• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Hotter peppers and carbs

So, I found a hydroponics place today, and was able to purchase some Forest Fox potting soil. While I was there, the owner was chatting with another customer and showing her some stuff he had in a bucket behind the counter. He said it was an organic mix of his own making, and he ate some to prove it was safe. He said if you put it on peppers, the peppers would be hotter. He said it was some sort of carbs. I didn't press for details, but I was curious, do any of y'all know what he was talking about?

Pam said:
So, I found a hydroponics place today, and was able to purchase some Forest Fox potting soil. While I was there, the owner was chatting with another customer and showing her some stuff he had in a bucket behind the counter. He said it was an organic mix of his own making, and he ate some to prove it was safe. He said if you put it on peppers, the peppers would be hotter. He said it was some sort of carbs. I didn't press for details, but I was curious, do any of y'all know what he was talking about?

No clue. But you peaked my interest. What did his face look like when he ate it?

We talked about this on another thread shortly and apparently Putrescine enhances capsaicin production...could it be the crab he had in there?....

AlabamaJack said:
Putrescine enhances capsaicin production...could it be the crab he had in there?....

Weren't you guys saying that was from rotting flesh. Wouldn't that make him sick?

AlabamaJack said:
We talked about this on another thread shortly and apparently Putrescine enhances capsaicin production...could it be the crab he had in there?....

He ate it. And it didn't stink. And it was a mostly white powder

Some chemical compounds (such as Putrescine which was mentioned above) seem to increase Cap production, but I mostly think the guy is an idiot.

AlabamaJack said:
cocaine? I mean it was a hydro shop....were his eyes glassy?

Well, he was pretty lively, but there was no crusty white residue around his nose.

White powder makes me think it was some kind of crushed shell or something...I pure guessing now...

Pam...have you got a feel how much 1 mmol/liter is?

you got that post before I deleted it...you are quick Pam

AlabamaJack said:
White powder makes me think it was some kind of crushed shell or something...I pure guessing now...

Pam...have you got a feel how much 1 mmol/liter is?

you got that post before I deleted it...you are quick Pam

What...millimole/liter? What am I measuring?

He said we, (the other lady and I) could get a free sample later if we wanted to try it.

I am *not* going to eat it, but I'll send it to one of you.

putricine...the strength that was tested for capsaicin enhancement

AlabamaJack said:
putricine...the strength that was tested for capsaicin enhancement

Why am I measuring putricine? And yes, I work in a lab, I have a vague notion of measurements despite having my ass kicked by organic chemistry.

Where would you even get a commercial preparation of putricine?

If it's carbs, it's probably something like this:
11132343491_Sweet1.JPG

http://www.americanagritech.com/product/product_detail.asp?id=1&pro_id_pk=29&pattern=sweet

I know they use this stuff to help growing pot, supposed to help increase flavonoid production and make it taste better. So who knows how it would help with peppers. I know my grandad used to use molasses in his garden, and that is mostly carbs.....

from experience i know you can make your own by leaving some bait in half a cooler of water out in the sun a few days. Then just pour the water on your garden.
Putrification has a very distinct smell.

AlabamaJack said:
If it was tested in a lab environment wouldn't you think it would be available?

yup...

http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalog/ProductDetail.do?N4=P5780|SIGMA&N5=Product No.|BRAND_KEY&F=SPEC

Not necessarily. A lot of labs make their own chemicals, or special order one off runs of drugs or compounds. I have chemicals in the freezer sometimes that cost more than my yearly salary because they were special order.

But I think Texasclosetgrower has found a more likely answer to what it is.

bentalphanerd said:
from experience i know you can make your own by leaving some bait in half a cooler of water out in the sun a few days. Then just pour the water on your garden.

No thank you, I'll stick with the manure and Tomato-tone.

Putrification has a very distinct smell.

Oh yeah.

Txclosetgrower said:
If it's carbs, it's probably something like this:
11132343491_Sweet1.JPG

http://www.americanagritech.com/product/product_detail.asp?id=1&pro_id_pk=29&pattern=sweet

I know they use this stuff to help growing pot, supposed to help increase flavonoid production and make it taste better. So who knows how it would help with peppers. I know my grandad used to use molasses in his garden, and that is mostly carbs.....

Ah ha! Thank you!

I bet what he had is some variation on this. I'm not sure the effect of sudden nitrogen deprivation is pronounced enough in dirt growing to make a huge difference to plant productivity, but hey, it can't hurt to give it a try.

He kept saying it would increase the heat, and this talks about increasing flavor and aroma. I supposed capsicum could be considered an aromatic oil...eh, I don't know, I'd have to look it up.

Anyway, I suppose it could increase heat, but increasing flavor would be of more interest to me.

Back