• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

heat Hottest C. Annum

I don't know if somebody already started a topic similar to this but i'm just wondering, what's the hottest capsicum annum cultivar out there?

Since i find chinenses harder to grow than anuums, i might consider growing that c. annum variety.

Thanks in advance.

Wikipedia told me Piri Piri or Guntur Sannam.

If I am reading this correctly, Guntur Sannam rates at around 226,000 scovilles, which is essentially the rating of an average Orange Hab.
Piri Piri can go up to 176,000 scovilles for certain varieties/strains.

All wikipedia.

I asked this question before and tepin was the only answer I got
Is piri piri not a frutescens?
I just read on Wiki that Guntur Sannam is only 35,000 to 40,000 SHU although others say its way hotter
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guntur_Sannam

One of the Thai annums is supposed to go 100,000 SHU. I think it's the one called prik kee noo, but it's not the little one the size of a rat turd; it's a bigger one (red, 1-1/2" long) used in som tam (papaya salad). I'm well familiar with Habaneros and hot Jalapenos and this Thai hottie gets ones attention.

A couple of years ago, someone from Denmark crossed a Goat's Weed and an Orange Thai and formed a red thai pepper. I was sent a dried pod of it. OMG was it hot. That was my vote.

I believe I am growing guntur sannam, the bag of dried chile peppers just says stemless chile, product of India and the back of the bag is verbose with how high a quality the company delivers but I have matched up the dried chile with other pictures on the internet and my pods are a complete match. (I have pictures posted, just do a search on guntur).

Anyways, I have ground the dried chiles into a powder and its heat level is equivalent to ceyenne, I am guessing 30,000 - 40,000 scoville. Brilliant dark red powder and decent flavour - just had some on a sandwich.

I have several annums growing and by far my goats weed just makes my mouth burn. I can put 4 chopped up in a large pot of soup and it holds the heat unlike some of my chinense that seem to lose heat when cooked or it appears that way to me.

My tepins were small with a seed inside as large as the berry and at first bite caused a burning in the mouth but then the heat disappeared rather quickly, perhaps due to the small size and the very long maturing time. I started the seeds in Feb/Mar '09 and the pods weren't ripe until the end of Nov'09. The plant overwintered nicely but this year has not produced one flower.

Super Hot Chili F1 has a quick burn, hotter than ceyenne but still not as hot as goats weed. I have a hot portugal growing but can't remember how hot they are or their flavour(thus why I am growing them again). Bulgarian carrot are not ready yet and my poor kung pao got hammered by hail in a recent storm, one long flower remains. I was given suryanki cluster and the original plant had some sizzle, a bit more than ceyenne but this years crop seem to lost all heat value maybe 2,000 scoville - don't know what happened here(they are now going into their 2nd year).

got seedlings of goat's weed siling_labuyo, will share some once i have enough fruit. and afaik, goat's weed is a very prolific pod producer. you will have your fair share and more from me.

I asked this question before and tepin was the only answer I got
Is piri piri not a frutescens?
I just read on Wiki that Guntur Sannam is only 35,000 to 40,000 SHU although others say its way hotter
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guntur_Sannam

I'd have to go with that one as well. I'll be trying to grow those sometime in August when the seeds get here.

I got my goatsweed from a friend, who brought the seeds back from vietnam in 2002 and I have been growing them ever since. I never knew what they were called and when I joined the hot pepper forum I posted pictures and got immediate responses.....goatsweed... now I wanted them to be "thai dragons" or "vietnam super hots" or "killer scorpians" but no, I had to live with goatsweed baaaaaaaa!

The plant is just plain pretty with fuzzy white fir on the stems and when they flower the plant is usually overwhelmed with white umbrella like flowers, then the plants starts to produce and produce pods it does. Like the video shows, the pods point upwards and start out green, then they turn black and then finally the pods turn a brilliant shiny red. I wouldn't eat a fresh whole pod but I do slice them up and chew on the smaller pieces throughout the day, they keep my inners warm during out very cold winters. The seeds in the pod run the full length of the pod, thus the feeling of a very seedy pod but I am guessing that is what gives a pod its long lasting heat, as the placenta runs the length of the pod, versus pods that have seeds congested around the stem. The pod flavour is pungent with an extremely red bell pepper flavour(not sweet), as Scott describes "peppery".

The plant is very hearty as well and overwinter very nicely, they tolerate cool weather 5C, I don't know about top heat level as my hottest day (on the rarest occasion) may hit 30C(max). I have had plants live for 4 years.

I won't be growing tepins again as they weren't designed for my growing conditions, they hate any type of weather change. Its almost like the tepin is the sissy of the pepper world: hates cool weather, hates rain, hates wind, hates any type of change in conditions and with any type of change the plant sheds its leaves. Twice this year my plant has gone almost bald.

I already faced the same problems siling_labuyo is having about growing some of the more hottest chinenses...

Since I have tons of piri-piri's here in Portugal, and they grow really well, I was thinking about starting to mix around and get a few hybrids that could grow fast and produce great even if they were not as hot as the original nuclears.
Its just bad to come home and see, day after day, your naga's and bhuts loose all their flowers.

Bleash

I already faced the same problems siling_labuyo is having about growing some of the more hottest chinenses...

Since I have tons of piri-piri's here in Portugal, and they grow really well, I was thinking about starting to mix around and get a few hybrids that could grow fast and produce great even if they were not as hot as the original nuclears.
Its just bad to come home and see, day after day, your naga's and bhuts loose all their flowers.

Bleash

yes bleash its frustrating. i know the feeling. annums = going strong, chinenses = constant flower drop and slow grower.. :(

Back