• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Hotter peppers and carbs

Pam said:
Ok, that was an interesting if long read.

Thanks

No problem Pam, I had found that a long time ago but lost the link, I'm glad I came across it again just now.

I think I might give it a shot this season, figure can't hurt too much.

Txclosetgrower said:
No problem Pam, I had found that a long time ago but lost the link, I'm glad I came across it again just now.

I think I might give it a shot this season, figure can't hurt too much.

Well, if nothing else you would increase microbial activity in the soil, and as long as it is the right microbes being more active, that has to be a good thing.

I had never heard of powdered molasses, but it would explain why he was willing to eat the stuff.

Interesting, so plants also like molasses?

*Throws a molasses cookie at one of the seedlings*

mmm... doesn't seem to respond.

Omri said:
Now it's broken. happy?
*Goes and get another cookie*

It's appalled by your lack of manners. You should have put several cookies on a plate and let the seedling select its own.

Txclosetgrower said:
*Throws a squirrel at Pam*

*The Ever Alert Aussie (dog, not antipodean) snatches the squirrel in mid-air, shakes it, and fetches it back to Tx for him to throw again*

You can't even say that word around here without getting two Puppies O'Thunder on their feet, prancing, and looking for those fun animated squeaky toys.

Pam said:
*The Ever Alert Aussie (dog, not antipodean) snatches the squirrel in mid-air, shakes it, and fetches it back to Tx for him to throw again*

You can't even say that word around here without getting two Puppies O'Thunder on their feet, prancing, and looking for those fun animated squeaky toys.

*Throws Pam at Omri*

Well, according to the link Tx posted, we don't need a modern solution unless we have a burning need to spend a bunch of money. All we need is a bottle of blackstrap molasses.

That article sorta triggered a question with me, though, one that I've considered before. A lot of these products go on and on about feeding the soil microbes implying that all soil microbes are beneficial. Well, they're not. Blight and several of the wilts come through the soil, and I was kind of noodling and wondering about how we could tell which microbes it is we're feeding.

And, I've never come up with an answer, or how to track down answers. I suppose I should start with the extension office, huh?

I just *love* BioBizz. it ain't cheap, but sure is nice. my Bio-Grow bottle actually looked different, but ok... :shocked:
I think I have one of those flyers lying around. let me just find it. :)

Just my own opinion, but it seems like most of the products out there are kinda the same. all those "extras" are mostly worthless, but a good basic fertilizer is hard to find.

I had a free sample of "carbo load" that I tried a few years ago, but it was difficult to tell any noticable differences

POTAWIE said:
I had a free sample of "carbo load" that I tried a few years ago, but it was difficult to tell any noticable differences
Exactly! I did get wonderful results with all those fancy "addons", but it was pretty wonderful even the weird extras.

Omri said:
Exactly! I did get wonderful results with all those fancy "addons", but it was pretty wonderful even the weird extras.

The big thing here is Seasol, a seaweed extract, meant to make plants happier, sexier, find them a date, listen to their drunken rambles at night, all sorts of things. Anyway, my mom did a test of seasol plant versus non-seasol plant, everything else the same, (and when I say plant I mean a small house size block of garden, her garden is huge), and there was no difference a any stage.

Anyway, back to the molasses, apart from bringing in the worst possible microbial attack known to man, what is the worst that could happen if you did use it?

Found it. :)

I personally thought Bio-Grow and Bio-Bloom are one heck of a fertilizer when used together. TopMax was ok, I think...

Pam said:
Well, according to the link Tx posted, we don't need a modern solution unless we have a burning need to spend a bunch of money. All we need is a bottle of blackstrap molasses.

I agree with ya Pam, I'm not into spending $$$ on stuff that can be done naturally with things at hand. Eggshells and coffee grounds anyone? I save mine...chiles seem to love calcium and semi-acidic soil. ;)

Plus, I always hava bottle of Brer's around for my PB, Banana & Molasses sammiches.

Pam said:
That article sorta triggered a question with me, though, one that I've considered before. A lot of these products go on and on about feeding the soil microbes implying that all soil microbes are beneficial. Well, they're not. Blight and several of the wilts come through the soil, and I was kind of noodling and wondering about how we could tell which microbes it is we're feeding.

And, I've never come up with an answer, or how to track down answers. I suppose I should start with the extension office, huh?

I wonder if it could be related to pH or other chemical levels controling the type of microbes lurking about?

I mean, a proper organic setup w/ compost and such is pretty well self-regulating FAIK. But, I haven't done it in decades due to apt. living constraints.

-QS

Back