• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Hot Peppers For 2012

New member from Indiana. I have my own farm, so space is not an issue for me here. Got a few questions for anyone who would like to answer. I start all my plants from seeds.

I grew Anaheim last year for the first time and got no heat from them. It was a strange year to say the least here. Don't think I will grow them again. Does anyone have any thoughts on this pepper?

I love growing the Super Chili. I like to take one and chop it up into an omelette. They also go well in garlic dills. Thinking about trying these in a container this year since I heard they can be brought indoors in late fall.

The big thick Cayenne peppers are a staple in the garden. Made jelly out of these last year and it was gorgeous and tasty. Usually string these up in the fall as well.

Jalapeno are always in the garden and used for almost anything I cook. They team up well with the Nardello sweet pepper in my fajitas.

Serrano Tam last year produced well. Grew them for the first time as a free sample pack of seeds and loved them. I tried to roast them and that didn't turn out so well. Makes a nice jelly and pickles good.

Habanero Orange I grow mainly just for jelly and making chili.

I haven't grown Hungarian hots in a long time, but I think I will put those out this year.

Grew Cajun Bell for the first time last year and they were much hotter than advertised. I thought they were just as hot as the cayenne and way hotter than the serrano. For being a bell with just a hint of hot, they were a bit off with this description in my opinion.

I am thinking about growing some new ones this year. I just like trying new things in the garden and then keeping the ones I really like. Each season is then an adventure.

Bulgarian Carrot looks pretty neat. It seems to have a wide ranging heat scale. Could be really nice in salsa or salads.

Lemon Drop. Thinking about a container on this one. Wide ranging heat too, so I'm not sure on usage other than drying it and perhaps in fish dishes.

Not sure if I can find Fresno seed, but it looks like a nice in light heated pepper that would fill the niche below my Jalapeno.

If I can't find that, maybe a cherry pepper?

Big Jim looks interesting in a light heated pepper, but I am afraid it would be too weak like the anaheim.

Anyone ever grow a cayenne blend?

How hot is the fish pepper?

The only other hot pepper I can think of is the Poinsettia Pepper.

Any insight into the peppers I listed or perhaps others I missed would be appreciated. I am not really looking to go any hotter than Habanero peppers and really anything over Cayenne.

Thanks and I look forward to looking around the place.

Hi Bodeen, and welcome to THP!

My experience with Anaheim was the same as yours. I've tried other Anaheim types, such as Beaver Dam, College 64, Joe E. Parker, Georgia Flame, and Sandia. Most were not hot at all, though I did get one or two Beaver Dams with some decent heat, but in my experience, the heat is variable on this type of pepper. I'm trying Big Jim, and Barker this year, which are supposed to be among the hottest of the NuMex types.

On the Fresno pepper, mine were fairly equal in heat to a Jalapeno.

I was disappointed in Lemon Drop, but since I've heard so many good reviews, I'm trying it again from a different seed source.

I'm trying Fish for the first time too, and haven't tried Bulgarian Carrot, so can't comment on those.

Best wishes on the 2012 growing season!

I picked up some Fresno's last night at the grocery store along with some jumbo Jalapeno and Yellow Chili's I made poppers out of all of them for the football games. The wife liked the yellow, but I wasn't a fan. The Fresno's were really good though! I saved the seeds and they're drying now. I will absolutely plant some this season. Not so hot that the wife wouldn't eat them (about the same as a Jalapeno) and really good flavor.
On the anaheim's I grew some last year, and although they had OK flavor...no heat what so ever. I also didn't get a very good yield from them at all. I am putting out Ancho Poblano, and Big Jim this year and hoping for better results.

Good Luck on your season!

So far I have ordered the following seed for this year.

Cayenne
Serrano Tamp
Goliath Jalapeno
Budapest
Big Jim
Biggie Chile Hybrid
Big Bomb
Bulgarian Carrot
Cajun Bell
Cayenne blend
Cherry Bomb
Chenzo
Habanero
Hungarian Wax
Lemon Drop
Super Chili
Tobago

With all the sweet peppers I will be growing this year, I think I have enough peppers selected for the gardens :)

Cayenne
Serrano
Jalapeno
Cayenne
Cherry Bomb
Habanero
Hungarian Wax

I grew these types my first year and wondered how in hell anyone could eat this stuff. I thought at the time the hab's heat was extreme. I have definitely gotten use to them now and can eat them on almost anything. I would love someday to make hab jelly and bet that it's really good. Good luck with your season!!

Back