• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

hot-sauce Hot Sauce Snob

I have to say I've never seen cider vinegar listed like that either.

Reminds me of imitation balsamic where they add grape must and caramel color.

But in the end, your tastebuds tell you if it's legit or not. Don't read first, taste first. You will surprise yourself on many occasions.

In the end, eat what you like. But judging a sauce by how thing s are listed on the label, or eliminating sauces because they use apple to thicken is just cutting off a lot of great sauces for the sake of snobbiness.

You say you have researched, and read and whatever. How many super hot sauces have you actually tasted? Have you actually tasted any sauces from the great sauce makers here or from those I suggested?

If the sauces you have tried have been supermarket variety, you really need to expand your search parameters. HEAT hot sauce shop and some other online shops have sauces you will probably never find on a grocery store shelf, and they will definitely light you up.

Sounds like you are happy with your elitist attitude and are not really looking for suggestions of super hot sauces you might actually like. And that's OK.

We are all here on thp to share. We will never all agree and that is OK also. Heck, if that was the case , hot sauces would of never evolved beyond Tabasco!

Have fun with your hot sauce adventures. Hopefully you will perfect your own perfect hot sauce recipe since none other will ever come close to your perfect taste.

PS- extract is not the only thing that can bump up the heat.

Anyway, have fun and post pics of your hot sauce exploits. We love pics~~~
SL

Yep. I guess just looking for others that shared his opinion. Thought maybe some of the posts would pry open the closed mind.

:Shrug:

Looks like we've been played.
http://scorchgarden.com/

All this blathering from a sauce maker who has 3 labels for each sauce and on the green sauce, the 2nd ingredient is tomatillos.

Bummer. From the text and how they grow and process the sauces, could of been something I could of gotten behind.

Scorch Garden said:
I make sauces, but before that, i ate sauces.  I still do, but it's hard to find something i can get behind.

Frank's Red Hot was my go to in the 80s, i had outgrown Tabasco in my early teens and until the 90s there wasn't much of a hot sauce market so choices were limited.
Now that i am experienced in gardening and cooking (not just sauce but in commercial kitchens), my pallet has changed.

I pretty much write off any sauces that have:
  • extracts
  • thickeners
  • sugar
  • preservatives
  • colorings
  • a filler vegetable like tomatoes or carrots as the second ingredient
  • a $5 or less price tag
I consider them basic and impure.
My other issue is since i've been into super hots since 2015, nothing is as hot as it claims to be on the bottle.  That's my fault, but still, when something says XXX HOT and the hottest pepper that is listed is habanero...WTF???

Maybe i'm the odd man out here, which i'm fine with, but does anyone else share my views?

Green Sauce ingredients-\
"Ingredients: * aged ultra hot chili peppers, tomatillo, vinegar, water, salt, garlic, onion, spices"

SIC?  tomatilloS?

only thing missing on the website was the BUY button.  Maybe just send a PM on FB. as that's how most reputable hot sauce makers sell their sauces. 

PS- VINEGAR is a 'preservative'~~~

and I'm ASSUMING (and we all know how that turns out) that all the peppers listed on the labels are in descending order of predominance-( as listed on the website for each sauce)
*Ripe: Carolina Reaper, Ghost Pepper, Trinidad Scorpion, Red Habanero, Cayenne, Serrano
* Ripe and unripe: Carolina Reaper, Ghost Pepper, Trinidad Scorpion, Red Habanero, Cayenne, Serrano, Jalapeno, Hungarian Wax, Pepperoncini
* Ripe and unripe: Carolina Reaper, Ghost Pepper, Trinidad Scorpion, Red Habanero, Cayenne, Serrano, Jalapeno, Hungarian Wax, Pepperoncini

spicefreak said:

Ok, can I just say, screw the bottle on the right? I mean, props to it for listing the ingredients of its fake cider vinegar but flavouring a distilled vinegar does not make it a cider vinegar and claiming that it does is pretty BS.
I hear you. These are some of the issues that go along with using a copacker though from what I've seen. Have you tried the sauce? I have an extra bottle I can send you if you're interested. A lot of members really like it. PM me if you're interested.

salsalady said:
All this blathering from a sauce maker who has 3 labels for each sauce and on the green sauce, the 2nd ingredient is tomatillos.
Shorerider said:
He talks of disliking vegetable fillers like carrots and tomatoes, yet does it himself
IMG_4841.GIF

:seeya: :seeya: :seeya:

The Hot Pepper said:
I have to say I've never seen cider vinegar listed like that either.

Reminds me of imitation balsamic where they add grape must and caramel color.

I have many times but not usually on a finished product like hot sauce. I see cider "flavored" vinegar all the time. Thats why i go for the Heinz or the higher end stuff when in need. Walmart brand "Great Value" is actually cider vinegar and not just flavored.

You REALLY got to watch the Heinz too because the 64oz bottle is flavored and not true cider vinegar. The glass quarts are real cider vinegar and that is the largest i can find.

I can get 1 gallon Western Family ACV.  They also have cider flavored.

BTW, maybe I missed something recently, but since when are "...Red Habanero, Cayenne, Serrano, Jalapeno, Hungarian Wax, Pepperoncini" considered "...ultra hot chili peppers,..." ? 

I only use cider vinegar for stuff like pickles, cukes and green sauces or relish. Walmart Great Value ACV is around $4/gallon.

That "ultra hot" mix sounds more like my medium mix. Personally when i use "habs" i try to avoid other peppers as much as possible because im going for that "hab" flavor. Even less when using a really good tasting chinense like Scotch Bonnets.

ShowMeDaSauce said:

I have many times but not usually on a finished product like hot sauce. I see cider "flavored" vinegar all the time. Thats why i go for the Heinz or the higher end stuff when in need. Walmart brand "Great Value" is actually cider vinegar and not just flavored.

You REALLY got to watch the Heinz too because the 64oz bottle is flavored and not true cider vinegar. The glass quarts are real cider vinegar and that is the largest i can find.

That rings a bell now. Heard that about Heinz too. Weird, as if foodservice companies prefer it or something. I would think the label would need to say Apple Cider Flavored Vinegar on the sauce, like it does on the vinegar.

If Vinegar does not have the "Mother" the stuff on the bottom, then its your typical dead chemical vinegar, easy way to tell is if you take a sip and it burns your throat its the chemical crap, In General. The "Organic" ones like Braggs, Spectrum and the one from Costco (from what I have tried), dont burn your throat, unless your real sensitive.

I have a bottle of Braggs I was gonna make some sauce with if my plants would ever hurry up. Gonna start getting serious about making sauce this year.

I believe the only thing about the Heinz "natural" cider vinegar is its filtered and probably pasteurized. They offer unfiltered too for a significant premium. Charge more for less labor is such a ripoff and so common these days.

I dont really use unfiltered vinegar with mother for hot sauce unless that is all i got on hand. I cant tell any difference in a cooked product and it cost 3-5x more.

I forgot to mention if you want to try a fairly neutral vinegar for hot sauce, i highly recommend cane vinegar. Even Datu Puti's regular one is ok and cheap. Their Premium is even better but can be way more costly too. Just check labels first because some might have preservatives or coloring. Del Monte red cane vinegar is supposed to be really good but you may have problems finding it in the US.

If your peppers are already sweet. Try Rolands dry white wine vinegar. Not terribly expensive by the liter but too costly for a mass produced sauce product. Save it for your "special reserve" sauces. Its around $5/liter at my market. Be aware though, its 7% acidity.

Back