• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Hot Pepper Wine

A local company here makes a "Hot Pepper Wine".  I considered buying some, but I'm not particularly fond of wine, and my wife isn't that fond of hot peppers. 

My question is, has anyone out there seen or tried this?  I'd be willing to try it if I thought it might be good.  Maybe just for cooking?

Any thoughts?

I would definitely love to give it a try. I drink wine for a lot of different t reasons. Mostly health reasons. Why not add the beneficial capsaicin. I say try it. If not good then use for cooking like you said. I like to put wine in chili but my wife doesn't.

While I like both separately I do not think I would like it together.....  Id give it a try though, but I would not drink much I have a feeling I could get killer heartburn and or a killer hangover.  Those results are both things I do not want  :(

I was at a winery in Northern Pennsylvania a few weeks ago buying up bottles to take to our cabin for the weekend. They had a bottle of hot pepper ice wine that was over $40 for a half-sized bottle. I wasn't that eager to try a Thai Dragon-infused ice wine...not for that price.

ms1476 said:
I was at a winery in Northern Pennsylvania a few weeks ago buying up bottles to take to our cabin for the weekend. They had a bottle of hot pepper ice wine that was over $40 for a half-sized bottle. I wasn't that eager to try a Thai Dragon-infused ice wine...not for that price.

The price did seem steep on this one too, although it had a cool fancy bottle.  But for whatever the price was (I don't remember)  Someone in my house had better drink it or find a good use for it.

Wow, Interesting that this got posted. I thought about that very same thing last week and wondered about its feasability. Wine can be made of almost anything you can grow and why not a fine cache of pods? Although I have yet to experience a reaper, from all the reveiws I have sean, the sweet fruity flavor would be an asset to a wine.

It might make sense. Ice wine is considered a dessert wine, and is usually very sweet by wine standards. If you have had chocolate infused with pepper powder, it is quite good. You taste the chocolate first followed by the burn. I would think you would need to pick the right pepper though. It would need a fruity taste to compliment the wine.

Okay. Scored pepper wine at a wine festival yesterday. I sampled several wineries' pepper wine and settled on Greenhouse Winery's Red Hot Diamond. It was in a larger bottle, was cheaper, and tasted better than the others that were available. It seems to be an ice wine (extra sweet) with either a large thai variety or cayenne in it. Sweet in the mouth and then a warm tingle from mouth to stomach after swallowing. It was worth the price to be able to say I tried it. $25 for 500ml bottle.

I love wine. It soothes the sole. If I can't find pepper wine then I am going to drop some of Joyner's Mystery Wine powder in some good cabernet. It will definitely be an experiment.

Every pepper wine I have seen thus far used ice wine (super sweet but super expensive) to balance the medium heat from a thin-walled thai or cayenne. I figured that if a hotter pepper was used, it would get so hot that it would overpower the sweetness of the wine. A winery probably would not want to use a pepper that makes the wine hotter as it sits longer. It would have to be consistent from one bottle to the next, making a medium-heat, thin walled pepper favorable. I would imagine that any medium-heat thin walled pepper a good candidate.

ms1476 said:
Every pepper wine I have seen thus far used ice wine (super sweet but super expensive) to balance the medium heat from a thin-walled thai or cayenne. I figured that if a hotter pepper was used, it would get so hot that it would overpower the sweetness of the wine. A winery probably would not want to use a pepper that makes the wine hotter as it sits longer. It would have to be consistent from one bottle to the next, making a medium-heat, thin walled pepper favorable. I would imagine that any medium-heat thin walled pepper a good candidate.
I  still think that a nice wine could be produced with one of the extra sweet super hot peppers. One thing is certain though. you wouldnt have to worry about serving it at a dinner party and having one of your guests guzzle it. Unfortunately, I will not have either enough super hots this year or time to put toward a project like that. I will be lucky if I can even get any hot sauce made.

My wife made mention that if one was to use a cheap sweet wine (like Boones Farm Apple Wine) that has a screw-on cap (rather than a cork), a really hot chili could be added a few hours prior to consumption, making a light infusion without the wine going bad. The hotter chili would lightly infuse the short-term wine making the same effect as the long-term, medium chili infusion that the fancier brands produce. If you have never tried Boones Farm Apple Wine, you must. It is super sweet, super cheap, and super easy to find.

Short stroy in fotos including 3 Bhut Jolokia Chocolate, 2 Habaneros and a hand full of Siberian Peppers:

13671637hs.jpg

13671638ia.jpg

13671639zp.jpg

13671641jr.jpg

13671642wn.jpg

Liebe Grüße
Adrian

This is a little off topic, but I've been putting peppers in Corona's for years. A slice of hab, maybe a slice of Cayenne for flavor, then add a lime slice to hold it all in. Clean out the seeds before you add them to the beer though, the seeds seem to make the beer bitter at the end.

Hmmm... not a wine drinker myself, but pepper in beer? Once again Gentlemen, you have me thinking.... Thanks. Not sure how, but it's gonna end up costing me money.

VR,
Harold

Back