Hot sauce does not have to be hot packed?

Learn something new everyday.  Evidently, there is no FDA rule about hot packing or even cooking commercial hot sauce.  In fact, one of the best known hot sauces in the United States is neither hot packed nor even cooked.  This confuses the hell out of me. 

The Hot Pepper said:
It is. Tương Ớt Sriracha is the name of the sauce... "Ferment of Sriracha" in Thai.

However I don't know if it is raw or cooked. I thought they had issues with "cooking" and fumes from their plants.
It is both fermented and cooked. We have a whole thread on how to make it...

Hot Pepper - Ye flog me for thinking people knew what Etsy.com is.  No really, my back itches.

Joy said: "It is both fermented and cooked. We have a whole thread on how to make it..."

If you are making it at home, I guess you can make it how ever you want.  Next guy could make it with a happy meal.  Was talking about the brand with the rooster on the bottle, but evidently there's more than one.  Here is the one I was talking about.

http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/lifestyle/20131211/sriracha-hot-sauce-shortage-begins-after-sales-halted

CA made their laws stricter than the FDA, caused a cock shortage.

Regarding Hoy Fong Sriracha-
In the GIF story d3monic posted, it shows the chile mash being stirred and cooked.  In the YT of David Tran, it shows the chiles being processed and stored in barrels.  They harvest from the one grower and process a year's worth of chiles in the fall.  The YT does not cover the actual processing of the chiles after the barrel storage phase.  As previously mentioned, there was problems with the cooking fumes irritating neighbors. 

salsalady said:
Regarding Hoy Fong Sriracha-
In the GIF story d3monic posted, it shows the chile mash being stirred and cooked.  In the YT of David Tran, it shows the chiles being processed and stored in barrels.  They harvest from the one grower and process a year's worth of chiles in the fall.  The YT does not cover the actual processing of the chiles after the barrel storage phase.  As previously mentioned, there was problems with the cooking fumes irritating neighbors. 

We went through this one SL. The health inspectors when investigating the fumes also found:

Due to new food safety procedures ordered by the California Department of Public Health, Huy Fong Foods, Inc., of Rosemead, CA, will begin holding its sauces for 30 days before shipping them to stores, effective this week.

The holding time went into effect after health officials reviewed the sauce production and found that there was no heated kill-step involved. The sauce will now be held at a specified pH level to control for potentially harmful microorganisms.

The product has been on the market for decades without any reports of food safety issues, but the law has also been around for a long time and applies to all food businesses, the health department said.

Since that hold did go into effect as multiple sources reported the shortage, I would say it is correct.

Either way I don't care. :lol:

But I'm going with uncooked. The gif of the video could be another sauce they make or just the stir, you can't tell it's cooking it looks just like Tabasco's stirring.

Back