marigold

Marigolds are the best, got 100 growing right now......welcome to Texas.

Marigolds...I actually think these are the mostest ugliest flowering plants there are, BUT..every year I buy a 6 pack of them at the local nursery and plant them in pots and place them thru out my cactus and vegetable plants, thinking they will control the bugs.

Guess I'm a believer !!!

I'm a huge fan of companion planting!
With no real green thumb, I need all the help I can get! haha

I always plant cilantro with my peppers/tomatoes.
And dill with anything from the cabbage family.

Marigolds are a must, even if they aren't my favorite flower. Sooooo beneficial in the garden....and they keep the deer at bay!

Companion planting works! A biologist friend of mine turned me on to it a few years back. It is an important component in "bio intensive" agriculture.
I am fairly certain that this has been discussed here before, but for those interested, read up on Alan Chadwick and bio intensive gardens/agriculture.
Some of the info may be obvious but the double digging and companion planting are at the heart of the method.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biointensive_agriculture

Cheers!
Chris

Cool stuff Alpha! I'm so burned out with gardening right now - all that's left is to pull up the daed/frozen plants and move indoors for the next 5 months! But, I bookmarked it for next February...the "planning" month!!!!!!! :)

I hear y'all, really I do. But I bought into the marigold thing a number of years ago, and meh. Let me say it again: MEH. If they did anything other than take up ground space, you got me fooled. I was in Texas at the time, in Houston - not sure if that made a diff or not. Haven't used them since.

I throw some on the one edge of my garden, but they are just a type my neighbor had/grown for years.

This might sound stupid, does it matter what type of marigold you grow?

I grow Pot marigolds (Calendula) for medicinal purposes, but for pest deterrent purposes I use Common marigold (Tagetes) and French marigold (Tagetes patula). The frenchies have a prettier, more vibrant color palette! hahaha :)

Yes yes yes to herbs in/around the garden!!!!!

You can find tons of info online, but I've found that planting the herbs you'd likely use to cook those veggies with is a great guide.
Herbs can get invasive (growing fast & large, self sowing, etc), so plant the ones you like/use, and plan on harvesting them often.

I use them in the garden for better yield, but I also plant them around the perimeter - my deer hate the herbs, and it keeps them moving along...

Companion planting is good but I take issue with some of the linked text. In only certain grow zones and/or seasons should you plant peppers so close together that they're shading each other. If there is no excessive sun to the point of withering or burning, peppers should shade each other the least amount possible, instead making a sort of canopy that catches all the sun, but of course you need rows you can walk through to tend to them which are best placed running north to south to improve sun exposure.

(Healthy) tomato and okra plants grow far too tall to be around pepper plants, and tomatoes tend to attract bugs especially worms, white flies, even birds. Above I mentioned certain grow zones... certainly if your area gets too hot, a bit of shade especially from afternoon to evening will help and okra will do that quite well, though it also attracts ants and some types of leaf eating bugs like japanese beetles and grasshopppers but they will prefer and eat the okra leaves far more than pepper leaves when they have the choice.

As far as crop repellants, I have decided that bugs don't like salsa at all. Plant some cilantro, basil, onions, garlic, etc. Basically anything with a strong taste or smell will deter some types of insects. I find aphids to be the biggest threat to my peppers when they're young, here are some aphid repellents - http://www.gardenguides.com/117315-aphid-repellent-plants.html

It kinda bugs me when I feel compelled to respond to every freakin' post in a thread......

So I'm not gonna! :)

(but I really like what Dave posted....hahahahaha!!!!!)

K, I'll shut up now..... ;)

I'm planning on planting basil and cilantro with my hot peppers for my first attempt at growing outside. They are supposed to keep away aphids and some other pests, and basil is supposed to help with the flavor too. I'm not sure exactly what effect the basil I have will do, as it's osmin basil, not normal... but the cilantro is a pretty normal variant .

From the linked site:
PEPPERS, HOT: Chili peppers have root exudates that prevent root rot and other Fusarium diseases. Plant anywhere you have these problems. While you should always plant chili peppers close together, providing shelter from the sun with other plants will help keep them from drying out and provide more humidity. Tomato plants, green peppers, and okra are good protection for them. Teas made from hot peppers can be useful as insect sprays. Hot peppers like to be grouped with cucumbers, eggplant, escarole, tomato, okra, Swiss chard and squash. Herbs to plant near them include: basils, oregano, parsley and rosemary. Never put them next to any beans, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts or fennel.

Back