• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Hot Sauce Recommendations

Alright, I'm looking for recommendations on personal favorites.

I browsed through the 2010 THP winners and selected and ordered few that sounded awesome (HOLLA @ SALSALADY). I think I'm gonna try some things from Heartbreaking Dawns and DEFCON as well. Any other sauce makers here that sell and are worth trying? Looking for recommendations on what to get from them.

And other sauces that are great and you wanna suggest, too.

most things from heartbreakdawns are good...as well as crazy uncle jesters. CUJ has one called select reserves that is the bomb

Thechileman.org's Snakebite 'Private Reserve'
Firefoods.co.uk's Woody's Reserve (don't think it's in production, but some bottles must travel around)

Thanks! Went ahead and ordered the 1498 Trinidad Scorpion hot sauce from Heartbreaking Dawns. Thinking of going for that Defcon sampler thing they offer? Or should I be looking into something else?

El Yucateco xxxtra hot Kutbil-ik Mayan Style. Awesome smoky flavor and decent heat. Still the best hot sauce I've ever had, it's great in chili, queso blanco, tacos, just about any kind of Mexican food. It's very cheap too, only about $2 a bottle.

Heartbreaking Dawn's 1498 is good too.

^ El Yucateco xxxtra hot is great as a burger topping as well. I drenched one yesterday using the sauce like it was ketchup. Best burger I've ever had.

True Story.

Marie Sharp's (white label) is my everyday sauce. I lived with some Belizians in College and they swore by it... I pretty much do too.

El Yucateco Mayan-Style!! I bring cases of that stuff back from Texas when I visit family.

But yea, something about Marie Sharps white label.
I even put a little dab on each wrist before I leave for work in the morning.

HBD is great as you know by now. Defcon is fascinating to me as creme and cayenne based. I've not had the pleasure of trying Justaguy and SalsaLady's yet, but I will cause so many like it. I would recommend Race City sauces "Bushido Sting" which also uses the Trinidad scorpion as well as "Yuzzu" for a nice asian bite. I also like El Yucateco that others recommend. Good luck

Mike

As others are blowing Defcon's and HBD's horn, I don't need to, so I would second getting somr Race City stuff. He makes some really great stuff. My personal favorites are the 98 Octane, Smokey Hab mustard, and the Smoked Hab jam. Of course, they are all good.

suprised no one has sugested neils sauces. i also sugest from the drooling devil line if you dont mind going canadian.

SoFlo needs some of this HBD stuff! Apparently, it's something good. Can a wozzie make it down to SoFloville for the next Throwdown???

Hot-dogs and HBD (SoFlo'd)... could be the new hotness.

You should know Marcie, you can make a sauce as good or better than you can buy. All the aforementioned sauces are pretty damn good but keep in mind that they all started in someone's kitchen at home. I rarely buy hot sauce and will admit to having an affection for cheap low ball hot sauce like Cholula or Crystal. I can get pretty close on a Cholula clone in The Blues Kitchen. Fermented sauce's not so much. Hab sauces....I can ROCK! and so can you.

Texas Blues, I agree! And that's my goal. But a lil lady has to taste what's out there before she ventures out on her own. I'll get there and more comfortable with my sauces.

Send me some of your creations, baby.

Back