hot sauces

hi everyone, i'm new to this site and i'm from metro detroit. a couple buddies and i have been experimenting with heat levels in our homemade wing sauces. we've been tinkering with heat levels that most people would call extreme and wouldn't be able to handle. on a site like this, i'm sure the sauces and levels of heat are no big deal. we first started out with daves insanity sauce (the original) and used about a 1/2 tablespoon in 1 cup of wing sauce. that was pretty hot at first, but not unbearable. we then increased to a full tablespoon in 1 cup of sauce. very, very hot, yes, but not killer. I bought a bottle of daves ghost pepper sauce and promptly went big. i mixed 2 tablespoons of the ghost pepper sauce and a teaspoon of volcano dust (habanero, red, and ghost pepper)into 1 cup of wing sauce. that was what most would call extreme, i figured. yes it was searingly hot and brought tears to my eyes, a runny nose and profuse perspiration- not to mention a mouth and lips that were totally on fire. we handled it. we want to not be able to handle it. i saw a list online that had scoville ratings for sauces as well as peppers and extracts. the daves ghost pepper sauce was rated at 600,000 on the scoville scale and since we wanted hotter, i looked for hotter sauces. i found vicious viper, rated at 2 million on the scoville scale and i bought it. we haven't used it for our wings yet but have tasted a bit of it, and it certainly seems hotter than daves ghost pepper sauce. i was searching other sites that had lists of sauces and their scoville ratings and they had vicious viper at only 250,000!!! what the hell?! if anyone can tell me whats up with such a huge difference in those ratings, i'd greatly appreciate it! scott roberts web had it for 2 mil and chiliworld had it for 250k.

Welcome fro Twisp, WA!!!

Not to sound like a sauce snob, but when buying hot sauce, ( I ) stay away from sauces , like Dave's insanity, that are made with extracts.
I'm with Defcon on this one, the scoville scale is more of a guideline.
If you have a wing sauce you like, try adding fresh chopped Habaneros to make it hotter. or dried Habanero powder, Or just buy some sauces from Defcon ( I think he sells wing sauces, heh,heh,heh unless those 50 intnl awards are for golf...;) )

Good luck! and enjoy....

Back