Hot peppers that produce in high temperature summers?

I've lurked on this forum for years and have seen everyone say that most superhots shut down in terms of fruit production when the temps get above 95 degrees.  I live in the DFW area (around Zone 8a).  Are there any very hot pepper varieties that produce fruit in the summers around here when triple digits can be the norm?  I've had a co-worker say he couldn't stop his orange habanero from producing throughout the summer.  I believe I once read AlabamaJack post something similar.

I'm looking for peppers that are habanero-or-above in terms of heat.  I've had poor luck with Morugas, Butch T's, and Reapers.  They produce, but only by November.  And this is after I put them out as 4" seedlings around March-April, I believe.  This year I had 10 plants that were Morugas, Butch T's, and Reapers.  I got ONE pseudo-ripe pepper before the first freezes hit (about a week ago... and of course, today, it was around 80 degrees... kill me now).  Most of the other peppers were too small to really be viable.  This year, I'm going to try start germinating at the end of December or early January to get a bit of a head start.

Anyway, like I said, any ideas of habanero or hotter that will produce decently in hot summers?

FYI : Here is a possible grow list for me for the upcoming season.  Hopefully I won't have to resort to "jalapenos" for my summer fix and some of these will produce. :D

Trinidad Moruga Scorpion
Carolina Reaper
Chiltepin
Golden Cayenne
Peri-Peri
Fatalii
Jamaican Chocolate Habanero
Orange Habanero
Jamaican Red Mushroom
Scotch Bonnet

Thanks again for the wealth of info you guys and gals have provided the past 3 or 4 years I was lurking.

I can't answer that question directly but is it possible for you to plant the plants somewhere where you can regulate the temperatures? Its not over just because its winter. If those plants are in pots, you can bring them indoors, maintain 80F and give them a home under a HPS globe or an array of T5/CFL's. Down here in Aus, we hit 40c/100f in the middle of spring. Its gonna be a bad summer. During that week two of my flowering plants dropped over 20 flowers. Now the temps are cold and the plants are dropping more but have set about 5 - 6 pods in that time too.

If you can provide the right conditions indoors(light and heat) then you can have your plants produce peppers for you beyond the usual season.

Maybe get some bloom booster in there to help encourage the plant to produce more flowers, the more flowers, the more chances of set pods!

any super hot but just try to start them faster in winter.   your first wave of pods will be when temeprature is still decent   or add shading and some way to avoid extreme heat.

they need all the good for a MUST not be thirsty or they will throw flower down

I've had the best success with orange hab and thats in 110+ heat. It's gotta be hardened up to that though...

Oh, if not looking for "super" hot, cayennes work well too 

gonna need shade cloth! Brazillian Starfish did well for me this year as did Black Stinger. I have an extra Black Stinger if you would like to try it just shoot me your address and I'll send a couple pods. Its a pretty good tasting choco hab variety. (also, you might grab a cheap greenhouse. The freeze didn't hurt mine in there one bit. Best $100 ever! 12x7x7

My habaneros also shut down in the heat.  I've learned to move them to partially shaded areas to compensate.  The pollen becomes sterile in high heat.

I've read that Serranos have the most resistance to pollen sterilization from high heat though they may not meet your Scoville scale criteria.

i grow a few different types, (habs, bhuts, nagas, thai, 7 pot)
none of them liked the summer in Japan. as soon as the typhoons came and cooled things down, they set fruit.
Now its getting realy cold but a few are ripening.. 

It was really hard work looking after them in the summer when it got to 40C some days and 80+% humidity

howardsnm1 said:
my birds eye did well in the hot phx summer.. but as already stated.. the habs seem to like the heat..
nice. If a plant can survive (metro?) phoenix summers, there isn't much that it can't survive... The blazing heat combined with extreme dry really takes its toll on most plants.
If you  harden it off right, you can get away without shade cloth and just provide water almost daily, but shade cloth definitely helps.
lol sorry to all the folks I'm reading about who are experiencing freezes. Had a "cold" day today with a high of only 80. Yesterday was 92 :)

The only chinensis I've seen produce through the hottest part of the summer are the Orange Habaneros, otherwise most of what seems tolerant of heat are some of the annuums like many of the cayenne types, Thai and Indian types (some being like cayennes), Piquins, Chiltepins, Del Arbol, and to some degree Jalapenos and Serranos. Some of the baccatums don't do too bad, but they sure go crazy when the weather moderates in comparison.

Back